“salmonella anyone?”

St James Gate Pub & Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Pub, Gastropub, Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Whether you're visiting or shopping the downtown core of Charlottetown, St. James Gate has the meals you crave for lunch or dinner with friends, family or for business and corporate meetings. We are located on Kent St. across from the Confederation Court Mall within walking distance to great downtown tourist attractions, theatres, downtown hotels and transit. Food: With knowledgeable service and great food, you can sit back and enjoy fresh seafood, pasta, steak, gourmet sandwiches and perfect salads. If you are out for a late night or early evening bite, visit us for cocktails, local beer and appetizer at our pub and restaurant. St. James Gate is the perfect destination when in downtown Charlottetown. Music In the mood for some great Island Entertainers? We are proud to boast the best acoustic performers from Charlottetown and the East Coast. Check out our ENTERTAINMENT listing to see our upcoming lineup of Acoustic Shows and adult friendly music. It is a must see while visiting Charlottetown. Private Rooms: Are you looking for Private Dining? We have 2 large private rooms for any type of party, whether it is a birthday, wedding rehearsals or corporate functions. With our amazing service staff and our menu catered to your special event, we are sure that you will win over your guest with our private rooms.
Reviewed August 18, 2010

My girlfriend and I were driving though Charlottetown and decided to stop somewhere to eat. We looked at many menus around and decided on St James Gate. The food sounded delicious and the place looked great.
We waited to be seated but no one came. We had to wait until they were done their chat with each other before being noticed. Once seated, drinks were served quickly and our order was taken soon after. We ordered the chicken bruschetta to start and the chicken baguette for the main course. The bruschetta didn't look like bruschetta and didn't even look like it was cooked fully. My girlfriend took one bite of the bruschetta and that was all she ate of it. She said the chicken had the texture of being undercooked and full of fat. At first I didn't agree until the main course came.
We split the chicken baguette and it looked amazing. After one bite, we both realized that we didn't want any more. Again, the chicken felt undercooked in the middle, over cooked on the edges. It was near impossible to chew. The fries were good but not worth the $10 for the plate.
When the waitress came to collect the plate, she didn't even ask if it was good even though 3/4 of the food was still on the plate and she brought us our bill.
It was $27 for the food and for the taste, it should have been $2.
However, the Tim Hortons down the road is excellent.

Reviewed February 27, 2010

I took my fiancée to the St. James' Gate restaurant, just before Christmas, last year (09). I have been there before once or twice with some friends, but only stayed for a few drinks. However, I figured that it would be a nice place to take my fiancée for supper. After all, the place looks fairly classy and fine dining is apparently their specialty. I had a 6pm reservation, yet for some reason we were made to wait for 15 minutes at the host-stand to be seated. Have they not heard of the wonderful invention commonly referred to as a “Reserved” card; which is placed on the tables that have been reserved?

Finally we were seated and had ordered our food. When, it was brought out I immediately realized that this was far from fine dining. It was fancy pub food and nothing more. For a place that puts so much emphasis on an overall appearance and atmosphere of high class and exclusivity, the food was, in my opinion a disappointment. I ordered a 10 oz. New York strip-loin steak, which I ordered rare, (as I always do, when having steak, even though my soon to be wife thinks it’s gross). My fiancée ordered some sort of stuffed Chicken breast, which in her words was: “good, but it’s nothing to rave about”.

The same sense of disappointment was delivered by our server who delivered my fiancée’s meal almost 10 minutes after I had received mine. There’s nothing more awkward than have a plate full of food in front of you, while your date is sitting there, hungry and waiting for her food to arrive. I waited for maybe 5 minutes, out of courtesy, before I began to eat so that I wouldn’t have to endure eating a cold blood-soaked hunk of meat.

But, even the kitchen staff seemed not too concerned with cooking the entrees to the customer’s specifications. The 10 oz strip-loin, was definitely not ‘rare’ as I had asked. It was barely even medium rare. I have been to many dining establishments in my lifetime and I cannot remember the last time somebody screwed up ‘rare’. For a regular 10 oz striploin: grill on maximum heat for 3 minutes on side, turn-over, 3 minutes on the other and your done. Not very hard at all. Needles to say; that was the last time that I’ll ever visit St. James Gate.

Reviewed June 17, 2009

My wonderful trip to PEI went downhill from the moment I walked through the door into St. James' Gate.
We walked through the door into a nicely decorated Restaurant. A sign at the host-stand told us to please wait to be seated. And so we did. We waited and waited and waited. And then we waited some more. That alone was enough reason for me to leave but my wife really wanted to stay. So we walked up to the bar where 3 (!) waitresses were standing around chatting and playing with their cell phones. As soon as they noticed us they put on their smiles and found us a nice table. We ordered our drinks. I have to say I was very impressed with the selection of draft offered. If only it wouldn’t take 10 minutes to get 2 glasses of beer. That would have been okay for a busy place but it was mid afternoon and they had only one table besides ours. Our food order was taken almost 30 minutes after we walked in. We had some time to look around and noticed our waitress checking her phone AGAIN and it must have been exciting because it caused another 5-minute delay until our order was actually placed. Once the order was rung in the food was served very quickly. For pub food it was really not bad. My wife had pasta which she said was delicious and I had a burger which I found just a little overcooked but I have definitely had worse burgers. I chose a spinach salad for my side and it was very, very good. My wife insisted on dessert and picked a homemade cheesecake. That cheesecake was absolutely wonderful! And I don’t even like cheesecake, but that was the best dessert I’ve EVER had.
So my verdict- the food at St. James’ Gate in Charlottetown is definitely great. But the service is a nightmare. There were dirty dishes left on empty tables while the servers sat around and chatted. This restaurant would be great if they would choose a few servers that actually know how to do the job and not just look the part.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed September 12, 2008

Great salmon & spinach dip!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook