“Great Value, however, beds are really hard,”

Holiday Inn Laval Montreal
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Laval
Ashburn, Virginia
“Great Value, however, beds are really hard,”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We spent the labor day weekend at this hotel while visiting friends in Montreal. The hotel is great but the beds are the hardest beds I've ever slept on. What;s the use of having a hotel with all the amenities if you cannot get a good night sleep.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Fairly new, nice hotel. No wi-fi in rooms, huh? Managed to royally mess up my billing, including assigning someone elses name to my PC card. That is a no-no. Otherwise it's just fine. 7/10

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
hilaval, Manager at Holiday Inn Laval Montreal, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Thank you for your comments and we are happy that you enjoyed our new & renovated hotel.

We currently do not offer wi-fi in our rooms, mostly are wired Internet access. In order to stay on top of the Internet technology, we are about to change the Internet service for all rooms for a faster wi-fi Internet connection.

Concerning the mistake with your reservation and PC card, we want to reassure you that this is not a common practice and we apologize for the inconveniences.
Peterborough, Ontario
Reviewed August 25, 2011

After suffering thru four hours of traffic thru Montreal I am met by the front desk staff telling me the only room available is a smoking two queens standard after booking and paying for an upgraded king deluxe NON smoking. I have an allergy for smoke and noted that on my reservation. She said because I booked on the Internet they could not honor my request.
What the heck does that mean -I used the holiday inn site!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talked to manager made no difference - gave me vouchers for free breakfast - which turns out to be in a converted boardroom and has a limit of 10.95. Room stank of smoke even after the special ion machine and spray of deodorizer. I ended up using half my hubbies Obession on the floor and sheets to try and mask odor. Internet is a joke -I even went to lobby and it didn't work. One elevator broke while we were there and one gentleman who's company has booked him into hotel since feb. said we were lucky it wasn't both of them! Saving grace was sports bar that was attached - after three drafts everything looked better.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cybersis007
hilaval, Manager at Holiday Inn Laval Montreal, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.

The initial reservation was made for a standard king room, non smoking which should have been honoured even with your special discount rate.

In your particular situation, we had to change your room type due to the fact that a client extended his stay. We really tried our best to remove the smell and inconvenience of the smoking room, and we apologize if it was still uncomfortable.

Internet access is available in your rooms and in all public areas, free of charge. We rarely encounter connectivity problems, most of the time it is the customer firewall protection which causes the connectivity problems.

We appreciate that you enjoyed our Cage aux Sports restaurant/bar, which is always liked by our guests.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay, if there is anything else we can do, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.
Stoney Creek, Ontario
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This hotel seems to be renovated or new we are not sure. It is in a great location and very clean, average and nothing special. We were disappointed with the customer service. When we arrived, no one at the front desk to greet guests. We waited for approximately ten minutes, we called out loud and no one answered, no bell. Another couple were using the customer service phone for reservation. Finally, a hotel worker passed by the front desk, didn't say "Hello", he walked in the office then couple minutes later a lady came out, no smiling, or "Hello, Welcome", we initiated the conversation and checked In. She didn't introduce the hotel to us at all. When we checked out the next day we experienced the same situation. For two days, the elevator broke down and a young man got locked inside the elevator. If anyone is looking for a comfortable place to stay, this is the hotel. However, if you want customer service and accommodation, etc. this is not a good place because they do not have a lot to offer. No Breakfast included in the price is also a disadvantage. A lot other hotel have this feature.

Room Tip: If anyone has medical problems or other issues, you must call the hotel directly to make a request a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ScottKim97
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for a week of business meetings. Generally it was OK, one of the elevators was broken a third of the time I was there. The real letdown was the poor service in the resturant that was open for breakfast. After 3 or so days, they finally seemed to figure out that we were going to be here for a while and we, as a group of nearly 50 were not please with slow service, which, at times, bordered on total indifference to the customer.

On the wi-fi side, it classic under equipped. Once people get settled into their rooms for the night, speed drops like a stone.

I an giving this place 2 1/2 stars, but Trip Advisor only does stars in whole units.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tech-trekker
NYC
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Hotel is located in a nice area in Laval, 5 minutes drive to the closes metro station. Staff in hotel was not so helpful or attentive when asking for directions or hotel amenities.
Room was spacious, comfortable beds and quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank spoke77
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I booked this hotel on reduced Priority Club points, and I guess since it was free and the hotel itself is okay, I can't really complain. By "okay", I mean I slept well, the room was clean, and the hotel was a quick 20-min drive to Downtown Montreal.

What I didn't like about this hotel are the following:
- The front desk staff are not a good resource for information. How much is Metro fare to Downtown? The man didn't know. How much is parking at the Metro station? The man didn't know. How do I get to the Metro station? He gave me some vague description, and I had to ask him for a map. He had it all along, but didn't bother to give it to me until I asked for it.

- There's no WiFi here. I thought that maybe their connection was weak, but when I called the front desk and ask about what's going on about the WiFi, I was told there is no wireless connection. You can connect to the internet by plugging in your laptop to the CABLE connection at the desk in the room. (What year is this? 1999?!)

- The TV remote(s) didn't work. The buttons merely changed the channels, and by that, I mean the channels just kept going up, no matter what button you pressed. The power button, the volume, the guide--none of them functioned as they were supposed to. The maintenance guy came up and tried FIVE different remotes, and all of them did the same thing.

If I go back to Montreal, I probably wouldn't book this hotel again, unless I get it for free again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family