“Ok. But I won't return.”
Review of Mulberry Motel

Mulberry Motel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Summerside
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I won’t stay here again. It was fairly clean though, and if you just need somewhere to crash at night it’s probably fine. We got the smallest room as we only needed one bed for two nights. It was very simple, but good enough for our needs. We were spending the day times driving up the coast and not hanging around the motel. The tub/shower looked pretty new. The bed was very firm, not overly comfortable but Ok. We could hear the TV in the room next to us until after 3:00am which was kind of annoying, making for restless sleep.

I was however; left with a bad impression making me not want to give them my business again. Upon checking out I told the lady at the counter that I had seen a promotion on the website for 15% off if you stay 2 consecutive nights, but that I had totally forgotten to mention it when we checked in. She knew nothing about the promotion and told me I’d have to contact the owner. I emailed as soon as I got home to inquire about it, and 2 days later got a response saying that I should have asked for it when I checked in and they don’t do that after the fact. Most places want to promote their deals, and would have told me about it when I checked in. Most places say to you “have you seen our promotions?” or “have you heard about our special right now?” But nothing was mentioned to us when we said we were staying two nights. I feel like they don’t really want to give people the promotions advertised. If they won’t honor them when asked about it, and the staff don’t even know about the promos, what's the point? All I was told was that if I bring the email next time I come they’d give me the discount on my next visit. Oh? Why would I do that? I’m home now. I won’t be back there for at least another year. And I surely won’t be returning here to give them more of my money now. Don’t have a promotion at all if you don’t want people asking about it.
This was our 3rd trip to Summerside, we’ve stayed in a different place each time. We do several mini vacations every year all over the Maritimes and love telling our friends and family about the different cottages and motels we find and explore on our road trips. This will not be a place that we recommend to anyone.
For what it was, I would say the room was slightly over priced. There are other places in the area that are equal to and/or much better that I would stay at again instead. I think customer service is very important and I would always pay more to return somewhere that I felt really appreciated my business and had great service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LMCHJP

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed for 4 days & 3 nights at the Knights Inn in Summerside and have to say my family and I were very pleased with our stay.
The staff were very helpful with recommendations, directions & all the extras we wanted for our room.
At the end of our stay, one of the cleaning staff offered to drive us to the bus stop which we thought was very thoughtful.
If you want a central location, clean room with free breakfast along with friendly and polite staff my wife & I highly recommend this motel.
Despite some of the negative reviews by others, just take my word for it...you truly get your moneys worth...and we had NO COMPLAINTS!

Room Tip: Rooms equipped with AC, friendly & courteous staff plus a central location at a very competitive...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Four of us girls stayed here for the weekend while we attended the Cavendish Beach music Festival. Upon arrivial we were grated by Evone? or Evette? I foget her name, but she was really friendly and helpful.
The room is basic but we didnt mind because all we needed it for was to sleep and shower, it was a very hot weekend so we were super glad there was an air conditionder in the room.
Donnie, the owner was amazing. He was super nice and told us lots of stories. The festival we were going to was a 35minute drive away and he offered to drive us over for 30 dollars(which was cheaper than a cab) He picked us up as well, I thought that was realy nice and definetly unexpected.
On Saturday night Donnie was unable to pick us up as he was going to a wedding, so he arrainged for his son Ryan to pick us up. I loved the hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Stephanie s
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and repeatedly had to ask for extra bath towels after paying for 4 adults in the room. Upon asking the second time, we were told they had none and were given bath mats to dry off with. Upon returning the third night, we found our room had not been cleaned. The garbage was still full, the beds were not made, and there were still not enough bath towels. Of course, the office was closed for the evening and there was no one to help. I would not recommend that anyone stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank PWadds
Don R, Owner at Mulberry Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

We pride ourselves with our cleanliness and service and sincerely apologize for the lack of both.
Hopefully we can compensate for our downfall and offer a comp room with your return to Summerside.

Sincerely

Don

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was not our first choice for places to stay in Summerside nor our 2nd choice for that matter. The other places that I wanted to book were filled. After reading the reviews, I was leery of our stay but really had no other choice (since I wanted to be in a certain spot in town). I stayed at the Knights in this past week for 4 days. Upon arriving at the motel, I noticed that the grounds were well kept. There were flower baskets outside every room and it was nicely landscaped. The front desk clerks were very helpful with all of our needs and questions about the local area. The cleaning lady was very sweet and went out of her way to make sure that we had things that we needed. The owner was extremely nice and welcoming.
The rooms were not modern but were well kept and suitable for our needs. We would certainly stay there again and plan to do so.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AandSHiltz
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I read the reviews here when I went to Summerside for work, I had my concerns about the Motel as I made my reservations a few days prior.

here's a few things I have to say:

1. The staff had my reservation on file and it looks like they train new staff at different times of the year, weather they go to school in the summer and take winter off, or work during the winter months and work elsewhere in the summer it does not matter, The trainee had my reservation as did the motel worker and I was checked in very quickly.

2. Everyone complaining about the "Free Breakfast" sign being false advertising, well why don't you guys all go complain to Days inn, econo-lodge, and Comfort Inn and say they are guilty of the same thing, Under the advertising laws so long as they provide SOMETHING for breakfast when advertised be it a full buffet or in my examples a continental breakfast it is still offered and fully legal, Besides what did you expect from a motel that has Units with kitchens in it and is Literally a 2 min drive from the nearest convenience store, Tim Hortons, or shopping mall?

3. The condition of the rooms, Well okay this I can get behind, My room was looking pretty ragged, there was cracks in the walls and paint was peeling, it was not a nice sight, Plus the large window in the room was a bit too un-nerving for me, People could literally walk by my unit and see what I was doing on my laptop, Because I do Support for the Banks in the maritime region I have to protect any data that is displayed on my screen when going over paperwork. I had to pull down the blind all the way while working on my lap top, The extra blinds on the window were missing a few flaps but that was minor.

My biggest concern was that My door did not shut properly and I would have to slam it hard to close it, at the same time my doors key at times would not work and Had to fight with it a few times to gain entry to my own unit. Often times returning back to the unit and finding the door didn't close properly.

The WIFI was one of the better ones I used when i stayed here, it had its highs and lows but it was reliable, course me having the room NEXT to the wireless router helps. Plus it was password protected, so that keeps unwanted traffic off the network.

4. People complained about the heaters not working, my heater worked fine, Okay the floor registers do not work but that space heater by my bed worked like a charm I wonder how many people looked to see this unit by their beds and tried turning it on and up all the way to test it?

for the most part, this motel isn't perfect but its not the worst I've been to either, I have stayed in far worse places and this one has gotten an unfair rap all because many of the people who stayed here are overly picky and expect so much for so little, Its a 3 star motel, you pay a very low price for a unit, even their summer season rates are MUCH lower than others around them, what did you expect? A 5 star suite and full buffet breakfast like you would at a 5 star hotel like the Hilton? The barrington, or even the marriott? seriously your in PEI, Your going in a cheap motel you can't go into a 3 star motel and expect the same amminities and perks as a 5 star HOTEL.

My advice, If the owner is reading this, Fix up the doors and units to allow a bit more privacy and add a fresh coat of paint on the walls, the buildings look inviteing but the doors look sketchy, and the peeling paint on the walls make the unit look filthy, Just fix it up a bit and you can get more positive reviews.

Oh and the Continental breakfast, If you expanded the office just a bit and extended the table a bit more you could add a few more choices onto the line other than just Muffens, Cinnamin buns and such, add some fruit or cereal or something I know its a "Free breakfast" but at least make it a little more worth while.

Room Tip: The rooms are pretty quiet and surprisingly even though I was near the highway I barley heard the tr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Geoffrey M
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had I read this sites comments beforehand I could have saved the 17 families of my sons hockey team from the miserable experience we just endured at the hands of this "motel" and it's owners.

He has been difficult to deal with from the very beginning. In Oct '12, I had 17 rooms set aside for our team for a tournament in Feb '13. When parents called to book their rooms in Dec/Jan they were told the reservation had been cancelled. I booked the block so I assumed only I could cancel the block! So when I called the owner to find out who called to cancel the rooms, when they were cancelled and why, he couldn't give me an answer. I was then told that they wouldn't be able to give us the rooms we needed. In the end, he was able to get us rooms but some families would have to use one of the 6 cots they had. When families called back to try to book their rooms (and cot if necessary) they were told they don't actually have cots, so "if you need a cot, we suggest you bring an air mattress." ... Oh boy!

At this point its too late to move to another hotel as all the other hotels in the area are booked.

Fast forward to our arrival...the office staff (2 ladies) checking us in were very friendly, no issue with them at all. And sure, the place wasn't "modern", but we can handle that! Our largest concerns quickly became our safety and the state of our rooms. There were windows that did not lock and could easily be opened from outside, one room had been painted the day before so the fumes were nausiating, many other rooms had a foul order that could not be identified, several rooms had heaters that did not work...did I mention this is Canada, it's February, and it's WINTER! No apologies were given, we were just given a blanket. None of the rooms had clocks, a few no trash cans, a few no lamps and in one room the bathroom didnt have a light. Some of the beds seemed clean, many were not! The "free breakfast" advertised on the sign out front is in my opinion, a bold-faced lie. The "free breakfast" was orange juice, coffee, and a few stale pastries. There were 17 families of 2-4 people, so the dozen pastries, even if they had been edible, wouldn't have gone very far! I could continue, but I think you're getting my point!

We survived the one night but when we went to check out in the morning (because luckily we were able to find another place that could accommodate us) we were told by the owner "no refunds". We had to pay for our 2 nights when we checked in so they already had our money. The owner told us we had to give 48 hrs cancellation notice. As a team manager I have booked and stayed in hotels and motels with soccer teams and hockey teams for 5 years and I have never heard of a 48 hr cancellation policy! Since its a Wyndham hotel I decided to call them to find out their cancellation policy. I was told if you cancel by 4pm at some of their hotels, 6pm at others, their would be no cancellation fee or penalty. We were in the office cancelling our rooms at 7:30 am, so we should have been fine! But nope! The owner wanted 48 hrs notice so no refunds. We could move hotels if we liked, but we were NOT getting money back from him! Parents were demanding refunds, not for the night we endured but for the 2nd night we had prepaid for, but he was unwilling to co-operate. He was "at work" so would not "deal with us" until he was home at 7pm that evening. Umm...you are the motel owner, isn't THIS your work too?? Neither he nor his wife, would deal with us in person, so I was yelled at, cursed at and called a liar by these people via the phone. I feel for the poor office staff that have to deal with these people on a daily basis!

With a dozen irrate parents in the office refusing to leave without refunds in hand, he finally succumbed, stopped holding us hostage in his dump, and gave his office staff the credit card machine's refund code and we were "allowed" to cancel our 2nd night at 8:30 am.

The only "plus" to this place is that it is 5 min from where our games were being played....I think we'd all rather drive an hour than stay in this dump!!

My heart goes out to the people that have to work for such an irrational couple in such a dreary, depressing establishment.

This place is "outdated" and "rundown" at best. I'm more apt to call it unsafe and even for some of our families, though not all, unsanitary.

And the kicker here is, no amount of paint or repairs made to the building could cover up or repair the very poor attitude of its owners!!

• Stayed: February 2013