“Great small inn”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Overland Park
“Great small inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a real delight. Inn is in old house with old furnishing and feel. Had all the modern amenities. Inn is in downtown Charlottesville. The best part of stay was staff. Becka was there when we arrived and was exceptionally friendly and helpful. As this an old house it doesn't have elevators which would be problem if disabled. For others though would recommend highly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
fairholminnkeeper, Manager at Fairholm National Historic Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Fairholm does try to keep with the history of the house but offer you the general amenities we have come accustom to. Thank you for your kind words, I do love my job and PEI and want my guests to have the best possible experience possible while staying with us. We do hope that you will be able to return to visit with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Fairholm is a historical bed and breakfast/Inn with modern conveniences. My husband and I stayed in the Lucietia Starr suite. The inn is beautiful and tastefully restored. I felt as if I had stepped back in time.

Likes: Comfortable queen size bed, easy internet access, air-conditioning (it was very hot and humid while we were there and the air conditioning worked very well), spacious bedroom and bathroom and tub (for 2), nice toiletries (Aveda),very good breakfast, small ice machine and mini fridge down the hall. Good parking and easy access to downtown (walking distance to Victoria Row, waterfront and Confederation Centre for the Arts. Friendly staff. Very clean.

Dislikes: Door to the suite stuck (probably due to humidity and it's a very old place). Two towels and two pillows for two people (I don't count pillow shams as pillows). There was a TERRIBLE smell of trash outside the inn (probably trash on a hot day, it seemed not in keeping for the quality of the place).

Overall - very good, and I would definitely stay again without reservation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review of your stay with us. Glad that you enjoyed your stay and your room. We do try to give you a mix of the "old" with the "new" in our Inn. The weather was very humid for a couple of days and that did cause some problems with the garbage and we are currently looking into a new location to store the bins so as to not bother our guests. We all take pride in our jobs at Fairholm and it is always nice to hear that our guests feel we are doing a good job. We hope that you will return again and look forward to seeing you.
Haverhill,Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed 2 nights with family at this beautiful inn in Charlottetown. We had stayed there 4 years ago during an anniversary trip and wanted to return with family this year. We think the inn had changed hands as we didn't recognize the innkeeper as the one who had been there before. When we arrived she was in the yard and said hello, but we didn't know if was her until she followed us inside where she introduced herself. She showed us to our rooms and other than that we never saw her again until we were leaving. The rooms were just as beautiful as we remembered. We stayed in the Emsley suite which had a step down to where the bed was under a huge beautiful brick archway. The step down was adequately lit up with lights but it didn't stop both of us from tripping down so I would not recommend this particular room for an elderly person. The bathroom was lovely and modern. The room had air conditioning and a cute little stove fireplace. The breakfast was in a lovely dining room each morning with beautiful decor and many details, walls, ceiling etc. They were doing some renovating outside installing a stone pathway which made for a little bit of noise each day but it wasn't bad. The innkeeper actually did come into the dining room one morning and apologized for them starting too early. I love this inn or I wouldn't have come back. Its within walking distance to everything and a short 10 minute walk to the waterfront. That part was a little disappointing as there was alot of construction going on down there. Beautiful city, beautiful inn...

Room Tip: We had stayed last time in the suite on the top floor, although its the entire top floor and really...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review of your stay with us. We are currently doing some work to the yard and trying to make it as hassle free for our guests as possible. We are glad that you came back for a second time and do hope that you come back for a third visit. The step down to the bed in the Emslie is one that we do stress upon check in as it does blend right in with the floor.
Glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and your experience with us again and we do hope to see you again soon.
Whitsett, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Fairholm, in the beautiful Lucietia Starr suite, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. When first arriving at the front door, I was prompted by a sign to pick up the phone at the door in order to talk to the innkeeper and to check in. I did so and was promptly greeted by Rebecca, who very graciously welcomed me to Fairholm and showed me around the suite and Inn before handing the keys over to me (you're given a key to your room and a key to the front door, should you need to get in at night when the house is locked). She also prompted me to partake of freshly made lemon squares in the dining room, as well as help myself to tea if I so desired. If any rooms are vacant, the doors are left open and you're free to peek inside the beautifully restored rooms (some with pieces original to the house). Guests are provided with a common refrigerator, a book and DVD library, drinks, and a computer/WIFI. Upon waking up the next morning, I was greeted by the smell of breakfast cooking, almost as if I were visiting family. A full complimentary breakfast is served in the dining room from 8-10am and it is absolutely delicious and beautifully done. On the side board, a breakfast item is provided for those wishing to break their fast before receiving their full breakfast (one morning it was muffins, the next it was biscuits), as well as a choice of juice, coffee, and tea, in addition to two choice of delicious preserves. The tables are covered in white linens and there is real silverware and china on the tables. That first morning, I dined on homemade blueberry pancakes (the staff there come out periodically to see if anyone has sat down, and promptly take your order, giving you two options du jour to choose from), which were delicious. All breakfasts also come with a fresh bowl of fruit (melon, blackberries, kiwi, oranges, strawberries, etc.). The following morning provided a lovely plate of bacon and eggs, with the delicious, fresh fruit bowl. The warm June air blew in the open windows, fluttering the floor-length lace curtains, providing a very graceful, almost nostalgic feel to the very period room. Quiet music plays all of the time in this breakfast nook/parlor (or at least until midnight, when I vacated the parlor after reading for a while), and daily newspapers are provided to guests who wish to regale themselves of happenings in Charlottetown. You are free to come and go as you wish, so there is not that constant feeling of being watched or feeling like you constantly have to greet someone every time you enter and exit the house. The parking lot in the back is secure and easily accessible. In the bath, you are provided with lovely Aveda products, as well as a small trunk of towels. Even your toilet paper is folded into a triangle, adding to the luxurious ambiance. Screens are on the windows, and it's lovely to open them and feel the fresh air of the Island blow in and hear the sounds of the capital at its busy and quiet hours. The rooms are more spacious than the online pictures show, and are really cozy and make you feel like you're at home. Wine glasses and a bottle opener are also provided, should you make it to the Island liquor stores for the spirit of your choice. While here, I made sure I talked to the staff, who were Islanders, to learn about the area and places I should visit. Maps are available in the main hallway (which also acts as a lobby). Overall, my stay was spectacular and I loved every minute of it. The house was built around 1830, but its restoration was outstanding. I currently reside in a house that's almost 120 years old, so am used to creaking floors and sagging walls, but the Fairholm had none of this (thus the reasoning behind my compliments of their restoration crew). The interior was beautiful, and the exterior simple, yet elegant. I highly recommend that you stay here if you appreciate history, beautiful architecture, and a unique Inn experience. If you're looking for a place with character, wonderful ambiance, and excellent customer service, Fairholm Inn is the place to stay. Worth every penny, and then some.

Room Tip: All of the rooms I had the opportunity to glance at were beautiful. If you're looking for a mor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kfennell
fairholminnkeeper, Manager at Fairholm National Historic Inn, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you so much for you kind review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad that you got to take a look at some of the other rooms as well as they are all different in style yet equally beautiful. Having treats out for our guests is something that we enjoy doing and love to share our recipes with you....We are always happy to talk about the history of the house and PEI and share what we know.
We want you to feel at home when you stay with us and I believe that you got that feeling. We do hope that you will be able to come back to PEI and visit us again at Fairholm, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

As soon as I saw the Fairholme online, I knew we had to stay there. It was every bit as amazing and breathtaking as the photos show. The innkeeper Rebecca was wonderful, very pleasant, helpful, and quiet - we didn't hear a peep. The whole house was gorgeous, beautifully restored with many authentic Victorian details.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed only one night, and we already know that we will be back to stay in a different yet equally beautifully appointed room. Ha ha...we had the whole inn to ourselves and so with the innkeepers blessings, we could meander through the rooms and wonder at the work that was put into woodwork, restoration, design, and decor of this marvelous historic home! Ahhhh, then, add all the conveniences of 2013 very discreetly. Voila ...Masterpiece.
I would be remiss without mentionning our Inn Keeper, Rebecca. She is suited to a tee to be inn keeper...and she makes the job look easy with her casual yet quietly confident aura! Makes a mean veggie frittata too!
Oh.. and one block away from many dining choices for dinner! Even with a cane I could hobble that far and back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our niece got married at the Fairholme on Dec 29. The setting was beautiful as were our rooms.
Several of us were stranded in Charlottetown because of the snowstorm and Rebecca, the inn keeper, made us feel right at home.

Room Tip: All rooms unique in character and furnishings -there is no "bad' room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
fairholminnkeeper, Manager at Fairholm National Historic Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to play host to a wonderful wedding and great guests. We hope that you will return to stay with us again in the future. The weather did play a factor in your weekend but I am happy that we could provide shelter for those of you that needed to stay.
Thank you again and we do hope to see you again soon.