“Heaven on Earth”

Fairholm National Historic Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed June 8, 2010

It was a dark rainy day when we arrived to Charlottetown, PEI and we were looking for a reasonable accommodation for the night. After checking out 4-5 places and prices we found Fairholm National Historic Inn. The Inn keeper (a helpful, elegant young woman) was so kind even allowed me to view the two available rooms. I was really impressed; however I had to discuss the offering with my two friends. We decided to look around more as the price was a bit high for us. After checking out 2-3 other places we went back to Fairholm and rented the room with a contented heart as we knew we will get a great place for the price we pay. All of us were very happy and satisfied with our room, service and the delicious PEI potato frittata breakfast that was prepared by Erin. This Inn was the highlight of our trip and we truly felt that we have to come back here another time with our significant other.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank angica03
innkeeper230, Manager at Fairholm National Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2010

Thank you so much for your review! It was lovely to meet you all and I hope the rest of your vacation was wonderful as well!

Reviewed December 21, 2009

Good points:

Location
History and some original features such as moldings

Bad points:

Dusty
Dark
Inexperienced innkeepers
Run down

I would choose to stay a little closer to downtown at one of the nicer, upkept places like the Great George or close to the water at the Elmwood Inn.

This place was a huge disappoinment and not worth the money, even in the off season.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank Bubsy B
innkeeper230, Manager at Fairholm National Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2010

At Fairholm, we take guest comments to heart, so I'm very sorry that a guest had a disappointing stay with us earlier this winter. It's so difficult to receive a bad review only after a guest has left the Inn. We strive to provide a welcoming, comfortable and elegant home away from home, but we unfortunately fell short for this guest. Now instead of making amends and improving the quality of their stay, we are forced to do “damage control”. We do, however, appreciate the constructive criticism so that we can improve our facility and service for future guests. To start, I'd like to address some of the complaints in this review.

“Dusty”: Fairholm was built in 1838 out of Island brick. This old brickwork produces a fair amount of dust, especially on windy days, so we vacuum and dust suites and common areas every single day. We recognize the importance of an immaculate room and do our very best to keep our Inn spotless.

“Dark”: After receiving several comments from our guests about low-lighting, we chose to brighten things up a bit. All our chandelier bulbs were changed from 40 W to 60 W (that's over 200 bulbs!) We've added more lamps to common areas and changed our bedside reading lamps to accommodate two bulbs intead of one. We think these changes have made a big difference in brightness at Fairholm.

“Inexperienced Innkeepers”: It's true that when this review was written, Shawn and I were new at Fairholm. This does not mean that we were in any way unprofessional or unqualified. We live on-site and are all call 24 hours a day to answer your phone calls, answer questions and help with your vacation plans. While we may not know absolutely everything about Island history, culture, geography, weather and dining, we can always find an answer for you and we will always maintain the professionalism befitting a Five Star Inn. We are a small staff...only three people! I firmly believe that our small size and love for our work allows us to make each guest feel special and well-cared for.

“Run-Down”: When Fairholm Inn was purchased from the Rogers family in 1999, much of the Rogers Estate was bought along with the house. That means that many of our beds, dressers, wardrobes, chairs and mirrors are original to Fairholm and are over 170 years old! Our wallpaper, hardwood floors and some area rugs are also original. These pieces are antiques, and although we take great care of them, they inevitably show some wear. It was a conscious decision to keep these pieces as part of the home instead of purchasing new furniture. They are an integral part of Fairholms' history and are part of staying at National Historic Site.

Fairholm is a truly amazing Inn. It's truly a beautiful, warm and welcoming home away from home and a wonderful place to stay during your visit to our lovely Island!
I sincerely hope that this review will not deter any visitor from staying at Fairholm Inn. These guests were disappointed with their stay, but they've- perhaps unfairly- given a sweeping review before notifying us of any problem or giving us a chance to rectify these shortcomings. I hope that any reader with further questions will visit our website or contact us directly; we would love to hear from you!

Erin Henry
Innkeeper

Reviewed November 4, 2009

The Fairholm exceeded out expectations in meeting our needs. Comfortable, elegantly cozy, staff were very pleasant & accomodating, and the breakfast's were a great way to start out the day. Excellent B&B that we will use again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrWils0n
Reviewed September 19, 2009

WOW What can I say but probably the best place I have stayed in. This house is absolutely incredible. Its like walking into the past as this was built in the mid 1800's.
We absolutely loved our room the Havilland room, very spacious with a fireplace , loveseats, jetted tub and shower, antique mirror and tall ceilings with crown moulding going around. Yes it also had a AC unit that was quiet.
The staff was absolutely the best as John the chef was very informative of what to see in PEI. Only negative was that the breakfast portions were not that big but were very delicious but I am used to a bigger breakfast as I skip lunch and have supper.
We looked at some other B&B but nothing compared to this place.
If its good enough for Paul McCartney its good enough for anybody. His picture is hanging on the wall as he stayed there during the seal protest.
If I go back to Charlottetown would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MedicineHatThehawk
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This was a great spot for staying in Charlottetown without the noise of the center of town yet an easy walk to everything. The folks here could not have been nicer with special kudos to chef Sean whose dining and touring tips were great (especially the tip on Greenwich beach.) The room was beautifully appointed and large with a great bathroom. While the bed sloped to the middle and the water tank of the mobile air-conditioner had to be manually emptied, overall this was a wonderful place.

2  Thank EJF-JSC
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We stayed in one of the larger rooms on the second floor and really enjoyed our sleeps. The breakfasts were fantastic each morning and they were kind enough to cater to my dietary restrictions (gluten-free pancakes were delicious). I wish that our vacation in Charlottetown ran through Monday so we could enjoy the dinner offered by Sean but it didn't happen that way, unfortunately.

Terry & Dalton are the innkeepers that live in the basement (pitifully) :) and were so helpful when we needed directions or a recommendation for dinner...or when we locked ourselves out at 2:30 in the morning. *Sorry, guys*

Please eat at 'Lot 30' once during your stay in P.E.I. and you won't regret it! The food is soooooooooo good and the drinks are killer. (They have mojitos made with fresh mint - to die for) Also, if you prefer an outdoor dining experience, try 'Flex Mussels' on the waterfront.

As for location, you can walk almost anywhere downtown from Fairholm and a good thing, because there is little parking available near the waterfront.

One complaint for me would be those modified motorcycles that seemed to go up the street on the west side of the building. My husband slept through it but I found it distracting.

2  Thank Babrfurb
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We stayed at the Fairholm for 3 nights recently on a trip to PEI. We had first considered the Shipwright, but thought the rooms seemed very expensive. We were not disappointed with the Fairholm.

Our room (the Luceitia Starr Suite) was one of the less expensive rooms in the inn, but we found it to be very spacious, more than adequate, and immaculately clean. We were on the second floor, and I don't think there was anyone else staying on that floor while we were there, so we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves! We also peeked in the other rooms on our floor (the doors were wide open and they were unoccupied, so how could we resist!) and all of them looked very nice.

The Lucetia Starr room has a large sitting area with two wing chairs, and it was great to be able to sit and have a drink at the end of the day without one of us having to sit on the bed. The bathroom was plenty spacious and nice as well, with a marble topped dresser that gave us plenty of room to spread out our toiletries.

The inn provides a computer station on the second floor for guests. As the inn was fairly empty during our stay, we had the computer all to ourselves to check email, etc. There is also an icemaker and a small refrigerator for guests, which was nice.

No choice is offered at breakfast, but we found each breakfast to be perfectly fine. The quality of the food was better than what we found in other hotels/inns we stayed in during our tour of Nova Scotia and PEI.

The Fairholm offers dinner one night a week in season. We decided to have dinner at the inn and it was probably the best meal we had during our entire trip. The five-course dinner was $65/person including wine, and was an excellent value. The mussels were right out of the sea and absolutely perfect. The butter-poached lobster was maybe the best lobster I have ever had.

The house itself has been beautifully preserved and is decorated very appropriately to its time period. It is definitely Victorian, but I did not find it to be overly fussy.

My only complaints would be:
--there was a great deal of street noise. I am a New Yorker and am used to street noise, but somehow it seemed almost more obtrusive here. On the other hand, had we elected to use our air conditioner (which we did not, in part because the weather was cool and in part because it is a freestanding unit that requires the user to empty the condensation manually, which seemed like a bit of a pain), that probably would have provided enough white noise to drown out the street sounds.
--the bedlinens and pillows were very cheap. We found this to be the case in almost every place we stayed in Nova Scotia and PEI, so perhaps those details aren't important to many travelers in the area, but we missed having high-quality cotton sheets and down pillows.

I do not think the innkeeper lives in the inn. When we arrived at about 4pm she was not there, though picking up a phone at the door dialed her automatically and she was very friendly and helpful. I'm not sure what would have happened if we needed something during the night, though we could have used the same phone to call her and I'm sure she would have helped us.

If you need a lot of service this is probably not the place for you, but I would stay there again as I found it to be a good value and appreciated the attention to many details that made for a really nice stay for us.

1  Thank TripsPlease