“Back in Time”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Back in Time”
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I stayed at the Suites on Euston and found it to be like a trip back in time which is a good thing. Tired of Vancouver it was great to have a nice stay in a quite relaxed peaceful seting where I could reflect on the quieter moments in life for a change.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leewaun
fun656849, Owner at Suites of Euston, responded to this review, November 5, 2016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
charlottetown
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Hi,

I moved from India to PEI mid November. I needed to stay in a place which was furnished. I ended up staying in this place for 4 months. The location of the place is great.It is just minutes away from restaurants. Place was mostly calm and i never had any problem during my stay there. Overall it was a pleasant experience staying there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank dinmab
charlottetown
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Convenient, clean, quiet and cheap for location.Good value for the money.
Had a good stay would recommend.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank chris79594
NL
Reviewed September 24, 2009

We booked our reservations with the suites of Euston in March (myself and my mom) giving ourselves plenty of time so that we wouldn’t be scrambling for a place in Aug. My daughter was participating in the Canada games there and we were much hyped for the trip. I spoke with the owner, Todd Munn, and he wrote down our information (as he was driving I might add) and said everything was set to go. As the previous writer wrote, he mentioned about overbooking on an occasion before and I told him I hoped that this wouldn’t happen to us. No, he said, everything is confirmed for your arrival. Between March and the week before we were leaving, I kept in touch with Todd to make sure everything was set for our arrival on the 22nd of Aug. The times I spoke to him he seemed much disorganized, not being able to find his “Reservation book”. On the last week that I spoke with him he said the key would be in the mail box (yes, a red flag should have went up then). We arrived at the “suites” (and I use that term loosely) at around 7ish and like he said, the key was in the mail box. As we walked up over the steps, it was then I knew what kind of place we were going to spend in. The railing was practically falling down. The steps were very rickety and boards were cracked. As we opened the door to our room (room 1) we were shocked. The website we reviewed seem cleaned and quaint, not what we see when we opened the door. The “kitchen” (if we could call it that) contained one mug, some cutlery, glass and a knife. And to the writer above, we didn’t have the luxury of pots or pans cause there was nothing to cook on anyway. We had to go and purchase plates, mugs and so on just to accommodate us for the week. The bathroom contained a half roll of toilet paper and very few towels. It is still undetermined if the bed sheets were changed or not and there was no offer of changing the sheets for the entire week. The bed was placed in a squatted corner where the air conditioner was directly in your ear while you slept. Each day the phone rang and it would continue to ring until I had enough and unplugged it. We walked around the building to see what it was like out there and it was disgraceful – beyond words. I’m not really sure how this man is still in business.
When I took a shower the fire alarm went off and everybody came out of their rooms to make sure there was no fire (very embarrassing) We were paid a visit from Todd the next day looking for his pay. We had been told that the rooms were 79.00 per night. He decided no, we were to pay 89.00. I showed him the site I reviewed on my computer stating that the rooms were 79.00. He said the site was not updated and we had to pay the 89.00. The he proceeded to tell us that we never paid the amount on the visa that was required. We asked him to produce a copy of the transaction that had been made back in March. He said I’ll be right back. He brought in a scrape of paper where he had written down the info I gave him back in March. This was supposed to be his record of reservations (very scary, no wonder there were over bookings) Then he asked us to pay the rest at this time. I assumed you didn’t pay the rest till the end of your trip. So we told to put the rest of the credit card. He asked us for cash. It was actually laughable. This trip was supposed to be an enjoyable one where I could enjoy my daughter’s time at the games and perhaps take in some sites but the stay there dampened our spirits and it became very depressing just to go back there even if it was just to sleep. I would never recommend this place to anyone – not even my worst ememy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank NlDaughter

Travelers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

Montreal
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We booked our 2 night stay (Wed/Thurs in room 3: as part of our August vacation)very early back in May...we found Suites of Euston on line & everything looked very nice...virtual tour showed nice accomodations, close to everything, reasonable price & so we booked with Todd. He seemed personable & my initial reaction was very good.
Two weeks before we left for vacation, we were able to add an extra day to our PEI stay & called Todd to confirm & possibly change our room...He had to run out to his car for his agenda & while doing so, told me a story about double-booking another client the year earlier, paying for his error, etc...A red flag should have gone up.
At the end of our conversation, it was agreed that we were confirmed for 3 nights (Tues/Wed/Thurs) in the bigger room 1.
When we were watching the ferry pull in at Pictou for our trip over to PEI, my cell phone rang (we drove in from Montreal 2 days earlier) and it was Todd asking to speak with some unknown person. I clarified to him to whom he was speaking with and he was surprised. I asked him if everything was still a go for our arrival in a couple of hours & he got all flustered & said that he had booked our room that night to another person, and basically we were on our own. I was not impressed...it was 3pm, we're at the ferry & now we had to scramble to find accommodations for our first night stay in PEI.
After driving around, calling a few places, we ended up at the Garden Gate...the best we could do for that night. It was quaint & although it doesn't have all too great reviews, we were relieved to have found a place during the end of high tourist season on very short notice.
When we got to the Suites of Euston the next day, we were not greeted by any body. Todd told us our keys would be in the mailbox. The parking in the back is a joke. There are, to my knowledge, 7 suites & parking space in back squeezes in 4 compact cars (we have a Matrix) like sardines, and if you didn't get back in time in the evening, you had to park on the side of the building, careful not to block the neighbors or, you were basically screwed. The building is historic, but the accommodations really crappy, unless you're looking for low end hostel features...the bathroom had an odour of urine, probably from a leaky toilet bowl seal; the stand up shower was dirty & very cheap (shower nozzle sticking out of an un-finished dry-wall); the kitchenette was horrible! There was so much ice in the fridge/freezer, we couldn't get 5 tiny ice packs to fit into the freezer portion. There was an old oven w/2 burners on the top which was placed on top of the fridge/freezer, which probably accounted for all the ice buildup. The pots/pans were crap & the utensils needed to be re-washed (or just simply washed). The remote control for our tv did not work. Our bedroom curtains, which were tasteful, were thin & didn't afford much privacy at night if we wanted the lights on (we were on the 1st floor).
Our bed sheets were totally crinkled and I surmise that Mr Munn comes by only to collect money & make the beds/clean up rooms...When I went to do some personal laundry, I found a set of bed sheets sitting in the dryer from the day before. The basement is not completely finished, with wires hanging from the ceiling & pink insulation uncovered.
I spoke with a nice couple from France who told me their dissatisfaction as well. They were in suite 7 & the bathroom was filthy.
We wanted to pay via interac (big sign on the door says "Just ask for Interac", and Mr Munn gave me a song and dance about it costing him if he passes our debit card...so I decide I want a receipt anyway and give him my credit card number. He was unprepared to take the info & called me later that evening to tell me he lost my cc number (I was NOT impressed....can you say nuclear melt-down?)... I gave it to him AGAIN & then he calls me back about 20 min later to say something's wrong and it's not going through... (Can you say CASH transaction?)...
Oh, and the telephone is an old Nortel office model with 6 lines....and they all ring, so unplug it or it rings constantly... (or press "Feature 86 for "do not allow calls"). You can't even make a 1-800 call because any number starting with a 1 is considered long distance and is blocked...
I've been wanting to write my review for some time now and be the first person, but someone else beat me to it.
This was a big,big downer for us, but the rest of PEI visit was beautiful...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jasmine514
Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2009

My partner and I attempted to stay at the Suites of Euston -- we had found it online and the price was reasonable for the peak summer season.
When we called to book, we spoke to 'Todd Munn'. He was very disorganized, and couldn't seem to tell us whether he had any vacancy for us or not. He asked if he could look into it further and would call us back to confirm. A few minutes later he called us back to confirm our booking, and took our credit card number to reserve our stay.
When we arrived in Charlottetown, Todd was in the parking lot -- when we approached him he was very confrontational, telling us that he no vacancy for the night. When we reminded him of his call back to us confirming our stay, he denided it and was unecessarily rude to us about the matter.
Otherwise, our stay in Charlottetown was fantastic -- we ended up staying in the Quality Inn across the street from the Suites of Euston; great service & great room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple