“Best Breakfast Ever!”
Review of Colonial Charm Inn

Colonial Charm Inn
Ranked #2 of 44 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed at this lovely B&B because of a recommendation from friends who had stayed here and never have stopped talking about it since. I have read the reviews and agree 100% on everything written about the Colonial Charm Inn, I will not go into all the positive comments on rooms, service, location etc. because it has all been written and I can confirm that it is correct, what I want to say is that I was floored at breakfast, this was an experience that I will never forget. First of all I must say that the combination of Shelley the owner and Jeff the chef was a match made in heaven, Shelley has the most amazing personality that is so vibrant so passionate and so caring for every guest she interacts with, Jeff who is the most humble young man you could meet that is so talented at his craft that he has inspired me to take my studies back up as a chef. The two of them work so well together that it was so nice to see that it was truely a pleasure for them to serve us guests with the common goal of making our vacations something that you would soon not forget. In all of my years being around chefs I have never seen someone so natural at creating different dishes with so much ease and taste with whatever produce was provided at that time of year, I can't say enough about how impressed i was with all the breakfasts I sampled at the Colonial Charm a truely amazing experience everytime. I want to thank Shelley and Jeff for taking all the time to speak with me in the mornings and evenings I truely appreciate everything you have done for me and I look forward to visiting you again as I consider you good friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed May 19, 2012

This was our first time staying in a B&B and there are so many to choose from in Charlottetown we ended up choosing Colonial Charm Inn and we are glad we did. From the moment you arrive and are greeted by Shelley you immediately feel welcome. She is an amazing host who goes way beyond to make sure that your stay is going to be the perfect one. She is very knowledgable about the area and all it has to offer. All the rooms are very unique and charming with a lot of history. The beds are very comfortable and having a room with the outside balcony where you can sit, sip wine, and watch the world go by was so nice. The breakfasts in the morning are amazing and so much that you would not have to eat again till dinner that nite, prepared by a young chef named Jeff who was just as personable as Shelley he also helped us in anyway he also lives at the B&B and it wasn't unusual to find him in the evenings baking away on another unique creation that he is so amazing at we always got to sample his goods and we looked forward to the conversation and treats from this talented young man. We went on our way to tour the island and when we arrived back it was like coming home. When we were leaving it was warm genuine hugs all around and of course Shelley asking us if there is anything we needed for our trip home. If you get to Charlottetown check out this B & B you will not be dissapointed. We will definately return again for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I must admit, everything that everyone else has written about the Colonial Charm Inn is true. It is stellar, it is fantastic, it is comfortable, it is lovely, it is a true gem. Ah but the real gem behind it all is Shelley! Based on the reviews I read, which were quite instrumental in our choice to stay here, I envisioned her as someone a bit older,more motherly with the meticulousness of a school marm...in a good way. Shelley is hardly that! She is a lovely young woman with the grace and charm of a vibrant lady who is truly dedicated to hospitality. Words or photos cannot express the grandeur of the experience you will receive at the Colonial Charm Inn. We stayed there for over a week and when we departed, it was as if we were leaving a good friend. Shelley is genuinely helpful and courteous. She truly makes you feel at home, she has done an amazing job of transforming this property into an absolutely wonderful B&B!

From the moment you enter, you are greeted with genuine warmth and kindness. Shelley made us tea and gave us these unbelievable homemade cinnamon rolls, she is helpful without being overbearing in the least. She is so busy on the property, but one would never know it, for once your are given the keys to the front door and to your room, you feel as if you are in your own place. She is quick to provide information and meet your every need. She truly is a fabulous woman! I cannot give her enough accolades and she deserves them all.

We stayed in the Brighton suite and it was absolutely lovely. My husband and I are a bit on the thick side, so the huge bed was of utmost comfort to us. The bathroom is amazingly beautiful and large, with a jacuzzi tub. I was enthralled by the large balcony in which we spent a good many hours. The entire suite was luxurious, open and comforting. Shelley is one to pay attention to the finer touches, such as fresh scones and fresh flowers in the suite. I looked forward to that marvelous bed each night after our travels throughout PEI. It was relaxation at its best.

Shelley's breakfasts were incredible as well. I could not get enough of her varied menu each morning. Just delicious breakfasts!

The Colonial Charm Inn is truly everything wonderful everyone mentions of it....plus more! Each person will find something unique and special about it. Thanks to Shelley and her desirable Bed and Breakfast, our trip to PEI was absolutely perfect! See you next year!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a lovely B&B in downtown Charlottetown we stayed at while attending a graduation in town. Our room was spacious with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom. We had breakfast in the diningroom downstairs we enjoyed it very much it was delicious the room had original wood work all around very nice to look at. The hostess was exceptional at her job she gave us the best service we could ask for was was helpful in everyway. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I was so happy to see what a B&B should be, I have stayed in so many B&Bs that are new homes nice but no character that you can only get with a heritage home. This B&B had it all, original unpainted wood work, antiques throughout, the floor plan was never changed from original, bathrooms were added without losing any character of the home. All modern amenities were added to make it a comfortable stay while maintaining the heritage feel of the home. I am into old homes and antiques and when I found out that Shelly was an antique collector I was so happy to exchange stories about our finds, she did just an amazing job at placing antiques in the home. Shelly also collects vintage jewerly and that too could be found in the rooms used as decorative pieces.
I just had to write this review as I am so impressed with this B&B and will recommend to all my friends.

Room Tip: I have seen all rooms here and they are all great.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My stay at this beautiful Inn was a memory I will not soon forget, the moment I walked into B&B I knew it was going to be a special stay as I loved the decor and the warm feeling I felt as I walked upstairs to my room. I found this B&B on my drive to Charlottetown and I am glad I checked it out, Shelley who is just amazing at her job greeted me and offered me fresh baked goodies she was just taking out of the oven she then went on and told me everything I needed to know about Charlottetown and even made reservations for me at a fine downtown restaurant. I could go on and on about how nice my stay was but it would take me too long to finish. I love this B&B and will be back in my travels soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Simply put stay here for the breakfast, we stayed 9 days and everyday was a different breakfast that was prepared by the award winning chef. Shelley the owner told us every morning what the next days breakfast was to be it was exciting to wake up each morning with a new one of a kind taste delight. We stayed upstairs in the suite and spent quite a few days enjoying the large balcony. We loved the house and location but Shelley breakfasts and conversation each morning made the trip one to remember. we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple