“Great Hotel but left with a bitter taste!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Le Crystal

Hotel Le Crystal
Ranked #14 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel but left with a bitter taste!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked Le Crystral Hotel as recommended by a friend, good rate (thank you Booking.com) room very well equipped and comfortable, great location. Stayed 4 nights. Paid over a 1000 CAD $ but worth it - until we left. We had the room till 2pm, packed and left our baggage with the valet (Carl) he asked us then if we wanted to book our transport back to the Airport - we didn't as not too sure when we would be back. When we arrived back and collected our bags Carl was on duty and asked us if we wanted "a limo for the same price as a taxi" (we knew there is a fixed rate for taxis from downtown to the Airport $40) Yes I said how much? $70 CAD says Carl - when I told Carl the price of a taxi is 40CAD and 70CAD isn't the same! Carl became flustered and asked the Limo driver (who just happened to be standing at the valet desk!) if he would match it! - the driver said yes - needless to say we walked outside hailed a cab askled how much - flat rate of 40CAD and left the Hotel - You can tell from my review that what would of been a very enjoyable stay has left me very angry and let down - why try to rip me off by telling me the limo is the same price as a taxi! It isn't!!! - It leaves a very bitter taste. Obviously some "deal" is struck between the valet staff and the limo drivers but it does nothing for the reputation of a 5 star Hotel - shame on you. There are plenty of Hotels in Montreal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David_P_M1
CrystalGM, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hello David_P_M1,

Thank you for your comments stemming from your recent stay. I appreciated your generally satisfactory comments but I did not appreciate your absence of fact in the dialogue of taxi and limousine rates, given we replied to you already in a private message. You have chosen to misinterpret a courtesy you were offered. To be clear, Hotel Le Crystal has it's own limo service for complimentary and paid services at our discretion. We offer a competitive price guideline based on established rate scales posted next to belldesk. In your particular case we offered you a $40.00 limousine transfer regularly priced at $70.00. We like to offer our preferred guests both complimentary and discount transfer fees as our employees deem appropriate. The driver was standing was next to you when we quoted this courtesy price and he accepted the $40.00 taxi rate for the limousine transfer because he was not busy. Our cameras show this. A colleague of the bellmen in question then entered the dialogue and not being aware of the accepted rate, attempted to correct the bellmen with whom you originally spoke. Your witness to this brief exchange is the basis of your attempt to misrepresent fact. You were offered a courtesy rate of $40.00 for a $70.00 rack rate transfer to the airport. You brought your complaint to our attention at departure. We immediately replied to you.

We appreciated your business and the underlying satisfaction with the property. Your claim however of being purposely mislead by transportation charges is erroneous, misleading and confuses our attempt at service excellence with your conviction to generate bad press given we had already addressed your complaint privately.

Geoff Allan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I chose this hotel because it had a pool. I love to swim on business trips (it is my favourite way to work out). The pool is barely four feet deep from one end to the other. Near impossible to swim.

Also, there is no place but the toilet stand to change in. The locker room opens to the main corridor and there is no cabinet or curtain.

Otherwise the hotel is fine. Good service. Good restaurant. I had lunch there it was a great value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank iknowwhatsup
CrystalGM, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear iknowwhatsup,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay, in particular the depth of the pool and the changing room detail. I appreciated your favorable comments on the food & beverage experience.

On the depth of the lap pool, we are advised by both verifiable industry sources online and our engineers that a lap pool is defined as being between three and a half to four and a half feet deep. Our pool is 4 feet deep. As a lap pool we are therefore well within the industry standard for both laps and aquasize. Given our need to please a variety of guest profiles including novice swimmers and families with small children we require a safe depth manageable for the majority of users. We appreciate your comments and we are content with our depth based on the excellent feedback from others guests not to mention its 12th floor huge windows, terrasse views, outdoor hot tub and fitness centre.

For changing rooms, there are five on the 12th floor, you may not have seen them all. Two are open access general changing rooms and they do have an inner wall as an obstacle to obstruct views however if someone holds the door wide for an extended period I could understand your sentiments. To answer to this we have two more bathrooms the spa which are fully closed and out of public view and our fifth washroom is a single person, 80 square foot lockable changing room and washroom at the south end of the corridor. This one is easy to miss.

Thank you for your comments and for a future stay if you require a full depth pool we would be happy to coordinate time at the Westmount YMCA pool which is huge and high quality. Our driver can take you there complimentary in our house limousine.

Thank you...

Geoff Allan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We didnt stay at the hotel. We went there for dinner. It was fabulous food, and fabulous value. We had the 7 course meal. The portions were much more generous than any other restaurant where we have done this. Nice decor and very helpful and friendly staff. The menus that light up are fun! Would go back regularly if I lived in town.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

First of all, very well located, Rue de la Montagne just one corner of St. Catherine and one corner of Rue Crescent. This is like a Condo Hotel, the units are very well furnished with very well equipped Kitchenettes, so it is an advantage when you travel with your kids. There is an amazing Terrace with a whirlpool that we had the chance to enjoy after long walks in Old Montreal during the day. I highly recommend it!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LudwigMartin
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed in a superior room for four nights on a first visit to Montreal. As we arrived on the train it was a 10 minute walk from central station. The location is a good one, being close to everything Montreal has to offer. Good restaurants nearby of all standards and to suit all tastes and budgets.

The hotel itself is of great quality. It's feels like a new hotel. The rooms are a good size with huge bathrooms, a separate living area and a nice size bedroom area. Plenty of space for your clothes etc.

One of the best things about the hotel was the swimming pool, which my wife and I used everyday. There is a life guard on duty at all times. There is a hot tub outside, but we did not use this. The staff we encountered were courteous at all times and greeted us pretty much every time we left or entered the hotel. The room we were assigned did not have a bath tub, but we're more than happy to change our room when my wife asked for a one with a tub. This was after two days of staying at the hotel! They even sent a guy up to help us with our luggage.

The only down side to our stay was when we checked out the receptionist said we had used a bottle of water from the mini bar, which we hadn't. She didn't make too much of a fuss and wrote it off, but it did make us a feel a little awkward and as though we were trying to get out of paying for it. We really didn't take the water. The other thing was the air conditioning unit was really noisy at times. Enough to keep me awake one night. The second room it was less noticeable.

All in all a great place to stay. Would come back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We very fortunately went with 20 friends & family members to splendid Montreal for my birthday celebration & spent 3 amazing nights at Le Crystal Hotel & Spa
The Crystal hotel is perfectly located, downtown, on Mountain St. in the heart of the entertainment neighbourhood, surround by top notch restaurants, beautiful cafes, cosy cigar lounges & fun night clubs. Plus it's just steps away from interesting museums, city & bicycle tour stops & great shopping.
I absolutly must recommend for delicious dry aged steaks, fine wines & premium cigar lovers, the 1221 Steakhouse, literally 2 mins. from the lobby of the hotel.
On the last evening we attended the out of this world Coldplay concert & only had to cross the street to the Bell Center venue, where in the wintertime the, "Les Canadien", hockey teams plays.
The service was friendly, efficient, multilingual & truly 5 stars.
Words of high praise for the concierge.
All rooms are suites & we splurged on an amazing Deluxe suite with a spectacular view of Downtown Montreal. Smart & elegantly furnished with the perks we love, like the Nespresso machine, cutting edge entertainment center & a complete wetbar area. Bathrooms were very large with perfect his & hers areas.
It had all the amenities a first class boutique hotel & Spa should have. A fully equipped gym, swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, etc...on the 12th floor with 360 degree views of Mount Royal, the St. Lawrence seaway & all of Montreal. My wife enjoyed the Spa tremendously.
Free WiFi is always welcomed.
A very nice bar & fine French dining at "La Coupole" restaurant. They really highlight the dishes of the Quebec province terroir; & speaking of terroir, thier wine selection is second to none in town.
Well I can truly say that when in Montreal , le Crystal, is definitely the best headquarters for your stay; be it for business &\ or pleasure.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for suites on the top floors with views on Mount Royal.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GAdH02
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Here's what I liked about Hotel Le Crystal:

Le Crystal is very ideally located on rue de la montagne. It is where you would want to be in Montreal.

They offer only suites and we were very happy with ours. It was very spacious, especially considering the location. The bathroom was really big, with 2 sinks, a shower, bath tub with space to spare.

They offer you a lot of nice extras that you don't see in other hotels such as a loofah, bath salts and a weight scale in the bathroom. I always give kudos to a hotel when they have these things available. The internet is also free.

They also have a pretty good indoor swimming pool, a outdoor hot tub and 2 small sauna rooms. It was definitely a big bonus because a lot of city hotels don't even have swimming pools.

Here's what I did not like about Le Crystal:

My biggest problem with this hotel is really the service and the attitude of some of the staff members.

I asked for a dental kit when I got to my room, only to be told that it was available for purchase from my mini bar, and it was $4.95. The woman also specifically told me that they don't have dental kits at the hotel and the one from the mini bar was the only option being offered. When I later wrote about this on Hotel Le Crystal's official facebook page, the person who replied told me that alternatives would have been offered in this situation. When I replied that I most certainly was not offered one, they just said thank you for your comments and ignored me. I don't know if they lied about having alternatives on their own facebook page or the person I spoke to on the phone simply just wasn't aware of it, it is just not good customer service either way.

On the day of departure, we wanted to order off of the breakfast menu at 11am, we were told that breakfast menu was no longer being served and that we would have to order from the lunch menu, which btw was incredibly small. So I asked if I could have muesli cereal, I was aware that it was still from the breakfast menu, but it is just cereal. They obviously already have it in their pantry and all they needed to do was add water to it, still, it was a no and I was not able to even order a bowl of cereal because it was already 11am.

Overall this hotel was great for the value but I will not be returning. Personally I like to feel a little more welcome at my home away from home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank justinehsu
CrystalGM, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear justinehsu,

We would like to thank you for your detailed feedback on you recent stay with us and we appreciate your positive comments on our suites and all hotel amenities we offer. As you mentioned on your comment, we do offer a lot of in-room complimentary amenities other hotels of our level won’t offer. Exemple: Nespresso coffee and tea, loofah, bath salts and mouth wash in the bathrooms and complimentary internet for the entire hotel – our competitors will charge at least 20$/day for one device. Not to mention our complimentary and recently refurbished business center on the 3rd floor - we do offer complimentary coffee and tea when and you can also enjoy one of our touch screen computers. Or, if you feel like relaxing, our pool, jaccuzzi, saunas and gym on the 12th floor is the perfect place to go.

As you mentioned, our dental kit which is provided by the world renowned Molton Brown London cost 4.95$. We could have purchased a tooth brush and a tooth paste at a convenience store nearby for the same price. We apologize our team did not offer you this alternative and will use this example in order to improve the quality of our service.

Your room service comments are very constructive. Hotel Le Crystal has recently taken over the restaurant management from an operator and will be bringing very positive changes such as a new Menu, a wine bar and a better experience!

We hope you will change your mind and will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. You will definitely feel home away from home.

Kind Regards,