“Great for lunch”

Ranked #14 of 255 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Farm-To-Table
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This bustling room provides many options,from take out ,to market goods,to sit down lunch.
The menu is mostly sandwiches and lighter fare,with a lovely selection of housemade charcuterie and cheese.Very nice decor with high ceilings and hand lettered blackboard menus. Dont forget to visit Liquid Gold next door for amazing olive oil and vinegars.
Our food was served promptly and was very nicely presented.

There are newer reviews for Terre Rouge Bistro Marche

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The following is what I submitted through the "contact us" section of the Terre Rouge website two days after our evening there. To date I have received no response to my comments, further proof that the management of this restaurant has no respect for its customers.

"My husband and I were at your restaurant on Wednesday evening with four of our friends for dinner. According to our receipt, our server was named Jason. It was not a successful experience for any of us.

To begin with I was confused by the fact that the two chalk board "menus" were inconsistent in not only the item descriptions, but in the pricing as well. Once I looked at the menu I realized that there was, in fact, a third 'version' to consider. When we asked which we could rely on for accuracy we were told that it was too difficult to 'keep up' any changes on the two blackboards.

Before ordering the Steak Frites I inquired as to why a potato purée would be included in a description of steak and fries, and was told "that's the way we do it". Not a huge fan of double carbs, but, I gave it a go. When my steak arrived I found it to be an extremely tough piece of meat. One server (not our server) stopped by to ask how everything was, and I told him that my steak was on the tough side. He said that he would speak to the chef. I heard nothing further on this. Some time later when our server came to the table and I mentioned to him that my steak was tough, he said that they had been receiving comments all week that the cut of meat was on the tough side, he removed my plate. Again, I heard nothing further from any staff at Terre Rouge on my inedible steak - a meal which I was unable to eat, for which we were charged, and paid, full price.

Added to the poor quality of my meal, the condescending attitude and rude service from our server was the final straw. From start to finish I was consistently addressed by the server as "Miss" (I am a 53 year old woman out for dinner with my husband and friends, calling me "Miss" was ignorant, at best). At the end the server began to argue with us over the bills when we were invariably charged the higher option for any multiply-priced item.

Apparently you pride yourselves on "... a few basic philosophies we agreed would never change…
#1 A Farm to Table focus.
#2 ‘No’ does not exist in our service vocabulary.
#3 Make everything from local product.
#4 Terre Rouge has to be fun, hip and never stuffy.
and #5………….The food has to [--]."

I would comment:

#2 - your staff may not say it, but their actions speak louder than words.

#4 - if you believe 'fun' and 'hip' translates to rude, pretentious and arrogant, then you have achieved that successfully.

#5 - personally, based on the meal I was served - epic fail."

1  Thank Liisa C
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We dropped into this place for a coffee and ended up having an amazing "light" lunch. Service was impecable, prompt and knowledgable. We enjoyed the soup of the day - a delicious tomato bisque and the charcuterie platter which was amazing. We thought the prices were very reasonable. Having been impressed with lunch we were tempted by the Dinner menu and returned later that evening. The place had a different, more sophisticated vibe when we returned. The wait staff appeared to have changed over but we again received excellent, knowledgable service. The menu choices are indeed on the richer side and we were happy to pick two of the richer dishes - the beef Wellington and the duck breast. Both were excellent, perfectly prepared, piping hot and delicious. We followed with a "taster" of their in house prepared gelatos. They offer 8 flavors and you can pick three. What an amazing deal - ours were delicious and much more than a "taste". Do not miss the lemon EVOO sorbet - it is to die for!

This place has an amazing concept and I sincerely hope they do well. I want to come back next year!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Was in PEI in August & noticed Terre Rouge so I had to give it a try. Opened in Oct 2012 so that is a good sign that it might be around for awhile..Wonderful food, "Farm to Table" concept, wonderful selection of home made cured meats as well cheese & home made breads. The food was delicious, Cheese & Meat board was one of the best I have had in a long time, Wine was wonderful but not the greatest selection. I would suggest making a reservation for either Lunch or Dinner especially during the summer months.The service was just OK! had the same server twice & don't think she was from the Island...rather abrupt & rude( I have noticed alot of reviews saying the same thing so I hope that the owners take note for you can have great food but if the servers are RUDE you will loose customers & they wont be shy to tell their friends Not to go)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The first thing we noticed after being seated and given the printed menues was the price differences ( all higher) that were printed in the menu- to those prices printed on the 'chalkboard' menu - when we brought this important detail up with our server (Jason) he explained in a non-chalant manner that we were to ignore the prices on the 'chalkboard' - the prices on the menu would 'win' - for example- the bottle of wine we chose was listed as being $37 / bottle- we were charged $40/ bottle !! Absolutely nothing was done to solve this dilemma !! Also- when 2 of our party had concerns about their 'tough' beef- our server explained that 'the kitchen was having problems with that cut of beef' !!!! That was ALL that was said and done !!!! And the full price was charged for both 'bad' meals !!! At no time did our server or anyone else offer an alternative !!!! Very poor service !! An email, directly after, was sent to Terre Rouge - and they chose not to respond at all !! Bad business I'd say !

4  Thank bellatony