Hotel Chicoutimi
$113
$109
Travelocity
$118
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I stay in hotels a lot (every other week). This hotel is supposed to be 4 stars...perhaps star ratings are backwards in Quebec because this was the grossest 4 star hotel I've ever stayed in. I walked into the lobby and I thought I was in a community centre.

I looked around for the check-in desk and approached the only thing that remotely resembled a check-in desk. I actually asked for confirmation. The guy at the front desk wasn't friendly at all. And they charge a $250 deposit for the room (in case I damage my $130/night room). The building is creepy from the outside, and lobby was eerie and then I made my way over to the elevator in this seemingly deserted hotel, which made it feel even creepier. I got out of the elevelwtor and walked down a really dark hall to my room. I could barely see the number on the door.

The duvets in the room look like something out of a 1960s basement. The ceiling panels in the room look like something in an office building. The baseboard heating looks sketchy and there are exposed pipes everywhere.

Just yuck. This hotel was way below expectations and I certainly won't be rushing back to it. Their star rating really needs to be more like a 1 star. Maybe 2 on a very good day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank VeronicaFox
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was concerned about some of the poor reviews and after a recent stay at Hotel Chicoutimi – I do not understand them.

I stayed there recently with family and found it to be exactly as advertized, a nice hotel in an excellent location, and would stay there again without hesitation.

It is well located by the waterfront and on an interesting street with a wide selection of restaurants and shops.

We ate both dinner and the included breakfast at the hotel restaurants and quite enjoyed both. (I seldom eat dinner at hotel restaurants but they had outdoor bistro type seating and the ribs looked so good I could not resist – they were excellent!)

The hotel had ample (free) parking and the front desk clerks I dealt with were conversant in English (very helpful as my French is well meaning but pretty poor).

The room was fine, not brand spanking new, but clean and comfortable and the Wi-Fi (free) was plenty zippy for e-mail and web searches.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank EWZ
Reviewed October 25, 2012

meilleur valeur qualité prix que les autres options a Chicoutimi
well situated with a great view
superior quality compared to other Hotels in the area at comparable price
I guess newly renovated bed and furniture lookednew
wooden floors , very clean and fresh smell in room
will go back for sure

Room Tip: ask foir a view on the Fjord side...awesome magnifique du coté du Fjord
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CHANTAL2801
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I needed a room for 2 couples in Chicoutimi and the hotel I wanted to book was full (the newly renovated Delta)

We ended up at Hotel Chicoutimi, I wasn't able to book online so I had to phone them, they offered a room that doesn't exist on their website, a "Sensoria Suite". I was told it would be a large room with 2 King size beds and it would be $200/night with full breakfast for 4 people.

Deal!

Upon arrival (around 5 PM!), we found the cleaning staff still in the room.. why they let us check-in for a room that wasn't yet ready is beyond explanation, they apologized for the delay and a few minutes later we were in our room. We later found out they forgot to set up the room for 4 people and had to order supplementary towels, which were delivered to our room in a timely manner.

The size of the room didn't disappoint. It was indeed huge although the space is very poorly used. The beds are very close together, there's a lot of wasted space at both ends of the room and the bathroom is pretty small. Overall the room looks okay, although you can see the remodelling has been done the cheap way.. don't look at the details!

This was the first Hotel I've been to which had a suspended ceiling.. let alone a "4 stars hotel".. The laminate wood flooring was very noisy too. Other than that the amenities were OK, but definitely not 4 stars good. We also noticed that the shower head is way too low, we had to bend under it (the girls were fine though!)

At the time of check out, they tried to charge $230 for the room, but they didn't argue that I was first quoted $200 for it and charged me that price instead, very good way to handle an error!

Let's remember that for the price, and with a full menu breakfast, those little details can be easily forgotten!

Room Tip: If you need 2 beds, opt for the Sensoria Suite, it's cheaper than the spacious rooms and more luxurious!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Renesis
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you want to be downtown Chicoutimi, it' a great location. The breakfasts are includes and they are very good. Good choice of restaurants around.
The rooms, they are old, the beds are old too. The rooms were renovated but 20 yeard ago. Yesterday they did not clean the room, they were short of staff. The flooring are in woods it's nice but it's craking and you hear people walking on the upper floor. The shower head broke, they gave us a new room. There is one elevator and it's slow and far. Not accessible to disable people.

Room Tip: If you really want to come to this hotel, ask for a room with a view on the Fjord.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple