“Good stay”

Slemon Park Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Summerside
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Overall a great stay. These are former barracks so the hotel front desk is a walk from the parking lot and has no elevator which is annoying with baggage. However, the staff were friendly, they accept dogs with no charge and the bed was SUPER comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank jelvidge
There are newer reviews for Slemon Park Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was kind of like a "bait and switch". The website looked great, but the room I ended up with was... well.. they put a spiffy bedspread on the bed, but this did not hide the fact that the original intent of the building was that of a military barracks. The plumbing moaned and knocked. I have to say that the staff were very friendly and courteous, but next time, for only a few dollars more, I'll stay directly in the town of Summerside.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank BobFromNB
Reviewed August 23, 2012

OK, so its renovated barracks setup (former Canadian AIr Force Base), and fairly modern. You can only do so much with the buildings as is, so don't expect a Residence Inn (as example) experience. Be that as it may, its super convenient if you have business at the Airport Park, or want to stay outside of the city center of Summerside. The downtown is but a 5-7 minute drive, and the staff friendly and efficient, but could be more enthusiastic at times. It's like they know they have a captive market in that location. There are no more "housekeeping" or kitchenette units, and all are rooms with a small fridge and coffee maker. The restaurant bar is OK, but sometimes closes too early. The biggest negative is that I feel it's over-priced for what they now offer when compared to the properties just a few minutes away. I gave a I'd give them a 5-star for value (in my opinion) "if" they cut their price by 20 to 25% and that would make it fairly priced for what it is. I've been staying there for a function every year for almost twelve years, and the increases have matched the better chains downtown, but they haven't (can't in some instances because of building design) increased their overall amenities to keep up. They could offer a superb lower room rate "value conscience" plan as a marketing point. For fitness, you can walk a lot around the expansive grounds. I'm giving a Poor in value (overall), but it would be rated Average or above if you're a business traveler working at/for the Aerospace Park or Sports Complex.

Room Tip: Street side rooms (either front or by the parking lot) maybe less desirable.. First floor rooms have...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2012

When in our room we were created by an earwig in the bathroom, after killing it a few hours later came back and jumped into bed. When in bed i removed a pillow looking for my phone and found an earwig crawling in the bed. I soon tore off all of the Sheets and moved the bed away from the wall and found more earwigs. When calling the front desk the woman did not know what to do and left this experience for us to embrace. within min we checked out and moved to another location.

Room Tip: Check for insects
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 189Kim
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel with a group of people (we took up about 15 rooms in all). We had called the hotel to try and obtain certain accomodations for our group, but never got a call back until the day we were checking in, and they said they could do nothing to help us out. (Throughout our stay, everytime we were looking for something/ certain services, the staff would (very slowly) shovel us around from one employee to another, which got very annoying after a while). However, we walked around and found the Canada Games Center, where the very nice young lady working there agreed to go out of her way to accomodate us!!! ( It's funny that the this lady was willing to go out of her way, eventhough we didn't have to pay her any money, while the hotel where we spent a lot of money was unable to provide us with anything!)

We were woken up (along with every other rooms that were with us) around 9am on a Saturday morning by house cleaning, wanting to know if we wanted our room cleaned!?! (I've stayed in many hotels, and have NEVER had this happen before).

The rooms are old (you could see rust in the shower, floors cracked loudly everytime you moved ) and very dusty. The beds were actually very comfortable. I tried to call the front desk 2 times on the first night, but they never answered. They also never answered the other 3 times I tried calling them during the rest of our stay.

This hotel, as mentionned in other reviews, is located on an old military compound. The rooms are located in a seperate building than where the front desk/restaurant/pub are located, so you have to get dressed (with a coat and boots if you go in the middle of winter, as we did) in order to get any of these services. The continental breakfast was good (you get the basics, bread and cereal type of food).

* The one positive thing I must mention is that the way the rooms are set up is good for groups, as the only rooms taken up on our floor were all from our group, so it was easy to locate people and we didn't bother anyone with our noise!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Christine B
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel and conference center last night. It has very reasonable rates, food prices are excellent for the amount and quality of what you receive. From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable-especially the beds. The food was excellently prepared and delivered very timely. The staff made sure we had what we needed but didn't hover or distract you. The facility is a former military base so expect that look. The rooms are older but are comfortable, laid out well and the overall atmosphere is a really good one...this hotels biggest asset is its people because all of the staff we encountered had ready smiles, showed kindness and a fun attitude that was evident everywhere while being very professional and efficient. We will definitely be back to stay again.

Room Tip: end units are very close to the doors for those that have mobility issues it would cut down on the w...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina R
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Checked in around 8pm, Friday August 19, 2011, the young girl (Erin, I think) at the desk was great. She set me up with a room and good pizza, what else do you need after an 18 hour drive from Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, she was the last employee that seemed to care about the hotels guests. Over the next three days the hotel staff was unable to assist with any requests, i.e. direction, local information etc. It seemed that they were annoyed when I interrupted their conversations.

The Slemon is a little hard to find (or maybe it was the 18 hour road trip), it’s located in what was once a military compound. The area still has that feel. The hotel and room was clean and well kept. The bathroom was spotless and well stocked with higher end soaps and shampoo. The continual breakfast is just that; don’t expect more the coffee, juice, pastry and cereal.

For 92 dollars Canadian, it was OK. Being lazy I did not take advantage of the gym and other local sporting activities.

I know that I will return to Summerside, The Slemon would not be my first choice but I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerside
Traveller's Inn
Traveller's Inn
#7 of 14 in Summerside
Canadas Best Value Inn and Suites
Quality Inn & Suites Garden of the Gulf
Loyalist Lakeview Resort Summerside
Shining Waters - Ingleside Resort
Kindred Spirits Country Inn & Cottages

Been to Slemon Park Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!