“Not what you expect!”

Ranked #15 of 262 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Farm-To-Table
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went Saturday for lunch. I had the pulled pork mac and cheese with a wilted salad. You think pulled pork there should be pork in it. Well if I had a maginying glass I may have found more than 3 thumbnail sized pieces of what resembles pork. My dining guest had pot pie which consisted of two large hunks of fat which did not resemble chicken which I would be ashamed to serve. My expectations are not high but this didn't even come close. Throw in two 4 oz glasses of wine which is not a glass anywhere else and the total was 46 bucks for less than good food. Maybe the other reviewers have never actually been anywhere the food is actually good. Thank god for the gift certificate becasue I felt as I had an audit from revenue canada for a lunch bill. I don't mind paying for good food but I am still waiting for it.

4  Thank Spuddler

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Charlottetown has really been needing a place like Terre Rouge - a high-end bistro/deli combined. The focus here is completely on top quality food and they hit their mark. The in-house charcuterie, the well-chosen cheeses, the top quality baked goods - they're all excellent and Terre Rouge is about the only place in Charlottetown that offers such fare. The eat-in meals are excellent - although be prepared to have your arteries clogged up a bit, as they do tend to rely on fat for flavour (not that that's a bad thing). My wife and I have had lunch here 3 times and each time it's been excellent. The flavours are well balanced, the ingredients fresh and the service friendly. The desserts are particularly good - their pastry chef is excellent. Portion size is normal for a bistro - perhaps a little small for people who are used to eating at chain restaurants - and the price very reasonable for the quality of the food. It is obvious that the chefs at Terre Rouge care deeply about their offerings and it shows.

1  Thank ubergeek101
Reviewed December 25, 2012

As a local, we have been hearing a lot about this new comer to Charlottetown.
Three us went mid week, reserved for 6:30 and enjoy a truly wonderful meal. We did not find the portions small as some others have reported, the wait staff was very knowledgeable about all items on the menu and very accommodating about describing the dish when delivered to the table. We ordered a nice bottle of wine (reasonably priced) and overall had a very memorable experience.
First course was the incredible charcuterie platter - don't order unless you have someone to share this with or unless you are at Terre Rouge for lunch and this is the only time you wil be ordering. Main course meals included the maple braised pork belly and pork loin combo and, as described by another contributor, it was exquisite! My dinner companions shared the dessert sampler. This was advertised as the chef creation but was actually a sample of all (most?) of the items on the dessert menu. Vote for best dessert went to the bread pudding. I opted for the cheese platter after the meal and, although the portion was generous, the cheeses offered were not as interesting as some of the other cheese Terre Rouge offers for purchase. I would suggest you request specific cheeses from the display case if you are a cheese lover. TO NOTE: Terre Rouge does not offer pre dinner cocktails. We started the evening at the cocktail lounge around the corner and up the street on the second floor of the Brickhouse. Bread is not offered with the meal but costs $5 for a variety of bread slices and special butters. We purchased and would not again.

2  Thank HappyCanadian13
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This restaurant serves really good food. The service was excellent as well. Now here's where it got ugly real fast!

First of all, we order some crab cake. The plate was nicely done with small portion of cake. After the first bite, my wife which is a chef with a fine palette discover a very strong taste of Salt Cod. When we ask our server, she said that it was crab not cod. Upon completion of our meal, my wife again ask the server to ask the chef cause we were only getting large piece of fish. Upon verification with the kitchen staff, they said we were correct that the crab was mix cod with more cod than crab. So obviously sell fish cake not crab cake...which by the way were delicious.

When we came up to pay, we ask to talk to the manager, cause one should pay for a crab cake not a fish cake. He told us that if it was a crab cake he would sell it for $20 not 12! which we would pay if they were.

Although we were planning on returning, my 1 out of 5 has come from his attitude towards us for asking us not to return to his establishment. Being a local resident of Charlottetown and frequent dinner, I want to share my experience to all. If he's just a manager, he has no skill and should be taught to respect his clientel.

Obviously this one will most likely fall out of my places to go!

3  Thank Stephan933
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This restaurant is worth visiting, with some caveats. First, at peak hours give yourself a lot of time - and a lot of time means double what you expect and then add a few more minutes. Second, if sitting cheek to jowl with the strangers next to you is your idea of cozy, then you won't have a problem. Finally, I'd recommend that you go off peak hours, stay away 11:30 - 1:30 and 5:00 - 7:00. If you go during "down time" you'll get great rather than confused service, and the food will still be excellent. Two more pieces of advice, if you enjoy talking about food, call the owner to your table - he's a wealth of knowledge. And if you like olives . . don't pass them by or the Olive Oil story next door.

3  Thank 154976Wonderer7