“Man what a nice place”

Hotel Le Crystal
Ranked #12 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Well, forget all the other hotels...this place was great...its pricey but if you are going on vacation forget the price. All the rooms are suites with two tv's one in the bedroom and one in the living area. If you are like me, my wife and I have a tiff about what program to watch. Bring walking shoes, and buy the 3 day pass at the metro...take the bus...the drivers are very good...you can get on and off as you please...see the city...Old town is a must. Now the bad, weird people everywhere. Bring mucho money...unless youi are going to eat at Mc Donalds, food is a little high...Good Luck....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Crystal

Reviewed June 3, 2009

This hotel is one of the best EVER! My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in May and it was the best experience ever. The staff was very nice and very attentive. Our every questions and every concern was addressed. The rooms are great. We were upgraded from the urban suite to the Superior suite without even asking. The bathroom was huge, with a large shower and jack/jill sinks. It was great to have the separate living and bedroom area. Speaking of the bedroom, the bed was better than the Ritz of any other place we ever stayed. It's a pillow top mattress with very soft sheets and great pillows.
The Jacuzzi on the deck and the indoor pool are great places to relax before dinner after all the sightseeing and walking around. It is a very expensive hotel, but we got a great deal through Hotwire. The hotel is located on the English speaking side, walking distance to the Old Towne, the Basilica, the underground malls, bars and clubs. There is a great Irish bar across the street, The Old Orchid. If you are in the mood for an authentic French meal, Chez La Mère Michel, is a great restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was great. It's our family owned restaurant and our waiter, Marc, has worked there for years. Don't go to Globe restaurant regardless of what anyone tells you. The service is the worst you'll ever get, not worth the atmosphere or the money.

If you go to Montreal, Hotel Le Crystal is a must!!!

Reviewed June 1, 2009

I visited the Crystal with my husband and young daughter, and with another couple. The hotel was unable to provide us with side-by-side rooms as we had requested, but we were just 4 doors apart and this was not an issue. Our room was beautiful -- as described by numerous other reviewers, they are all suites, with separate living and sleeping quarters. I'm a mattress snob and thought the mattresses at the Crystal were extremely comfortable. My daughter slept on the sofa bed, which (being just 3) didn't bother her at all -- for myself, my experiences lying on it when reading books at night were enough to convince me I wouldn't want to spend a whole night on it! (But again, I wouldn't book a hotel room planning to sleep on the sofa bed -- just be warned if you have picky sleepers who will be using it that it is like every other sofa bed they have ever met!)

The bathroom, with the rainfall shower and the soaking tub, was perfect. I nixed the pool on the last day for my daughter, as I found the water temperature a bit cool and she was developing a cold -- and she was perfectly happy playing in the warm tub instead! The amenities in the kitchen were perfect, with a sink, plenty of space in the refrigerator for leftovers, and even a microwave and kettle (and toaster, I think). I don't drink coffee but if I did, would have loved the cappuccino maker in the rooms. My husband, who's a "regular coffee" guy, would have liked a coffee maker that made more than a demitasse at a time.

The pool area was beautiful, filled with light from wrap-around windows, and much larger than I expected it to be. As stated, I would have liked the water temp to be a bit warmer, but my daughter certainly didn't mind it and my husband didn't seem to either. The outdoor hot tub was the biggest I have ever seen, and my only wish is that it, too, had been a bit warmer (and I'm a person who usually likes to keep the hot tub under 100). Being outside, and being Canada, the air was cool enough that a couple of extra degrees in the hot tub would have been much welcomed.

The location of the hotel is perfect for shopping, and it is convenient to the Metro to go farther afield. Parking was convenient and the valet staff were all quick and courteous (just be aware that they will add $26/day to your bill for parking -- as most of the other hotels in the area do as well).

On previous visits to Montreal we have stayed at the Hotel de la Montagne and at the Delta. The Crystal would seem to be a more expensive option but good deals were available and we would definitely choose the Crystal first for future visits, all things being equal.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank anniebob29
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My wife and I just spent three nights at this wonderful hotel. We had a spacious suite (non-fireplace, non-balcony suite). We really enjoyed having 2 TVs so I could stay up late and unwind out in the living area while my wife slept in the bedroom area.

The hotel staff was all very friendly and helpful.

We enjoyed the rain-head shower and the soaking tub.

The expresso machine was a nice touch and the mini-bar fridge had enough room to put leftovers in it for a later heat-up in the in-room microwave.

Everything still had the new-feel about it in the hotel.

The pool and hot tub seemed to always be busy during our stay. It would have been nicer for them to stay open a little later into the evening.

The only negative at all was the temperature in the room. The air conditioning claimed it would go down to 18 degrees celsius which would be about 64 degrees fahrenheit. It never got that cool, especially in the bedroom. At night we opened the two large windows in the living room but because of the bed being behind a wall, the breeze never really hit us and made sleeping a little too warm for us. We're the type that wouldn't mike seeing our breath when we sleep so it was a little tough on us.

Only other thing that caused me to leave one point off on cleanliness was a bottlecap that stayed in the same spot in the hallway for our entire stay which made us think they weren't cleaning the carpets in the halls.

1  Thank bostonluke
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed at Hotel Le Crystal for a week recently, and our experience was so great we felt compelled to write this review!

The hotel reception, hallways, and bedrooms were decorated beautifully.
The room itself was massive - had a separate living room, bedroom, kitchen area, and a massive bathroom! I was truly very impressed with the set-up. The sofa in the living room was also a sofa-bed. The kitchen area came with a kettle, micowave, coffee machine, tea, coffee, cutlery, and plates. It came in very handy a couple of times when we decided to get takeaway and relax in the room for the evening. There were 2 large television sets (!) - one in the bedroom, and one in the living room. The mattress and pillows were super comfy - you'll feel 10 years younger waking up!
The walk-in-shower had 2 different shower heads, with excellent water pressure, and a large vanity area.

The free newspaper at your door each morning was a very nice touch.

However, my absolute favourite bit of the hotel was the spa area on the 12th floor. It was open from 7am-9pm, and the use of the facilities were inclusive as part of your stay. The excellent facilities included a very large hot tub (still can't stop thinking about it!), large swimming pool, 2 saunas, towels, and recliner chairs. There were lockers in the changing room which made things even easier. There was also a gym that was open 24/7.

The cleaner that was incharge of that area daily was amazing - i have never seen a man scrub and polish repeatedly with a smile! Germs had no chance! He left the area immaculate when he was done, and would keep coming back to check on it.

The front desk staff were superbly helpful with everything, And the free internet stations downstairs came in handy as well.

In terms of value for money - i think we got way above and beyond what we paid for. We visited the Hilton Metropole for a conference while staying here, and there was just no comparison!! Hotel Le Crystal blew it out the water - i'm very glad we chose to stay at Hotel Le Crystal. So, absolutely thrilled, and if i ever am in montreal again, will definitely stay here again.

The location was excellent - everything was within walking distance. Getting to the hotel from the airport only cost $25 each. We took a coach service called L'Aerobus. You can buy tickets from the booth at the airport, and the coach takes you into the central bus station. From there, a free shuttle bus service will drop you off at Hotel Le Crystal. On the way back, just call them one day in advance to make a reservation for your seat back on the coach. Otherwise you can take a taxi, but will cost a lot more.

My only dislike about the hotel was the restaurant, in that there were essentially no vegetarian options on the menu. As a result, we didn't have any meals in the hotel's restaurant. There was an amazing vegetarian restaurant within 7 minutes walking distance from the hotel called "Le Commensal" - which is a must go to for incredibly delicious, healthy, filling food.

Finally, i think they should have supplied & supported a Canadian Brand of toiletries (shower gel, shampoo etc) instead of Molton Brown London products. We went to Canada to experience Canada, not to be reminded of london!!

But, other than those 2 minor issues, it was just lush!! Would happily pay all over again for another stay. Seriously, forget the rest of the hotels in downtown montreal - this is the real gem!

1  Thank smartprincess
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed in a superior suite over the Easter weekend. All the rooms are suites and the room was even better than I expected. The bedroom and lounge areas are separated but a sliding door, there are LCD TVs in both the bedroom and lounge with a sofa and small table in the lounge area.

The bathroom was enormous with twin sinks, a wide and deep bath and separate walk in shower.

There was a small modern well equipped fitness room. With pool, sauna rooms and there was a deck but it was too cold to check it out, but looked nice.

We eat in the hotel restaurant on the night we arrived rather than search out somewhere else as it was late, the food & service were very good and the hotel bar is small but nice for a nightcap.

The staff were very friendly and the front desk was very helpful with very good restaurant recommendations and even offering to book my onward train tickets.

Very much recommended for anyone visiting Montreal.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelling35
Reviewed April 20, 2009

After much research my husband and I chose Hotel le Crystal for our trip to Montreal. We read the reviews and were not worried about our choice, however, we were not prepared for the first class treatment we received. The front desk staff were friendly and gracious. We just had to ask the question and they had the answer and if they didn't they found the answer for us. The suite we stayed in was large and airy with an espresso machine and a variety of flavours to choose from. The bathroom was huge and the beds were comfortable. I don't know why this hotel is not listed in the top 5 hotels in Montreal. It has a great location and the best staff I have ever dealt with in my life. (And we've been to Walt Disney World a few times where the staff are excellent). I stopped after checking out to let the front desk know how impressed we were. We will go back over and over if they keep giving this kind of service.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple