“Great Suite Style Hotel one block from the action”
Review of Hotel Le Crystal

Hotel Le Crystal
Ranked #13 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersGold level
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Great Suite Style Hotel one block from the action”
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Great hotel, situated in good location. Big spacious rooms. Very clean with everything you could want. Free Nespresso in your room too. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Turkish first
tampa
Reviewed November 28, 2010

My wife and I spent Thanksgiving weekend in Montreal. We booked our stay at Le Crystal through the Monteral Tourism site as part of a fall package (get second night for 50% off plus some goodies upon arrival). It was a great deal! From the moment we arrived, the entire hotel staff was extremely attendant to our every need! After a small mix-up during which our reservation was not initially located, Sophie checked us in and told us we had been upgraded to a beautiful suite. Our suite overlooked downtown, and had a large tub that sat within a huge bathroom (which also included a wonderful glass walled shower - GREAT water pressure), an enclosed bedroom (insulating it from the cold windows and the noise of the city) with an extremely comfortable bed, and a living room/sitting area which included a couch and coffee table, leather chair and desk with desk chair. There were also 2 flat screen TVs, one in the bedroom, the other in the living room. The room was very quiet and very clean. The valet service took great care of our car and bags and the front desk helped direct us through the city. It was very nice that cars here are parked underground. This came in handy as the day we left it had snowed all day and, had our car been kept above ground, we would have spent some time having to clean the snow and ice off of it. The hotel is very well located - near the metro, the underground city, Old Montreal, and Rue de St. Catherine. Add to that the delightful staff and beautiful room, and Le Crystal is a fantastic place to stay! As other travellers have indicated, you certainly do not need a car in Montreal. The metro is clean, quick and easy to navigate and takes you just about anywhere you want to go. If you do drive, traffic is really awful, esp. on Rue de St. Catherine (much like traffic in NYC), so, be prepared for drive times to be much longer than you might have anticipated.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Although I have stayed at many hotels around the globe, I am very impressed with this hotel. Indeed, we stayed during the November 20th weekend when the hotel was at 100% capacity (big professionnal football and hockey games) and the service and cleanliness of the room were excellent. We had requested a few items before our arrival (crib and bathrobes for the kids) and everything was delivered as requested.

Also, for anyone going to a sporting (we went the the Montreal Canadiens game) or concert event at the Bell centre, this is the place to stay at. The walk back to the hotel was less than a minute away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I'm actually sitting in Le Crystal right now. I love hotels and manage a boutique property.
I tend to only stay in boutique properties. The website of Le Crystal was inviting, the combination of luxury and boutique appealed to me. The hotel is well designed, quiet, superb service but it has more of a business feel than a boutique feel.

I am staying for 5 nights. I was given a suite with a balcony but no bathtub. I did call to ask because the floorplans all showed a bathtub. Sadly a balcony AND a bathtub could only be procured at an upgrade for an additional 80 dollars a night. Now the room is available, the hotel is not busy and I am staying 5 nights. The cost of making me happy to the hotel is nothing. The staff has been trained to upsell but I come from the hospitality school of thought that if the cost to the hotel is nothing I will go in for guest satisfaction EVERY time.

Both my friend and I were surprised that no one mentioned that the hotel had a much more business feel rather than a boutique feel. We wanted a large comfy room to hang in if the weather was bad. The room is large, well equipped, clean but lacking the character of the common areas,

The rooms are well maintained. The staff has been trained to a very high degree in personal service. The housekeeping is well done. The front desk staff has been superb.
My reservation was lost when I arrived but it was handled promptly and professional.
The reception picks up immediately are are completely reactive to any request.

Every restaurant that the concierge has told us about has been spot on.

The service and philosophy is that of a boutique hotel and kudos to the effort that has gone into the staff training.

Will I come back, I'm not sure.... I've been awake since 4 am and would truly have loved a hot bath but not at 240 dollars.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Vacationing in Montreal in November was a great idea. The Le Crystal was a fantastic choice for our family. Upgraded to a larger suite. Great with two teenage boys. Staff was excellent and very helpful. Close to everything including metro, arena, shops, and restaurants. Hotel had very nice indoor pool and outdoor hot tub. Staff was helpful and responsive throughout stay. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank PittsburghBounce
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Just arrived from a 5 day stay at this hotel and I must say it is one of the best business hotels I have ever stayed. Not just rooms and restaurant are great, front desk is amazing and WILL go an extra mile for you. Arrived at the same day Canadians were playing at the Center Bell. Concierge provided tickets easily. Rooms are spotless. Everything works fine. Service is outstanding. Definitely will stay here again. One block from St Catherine where you can find shops, cinemas and restaurants. A couple of blocks from whatever you need. Stay here, I do recommend and if you doubt me, please read my other reviews and you will see that I don't say that often.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Antonio-ASJR
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2010

This was our second time at Le Crystal - we stayed at Le Crystal two years ago when they first opened and again just this past weekend. We were glad to see that the hotel has aged well and that except for a couple of minor things the rooms still look very nice.

The rooms are big and spacious - loads of closet space. Love that they have a comfortable couch that you can flop onto at the end of a long day - although the colour is starting to show the dirt and its a bit of a turnoff.

Bathroom is large and amenities are good - although the staff forgot to refill amenities when they cleaned ...we figured we'd get some at turn-down but somehow we must have been overlooked - no turn-down.

The location is excellent - fabulous for shopping, taking in a hockey game (just across the street), or sightseeing. We walked from Old Montreal back to the hotel in minutes.

Staff were okay but not what you would expect from a five star - no valet at the door upon arrival, staff a bit disorganized at the front desk, no valet on departure, no refill on amenities or bar, etc. Nothing horrible by any stretch but just not what you expect of service from a higher end hotel.

We would stay here again ...just adjust our expectations in terms of the service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
CrystalGM, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Dear Montcalm,

First, thank you for trying us a second time and thank you for your valid comments.

In our effort to further demonstrate we are indeed an exceptional value in our classification range, service consistency and sense of urgency to be passionate about the guest experience is our number one objective at the moment. I am aware that we are just adequate and as you well stated it was below the expectation level of Hotel Le Crystal. So that you feel supported in your comments, as general manager I just a installed a closed circuit TV put in my office so that I see the arrival areas and the precise delay to greet guests in order to ensure that arrival and departure is as excellent as the rest of the building! We are definitely working to ensure impression and service consistency are both top notch.

Thank you again for your kind comments, always appreciated...

Geoff Allan