“Best sleep in a hotel ever”
Review of Hotel Le Crystal

Hotel Le Crystal
Ranked #12 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Excellent location - a little further away from the main shopping area on Ste-Catherine, but quieter. Very nice modern room with huge shower with a rain shower head, and the most comfortable bed that we have ever slept in. Memory foam on a great mattress to begin with, in a dark and quiet room. Separate bedroom door inside the main room keeps all light out, and any noise from the hallway - if there was any. Couch and TV outside the bedroom. Parking is confusing - we parked in the underground parking of the hotel next door by accident. Enquire about directions for parking before you arrive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andree59

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Wonderful hotel. Prompt, courteous service followed up by a peaceful stay. Comments:

- Location was perfect (for me). Just over one block from the Lucien-L'Allier Metro stop and one block from the very busy Sainte-Catherine street. Plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from.

- Lobby and reception areas are first class. It took all of 3 minutes to check-in and be on my way.

- I was upgraded to a Deluxe Suite, without asking. My 9th floor room was spotless.

- The bathroom, with a soaking tub (did not use) and a shower with a rainfall waterhead was great. Molton Brown accessories was a nice touch.

- As with most hotels now, the Wi-Fi service was very slow at times due to (I assume) heavy usage.

Great hotel. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel twice for work (I think the cost was ~$260/night). Each room has a big bathroom (including a soaker tub (no jets), a nice shower with a regular shower head and a rain shower head (you can have both on at the same time!), two sinks, toilet, scale), a separate room with the bed (also nightstands, a flatpanel at the foot of the bed, closet, and a desk and chair), a living room area with couch, coffee table, and flatpanel tv, and a kitchenette (which includes a little table and chairs, fridge, microwave, coffee-maker, dishes). The room also includes a bathrobe, qtips, cotton pads (like cotton balls but flat), shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, soap, loofah scrubber, shower cap, sewing kit, bath salts, and a nail file (all Molton Brown). So basically, everything you need. I noticed there was no toothbrush/toothpaste (as the Intercontinental in Montreal does have this), but if you forgot yours, you could buy a kit from the mini bar area in the kitchenette (I think it was ~$1.85). Overall, I liked this hotel (my favorite part was the rain shower - first time I've ever had the chance to use one). It's only a block from St Catherine, the major shopping street, but is super quiet. Reception was attentive and nice (and there was a bowl of granny smith apples for guests there). The hotel also has some dedicated cars/drivers that you can use for a good price rather than trying to hail a taxi ($10 to Complexe Desjardins, including tip). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just completed my second stay. What jumped to mind during this stay was how nice everyone is here. For me, service is huge and the root of all service is just being nice. I found this on both stays. Other key highlights that will bring me back are great location, a good restaurant and a comfy bed. I think a very good, reliable place to stay when in downtown.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I did find the hotel location very convenient and located in a very enjoyable area, the room offered obviously quality and satisfaction, on the fourth floor the room view offered two garbage bins and being surrounded by other buildings does not provide great outside views. I believe that your company strive to offer the best possible customer service in order to meet your statement as to be one of the finest institutions in Montreal, unfortunately, the lines followed by your attendants reveals major customer care deficiencies creating opposition to your advertisement.

My stay began by an early arrival at the hotel; the front desk attendant demonstrated kindness by verifying if a room was available for us, even if we were few hours prior to check-in time set by your internal policies. Before releasing the room she had to make a phone call to ensure the room was well ready, her interlocutor said that he would verify and call her back. I stood few feet’s away from the front desk waiting for the call return, after standing for a while I returned to the agent and asked her if it was ready? Believe it or not, but she had already forgot about it and myself. Unfortunately her kind attempt failed by her carelessness towards me.

Later that day I had a scheduled appointment for 80 minutes therapeutic massage at the Amerispa in your establishment, from the minute I walked in to the time I walked out this experience was more than unpleasant. The front desk girl had evidently bad attitude and conducted herself very unprofessional all the way. I sat in the "relaxing waiting" area for the therapist to long. Once in the room, she tended to avoid the therapeutic massage as it could hurt me, she seemed not to be in the mood for that type of service, after my insistence, she tried to offer me better body products for the proposed massage at an extra cost and if I was choosing so, I had to go back to the front desk for payment before the massage begins. During the treatment, the allegedly therapist would not stop talking, asking useless questions. Inside the room, I could hear from the spa hallway people talking, laughing opening, closing doors and I could hear the outside rush. After completion of the bodywork she then pulled me aside in the hallway to try selling me body rubbing gel. As I walked out, the same girl at the front desk with the same attitude asked me how much I was going to give for gratuity. Please understand that, when I decide to visit a spa, it is to obtain relaxation, smoothness and wellbeing, your spa did not offer me any of this and I left this place frustrated after an 80 minutes treatment.

Having not the privilege the night before to experience the Coupole restaurant, I decided to try the apparently well reputed restaurant for breakfast before my departure. I was greeted by the waitress at the second floor entrance and her first statement was that she hoped I wouldn’t mind being sat in the closed section and not feel secluded as she had no other table available. If she would have not mentioned that, I would of never notice that I was sitting in a closed section of the restaurant, as the place looked almost fully occupied. I sat with my wife and waited 15 minutes for the menus, and then we asked for coffee, 10 minutes later we did get one and this was the only coffee we got during our breakfast hour. The food was good, but was not what I had ordered. It seemed like last Saturday morning the customer unhappiness was common to most clients, as the waitress experienced issues at most tables. I truly don’t understand why this girl was alone in your restaurant to serve Saturday morning breakfast in a hotel that appeared not to offer vacancies.

The pool lifeguard was very kind and the concierge desk officer was very prompt by assisting me for the limousine service for my departure, and the limousine transportation to Trudeau airport was up to my expectations.

I did not meet their website statements overall quality and the promised of lushness environment during my visit in the hotel. Be assured that I was expecting more according to the advertisement on their website. This should also be sternly reviewed in order not to misled customers and to avoid higher expectations than reality may offer once experiencing the representativeness.

Room Tip: the higher the better..... I was on the 4th, floor.... Great view on garbage bins and old walls of s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
CrystalGM, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Mr. Rheault,

Thank you very much for your extensive review from your recent stay.

We appreciate your general satisfaction with location, amenities and room layout. I noted your check in time of 10:42 am at which time you were granted access to your suite, given our regular check-in time is 3:00 pm, I was hoping a 4 hour advance check-in would exceed expectation. Given your vehement displeasure with the view from the suite assigned I am questioning why you did not bring this to our attention given your early arrival time? To be clear, I do not disagree with your opinion of this particular room view. You were assigned to the last Deluxe suite we had and the only Deluxe suite facing west into the adjacent building approximately 100 feet away overlooking our driveway access to the garage. If we had known of your displeasure we would have happily room changed you.

I regretted to learn of the Amerispa massage treatment. Our Spa services supplier has been informed and we will address noise, talking and aggressive product upselling, I agree with your comments. We will request improvements.

The experience in Restaurant La Coupole seemed more isolated to service - obviously too slow. We have recently promoted the restaurant more visibly in-house and we failed to forecast the breakfast volumes accurately. I apologize for this and again I agree with your comments. We have now added more coverage on weekends.

Happy to hear the pool and limo were aok...

I would prefer more clarity on the website comments... our statements are factual, our policies are precisely clear and our images are precise photos of the suites by category and no false promises are made.

Overall I appreciate your comments well however I will underscore your stay with the relevant points that your check-in was achieved before 11:00 am, 4 hours before the promised check-in time, your deluxe suite was unfortunetely the last one and the view is indeed not optimal in that particular suite yet no suite change was requested. Your spa and restaurant experiences were not representative of our standards.

In lieu of your comments and of our standards we have credited a portion of your stay you will note on your payment method used at check-in. Thank you again for your comments which will enable us to continuously improve... a little kaizen!

Geoff Allan

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am currently at the hotel on night one of a three night stay. Pulled up to valet parking and walked in to someone playing the piano in the corner. I am with my daughter and her exchange student from France and they loved every minute of it. You could see that they were going to enjoy this place.

Looking at reviews for this hotel before booking I took the advice to call ahead and request a high level room with a good view. Also noticing that the GM was very interactive with the reviews on this site I decided to email him as well to explain that this is very important to us due to having a girl from France with us and that I would desire a nice view for our stay and asked a couple other questions. Unfortunetly he was unable to get back to me and although we are on the 8th floor the view is not good at all. We payed the extra to get a Deluxe room since the web site stated "Spectacular views of downtown Montreal". All we can see is the YWCA bulding, the alley way behind it and another building blocking our view. There is a church peak that rises above the YWCA.
One other thing that was disappointing is that there is not a bath tub for the girls. Past reviews mentioned beautiful bath salts available and I figured that getting the deluxe room that cost an extra hundred a night that it would have a bath tub but when I went back to the web site it did say "when available" so if that is important to you I would recommend requesting a tub in advance of your stay. In the pictures the tubs look so nice I knew the girls would love it!

In all fairness I did not give the hotel the chance to make my stay better by calling down and making my request to change rooms. Just don't like being the guy that expects better then others are getting plus we have a lot of stuff that I don't really want to move.

Would I stay here again, absolutely..... it is a beautiful hotel with a great lobby, cafe, restaurant and bar. The pool is beautful with an awesome hottub on the roof. But when I do I will request the tub and a better view again in hopes that I could enjoy a view of downtown Montreal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at Le Crystal for 4 days and 3 nights after spending quite a bit of time comparing options in other parts of the city. We made the right choice.

The suites were well appointed with larger than expected bathrooms and more "living space" than expected. The suites on the back/side of the hotel have balconies while the ones near the front have a better view, we chose the balcony since it was the beginning of Fall and pleasant to have a breeze. Having 6 of us the option to have the 2 room suite was quite nice as we were able to all stay together.

The 12th floor is a great touch with sauna, heated pool, and outdoor jacuzzi and sundeck. There is enough gym equipment to get a solid workout in as well.

Additionally, being on a trip with friends, the proximity to Rue Crescent was a definite plus. If you arrive back a bit late there is a late night pizza joint around the corner just in from Boulevard Rene.

We did not have much interaction with the staff as we were out for the majority of our stay but they seemed pleasant when we did speak and were quick to call for a taxi when requested.

The stay is a bit pricier than other local options, but worth the extra cost.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends