All reviews banana bread light breakfast provided loft room place to stay heritage home few minutes walk stayed here for two nights convenient location levi hostel dorm pei laundromat downtown toilet canada conference
Selected filters
Reviewed September 25, 2018

We stayed here for two nights in a lovely private room (think we lucked out on that actually) and from the moment we arrived and Levi greeted us we felt at home. Lots of helpful advice about the town, a comprehensive tour of the hostel and its facilities, a great (included) breakfast each morning and exceptionally friendly and efficient staff. The place was clean, welcoming and felt loved.

Room tip: Ask for the private suite on the 1st (UK 1st) floor.
Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2018

I initially booked a bed for 4 nights and once I got there, I extended my stay for one week because I wanted to relax a bit after extensive travelling and thought Charlottetown would be the place. Anyway, the very first morning of my stay at the hostel (and in PEI), I was sitting at the kutchen table taking with another guest and one the of staff when in walks Levi (the proprietor--as stated on his business card), and says "how are you doing?" Apparently, he said, "how are you doing (insert staff member name here), however, I did not hear him refer to her and being in a good mood, I replied, "great, thank you." Mr. Levi stood there and said (I kid you not), "You are not (staff member name here). I was talking to (staff member name here)." It took me a moment to realize that he was NOT kidding. He was annoiyed that me, a paying customer to his establishment replied to him instead of his staff member. I sat there, shocked, humiliated in front of the guest and staff member, and feeling incredibly unwelcome and uncomfortable. He even had the nerve to then direct the question to me afterwards as if to say, "ok, now I'm talking to you." Who does that? A rude, arrogant, jerk does that. Several more encounters with him confirmed that this was not an isolated incident. He is rude and arrogant. I decided then that I was not going to stay the whole week and wanted to leave that moment if I could, but I couldn't get a decent priced transportation out of PEI until 2 nights later because everything is so expensive there, especially transportation, so I ended up only staying a rather grueling 3 nights after giving them my 24 hour notice to leave the next day. Frankly, I was ready to get out of there the first day because after walking around the pier and "downtown", which is actually just one street that takes about 1 hour to traverse and see it in its entirety, I had basically seen all that I needed to see in 24 hours of being in PEI. 3 days was overkill. The hostel itself is an old home that is owned by Mr. Charming himself, aka Levi. It is cramped, especially with many people staying in it. The female dorms are on the first floor right next to the main entrance and a foot away from the stairway that leads up to the mens dorms and bathrooms, so expect a lot of foot traffic and noise in the female dorms. And there is only one bathroom for women and it is up a narrow flight of stairs so you have many women vying for one bathroom. When I stayed there, one night there were at least 10 women staying there so yea, not fun in the morning when you have to go to the bathroom and someone is taking a shower in the only women's bathroom. Also, the women's dorms are located right beneath the mens dorms so you hear all the foot traffic and the jumping off of bunks and dropping luggage and bags on the floors. Also, since it is an old home, there is no ac and nights get hot and stuffy even with a fan. When a dorm gets filled up with women, the heat can be brutal. One woman kept jumping off her bunk and going outside in the middle of the night to get cool air because of how hot it was in the room. Also, the "breakfast" advertised is more like a couple pots of coffee, some slices of banana bread, 2 sliced oranges, and 2 bananas sliced with some regular bread and Peter Pan peanut butter and jam and once that is gone, it is gone. I went for breakfast at 9:00am and was shocked that there was nothing there. Many people were complaining about this. Oh, and another annoying factor that made my stay all the more uncomfortable was the fact that Levi keeps personal photos of himself on the walls right at the top of the stairs by the bathroom so everytime I went to the bathroom, I had the agonizing experience of seeing topless pictures of himself (way too much information, thanks), and pictures of him making foolish, dumb faces. It really felt like I was staying in this strange man's home surrounded by his stuff and wierd pictures of him half naked on the walls. Creepy. And when I cancelled the rest of my trip, I heard him speaking to a staff member about my cancellation and whining that it "was a lot of money" (that he would be losing). Yea, well, when you're a rude, arrogant jerk to guests, often that translates into lost revenue. My advice to travellers: I was amazed at how many gorgeous bed and breakfasts there were in Charlotttown in beautiful, charming historic homes, many on the water. And since you don't need a lot of time to see Charlottetown, I would recommend staying at one of the many lovely B&B's. They will also be cleaner because it appears as though this hostel only does one cleaning a week and the bathrooms get gross fast. There was a woman's clump of hair hanging to the rim of the toilet for 2 days when I was staying there. Also, the overall experience would be much more pleasant and enjoyable, in my opinion in a B&B. I wish I had done that. Also note, there were a bunch of students who appeared to be staying there long term and dominated the kitchen with daily cooking and it seemed to be more of a student hangout than anything else. Also, be prepared to walk at least 30 minutes to a regular, large grocery store if you don't have a car because there are no good grocery stores close by. The local stores are small and ill-equipped and super expensive. I tried to buy a bottle of water at a store on the same street and it was $4 a liter for water.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2018

This hostel is in a great location just a few minutes walk from the centre of Charlottetown.

The dorms are very clean and have some good touches like individual plug sockets etc. I was in the loft room, which has a rather low and narrow stairway, not ideal for the taller person, but there are normal beds when you get up there which was a pleasant surprise.

The staff are also generally very friendly and the free breakfast is a welcome start to the day and a good chance to meet and chat with other travellers.

I'd certainly stay here again.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here at beginning and end of a 11 day cycling trip. Friendly. Clean. Helpful. Convenient location. Light breakfast provided. Home made quick breads, fruit, etc. Extremely caring owners. Indoor bicycle storage. THE place to stay when in Charlottetown.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2018

I was visiting easter canada, and this was the best hostel that I stayed. It is a heritage home that is well maintained, clean, and NOT SMALL. I stayed in the loft room, and it wasn't a loft bed either.

Room tip: Loft room was awesome to enjoy the heritage house.
Date of stay: August 2018