“Good gastropub in downtown Charlottetown”
Review of The Gahan House

The Gahan House
Ranked #6 of 249 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Gahan House Pub opened in June 2001 and quickly became one of Charlottetown's favourite restaurants. Its unique and friendly atmosphere, food, and fine Ales have helped to establish it as a destination of choice for locals and tourists alike. From our house to your house... Cheers! Hours Monday/Tuesday 11am - 11pm (kitchen close) 12am (bar close) Wednesday/Thursday 11am - 12am (kitchen close) 1am (bar close) Friday/Saturday 11am - 12am (kitchen close) 2am (bar close) Sunday 11am - 10pm (kitchen close) 11om (bar close)
toronto
“Good gastropub in downtown Charlottetown”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I had lunch here with a couple of friends here recently. The service was fantastic, friendly and fast. The food was very good. We had the lobster clubhouse, a burger and the chicken and goat cheese wraps. Portions were pretty large, so bring an appetite. Sampled some of the beer that is made on the premises and it was lovely. The location is fantastic as it is centrally located to everything downtown.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank tinasimpkin

New Brunswick
“Gahan beer is fantastic”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Come here for the beer, the food is average.
The description and ingredients of what I had, mussels and lobster fettuccine were inviting me to a mysterious and exciting taste experience; unfortunately both were nothing to write home (or Facebook) about. Mussels missed more shallots and more garlic, taste was bland. The lobster in the fettuccine was scarce and only had the part of the lobter claws that all of us Maritimers really don't care for. I even had to add salt to my plate...which I shouldn't have to when eating lobster.
Service is indeed exceptional, friendly courteous and attentive..their beer are just fantastic.
I'll be back to try more beer and try something else on the menu to determine if this is just a good beer place.

1 Thank Tumbleleena
Swift Current
“Great Beer”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This place was fun and had great beer they brew themselves. They had great flavors and its a fun environment!

Visited May 2014
Mississauga, Canada
“The Beer Was Good ... ...”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We went on a walk and tasting tour of Charlottetown and this place came highly recommended. On the tour we got to sample the beer and see where they made it on the lower level. When we came back for lunch later we should have requested to sit downstairs again or waited for a table outside...
We were sat in a window seat facing the street side of the restaurant. That would have been a nice view aside from the delivery truck that blocked most of the street. I wouldn't hold the restaurant accountable for that... what I would hold them accountable for is how absolutely dirty the dining room was. I understand that it is an old building with a lot of history behind it, but we had been to many old buildings on our vacation, and that is no excuse for the lack of cleanliness at the Gahan House. There was an old radiator beside us (in front of the window) that looked like it hadn't been touched for years.There was salt and dust and old crumbs of food all over and under it. It made me itchy just looking at it. The atmosphere (at least in the dining room) was very dark and, well, just old. Not "quaint, nicely kept or handled with care old" - it just looked like "it hadn't been updated or restored for decades old".The veneer on the tables was bubbling and peeling off, the chairs had mismatched upholstery, there were bare bulbs on the light fixtures, the ceiling was painted a dark green - making the place feel dark and enclosed even though we were by a window.
Even still, I really wanted to give this place a chance because I've heard great reviews and, like the title says, the beer was good. We ordered the nachos, and they were ok (the spicy cheese dip was good). Then we had the brown bag fish and chips. The fries were ok, but the fish was not. I don't know why, but the batter was mushy and I guess that made the fish taste not great.... But the beer was good. I had the Iron Bridge Brown Ale and my boyfriend had Sir John A's Honey Wheat Ale. The Iron Bridge was flavourful and the Honey Wheat was light and great for summer.
The service wasn't bad - I think our server was pretty much waiting every table inside and out, so she was busy, so any wait that we had I could understand.
It's too bad about the food and the attention to cleanliness, because I really wanted to like this place. It has a lot going for it, but it really missed the mark.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank TheQueensHeart
Hamilton, Canada
“Tasty meal, popular place”
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We visited Gahan House during our stay in Charlottetown. The restaurant was busy on a beautiful Wednesday evening and we had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. We were able to get a drink at the bar while we were waiting and it gave us an opportunity to choose from their large selection of craft beers. I ordered the fish tacos and my boyfriend ordered the beef sandwich. Both were very tasty. If you don't mind a bit of a wait and a busy restaurant (loud, bustling atmosphere) I suggest you give this place a try (or call ahead to make reservations).

Visited July 2014