“Awesome birthday dinner!!”

The Gahan House
Ranked #7 of 262 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the original Gahan House, located in the heart of historic Charlottetown. We’ve been brewing craft beer, serving great food, and showcasing the warmth and hospitality PEI is famous for since 2001. When you think about Gahan, you might think Sir John A’s Honey Wheat Ale and Brown Bag Fish & Chips or a great venue for local music and the perfect place to have a meet up with friends. No matter what Gahan means to you, the common thread is it’s always an experience. There are now Gahan locations across the Maritimes and we’re proud to be the ones that started it all. Experience the beer. Experience the food. Experience the culture. Come experience Gahan.
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We have a cottage UpWest in PEI, and chose the Gahan House for my wife's birthday dinner. We shared the occasion with our son, my wife's sister, and her daughter, who as a 19-year-old, had her first legal drink.

Server, Katie, was very pleasant. The Gahan draught beer is top-rate. Scallops wrapped in bacon with a maple accent, were huge, best we've ever had. Fish & Chips are as good as advertised, pulled pork got a good report, and when my sister-in-law's steak was overdone, not only was it brought back to the kitchen readily, with apologies from the manager, but it was deleted from the bill as well.

Atmosphere is very pleasant, service great. It was a memorable birthday dinner; the birthday girl was very pleased.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We had to wait a few minutes for a table as this is a popular spot. The architecture is interesting and you can read about the history of the building on the menu. We both had steak and enjoyed our meals.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Three of us ate lunch there and found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful when we needed explanations of the various beers. They were specializing in various lobster dishes when we went but, since one of us had a shellfish allergy, we checked to be sure there were lots of other choices. She avoided ordering shellfish, naturally, but did mention her allergy to the waitress. The manager came out a few minutes later to tell her that he could not be 100% certain if what she had ordered might be fried in oil that had previously been used to deep fry shrimp. We greatly appreciated their conscientiousness. All three of our meals were tasty and the portions were large.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Came in on Victoria Day, a rainy Monday in May 2014. Tables were dirty and three different waitresses asked if we were being taken care of and offered to clean off a table for us. Quite hospitable. We ordered the veggie sandwich (a bean burger with mustard and [curry?], with a great mix of flavors) and the lobster salad (not a lot of lobster, but a good dressing and nice arugula). We also split the beer sampler, which had way more beer than we were expecting. Looked like we got to try every beer they sell. We thought some were better than others, of course, but several paired quite nicely with the food. The blueberry beer was, happily, not too sweet. Portions were enough to fill my wife and I. Smaller than the average American restaurant meal but that's a good thing in my book.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I tried a few of their brews and the Red and Brown was definitely my favorite. I asked staff what the recommended as their star dish... so I went with the highly recommended Fish and Chips with Sweet Potato fries. Exceptional!

My only beef is that place is packed with dudes, where are the women of Charlottetown!?