“Clean, cozy and comfortable, although some under-trained staff...”

Le Montagnais Saguenay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Chicoutimi
Canada
“Clean, cozy and comfortable, although some under-trained staff...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

First impressions walking through the doors of this hotel:

Clean, more beautiful on the inside than the outside and the hotel seemed much larger than it seemed from the outside as well. Staff were polite.

First impression of the room:

Very clean and cozy. A lot of the lights in the room were set to be very dim, although, it wasn't annoying, but gave a more relaxing feel to the room.

The hotel offered several amenities: Bar and Restaurant, Gym overlooking the pool, Pool, Hot Tub, Sauna, Spa. I was VERY surprised to see that the basement floor of the Hotel had a modern-style nightclub, with a DJ that comes in on the weekends. Pretty impressive!

My only complaints were: When I decided to go to bed around 1130pm, I couldn't, because there were several young kids running around the hallway and screaming. I phoned reception and complained about the noise, it quieted down for about 10 minutes, then started again. I called a second time, they came back up to talk to the people, but then again, 10 minutes later the noise continued. I decided to give up and just try to filter out the sound with a pillow.

In the morning, my group was trying to check-out, but the young Gentleman working at reception did not seem too experienced at was he was doing; a two-minute job turned into a 15 minute job.

Overall, I had an alright experience at the hotel, but some things need to be fixed before I return for another night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jordan I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Due to my wife's serious illness and subsequent hospitalization in a nearby hospital, we had to disembark from a cruise ship and I spent six nights on a day-to-day basis in the hotel. I was very comfortable and the hotel staff was very accommodating in my situation, making me feel valued as a customer. I stayed in Tower C and while the furnishings were beginning to show their age, the room's outside access enabled me to choose to park at the door, while still staying at a four-star property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The renovated rooms in building D are very nice. Flat screen TV, lots of channels and decent internet. There is an indoor water park at this hotel which is really great if you bring children along and there is a lifeguard on duty which is really rare in most hotels. The front desk staff are ok, they could be nicer but I may have just been unlucky and hit the only person who was having a bad day..... As for their online booking system, it isn't great. This was my second time booking via the website and again, the reservation did not show up. Luckily, I had my confirmation number. The hotel is really well situated near restaurants, shopping malls and grocery stores. The only real issue with my stay was the really noisy AC system in the room.

Room Tip: I have been in building D a few times, the rooms with double beds on the lower floors aren't as...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Doophenshmitrz
St Zotique
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We are a group of approximately 40 friends who spend the winter together in Florida. We get together once a year in the summer for a nice meal and to reminisce. This year we met in Chicoutimi at le Montagnais. Our first impression was of a nice place but once we got our rooms, we were all very disappointed. The furniture was ok, but most of the rooms had a bad smell in the carpet but the worst was yet to come. The meal they served us was terrible (tourtiere du Lac St Jean - meatpie) had been overcooked and burnt. Two days later after returning home, I broke out with bed bug bites all over my body. This is not a hotel that i would recommend to anyone.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Claude M

Travelers are raving about these Chicoutimi hotels

Contrecoeur, Quebec, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Well very bad experience for the price,bathroom full of long hair on are first look around,A/C beside making some noise never got the room to desired temps,pillows are way past they life expectancy and the cap that drains water from the bath was broken had to hold it with my tow so water would escape will taking my shower.
To expensive for what it is rooms are big but very old.it will be my last time.

Room Tip: Bigger rooms have nice king beds but ask for more pilows
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Eric B
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Clean, bed comfortable, but no air circulation in section C. (old section)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Al C
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

My room was small but fairly clean. The carpet and the furnitures were in good condition. Both beds were very very hard but I could smell the freshness (newly washed) of the bed sheets and covers. The heat and a/c was working well but had a very loud noise that camouflaged the noises coming from the hallway. The washroom needs to be renovated ASAP. Some of the grout near the tub were black and the ceiling had a funky seventies style to it. The toilet sit needs to be change - it was scary looking. I had plenty of towels that lasted me for three nights.

The location was great - near the groceries, convenient store, SAQ (liquor store), etc. There is a night club 'Eclipse' in the basement - what a bonus! The kids enjoyed their time in the pool.

In general the hotel needs renovation all around.

The hotel restaurant makes excellent SPAGHETTI SAUCE and the price is right. They don't serve everything on their menu - funny!!! Some of the waitress lacks finesse when comes to serving the customers, at times I felt like being served in a raunchy bar. They have to be picky with the words they use to the customers.

This is a very average hotel and paid approx. $398 canadian for 3 nights.

Room Tip: I saw 4 rooms and all were small size.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank douglas41
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicoutimi
Hotel La Sagueneenne
#2 of 9 in Chicoutimi
Hotel du Parc
Hotel du Parc
#8 of 9 in Chicoutimi

Been to Le Montagnais Saguenay? Share your experiences!