“Very friendly front desk staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Lower Malpeque Road, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 7J9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Charlottetown
Burlington, Canada
“Very friendly front desk staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed with 2 other friends on a trip to PEI. Chose this hotel because it was more economical than others in Charlottetown and hoped we wouldn't be burned by that fact. The staff was very friendly and efficient. I really enjoyed the outdoor pool; it was a little cool temperature-wise, but I don't really mind that, and it was nice to swim outside. The hot tub was luke warm at best however. Continental breakfast was pretty standard, but suited our needs just fine. The waffle station was a nice touch!

We had a "suite" as our room (a bedroom with 2 beds and a living room with a pull out couch.) This was nice because we could drive right up to our door and walk right into our room from the parking lot (room was to the left of the main entrance.) The room also included a kitchenette and a small table with chairs. It suited our needs, but the decor was very outdated; it reminded me of places I stayed as a child 20 years ago. The air conditioning units both chugged away 24/7, but not very effectively. Some of the room pictures here look nice and updated; I do hope they update the drive-up rooms at some point. They would be fantastic if they weren't so run down looking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We arrived on Monday, July 23rd and checked out today Thursday, July 26th. We paid $144/night plus taxes and tourism levy for a king sized bed with a 2 person jetted tub. There was a beer cap sitting on the ledge of the tub when we checked in - which made me question if the tub had been cleaned. The bed and pillows were soft and provided a good night sleep. The a/c sounded like it might die at any minute and even with ear plugs in woke us up one night as it dripped and the motor started chugging harder. There was a brick or vent sized hole in our floor that was carpeted over by the door. The floor was not even at all and I found myself tripping/rolling my ankles in the voids. The shower had no water pressure, which was strange considering the jetted tub did. The shower temperature varied depending on if your neighbors were using the water. It went from warm to cold to scalding without you moving the dial. Was not asked how the stay was when we checked out - figured they didn't want to know, so based on that I decided to write a review.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

miramichi in new brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

When I visited this historic hotel in PEI, I just expected one of the economical hotel.
What a surprise, however! The beds are really comfortable. As soon as I lied on the bed,
I fell down to sleep. It was a super comfortable bed. The hallways and lobby are clean.
Our bedroom is also spotlessly clean. In the morning, the breakfast was so nice. The breakfast items looked like those of luxury hotel's. They have yogurt and waffles,too. Even the staff was really nice. When I was sitting and eating on the breakfast area, he approched me and asked me if everything in my room and that breakfast area OK or not. What a nice experience I have in this hotel. I recommend this hotel 100 % when you go to PEI. I will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank FriendinMiramichi
Manitoulin Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Most hotels/motels/B 'n B's in Charlottetown are very pricey! After some hunting, we found this one & couldn't have been more pleased. The check in staff was friendly, courteous & more than helpful with tourist ideas & folklore. Our room was in the older section but it had been renovated & was clean..best of all...the bed was a dream. Breakfast had lots of options. Check out staff was more than helpful & informative.

Room Tip: North rear outside area had been renovated it was clean & quiet...ideal for us.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear drive830miami,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was very happy to hear about your experience interacting with our staff. We believe in a personal touch & a good night's sleep business and it's always nice to hear that we are delivering on what we believe in.

I wish you happy travels and if you are ever in the area again it would be our pleasure to host you.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was a little hesitant at first to book this hotel due to some of the reviews, however, it soon became obvious that they were far from accurate. My check-in was fast and the agent was friendly, the room was CLEAN and actually had more than I expected (microwave & mini-fridge), also had nice solid wood furniture, that I inquired about at the desk and was told it was made by an local woodworker. I really didn't know where to go for dinner and the agent took the time to not only recommend but also offered and made the reservation for me.

While having breakfast (which included hot waffles!!mmmm! Mamaqtuq as I would say in Inuktituit :) I was talking to some other guests who also were happy with the location of the hotel and the friendly staff.

There was plenty of space for my truck & trailer and also lots of green space where I could walk my dog Ishai. I would recommend this for those who want a central location to explore the Island and also get a lot for your money.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right of the hotel have a nice view of the creek
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear NunavutChick,

Thank you for your kind words. We are constantly trying to improve on our product and all comments help us to see what we need to focus on more. The one thing we need to ask is what could we have done to make your stay even better!

Thank you for taking the time to write us, and we hope to host you again sometime soon.

Parrsboro, Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The staff was not the friendliest but they did allow our hockey team to cancel room stays after the deadline because we stay here every year for this hockey tournament and will stay again. Wish there was more variety in the breakfast room and HOT coffee would be nice.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
CN437, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Hello Charlene,

Thank you for your comments. We are excited to hear that you are coming back next year and we will ensure we take this opportunity to make your stay right. We have listened to comments regarding our breakfast and have rolled out new items and also a dedicated staff to ensure efficient and comfortable service for all our valued guests. Looking forward to hosting you in Feb.

Kindest Regards,

Manager
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed at the Econo Lodge for 2 nights last July with my boyfriend. I had never been to PEI before and we were planning on camping, but the weather was forcasting some rain and it was the only weekend we able to go, so we decided to look for a hotel/motel to stay in. I had never stayed at an Econo Lodge before, but it was one of the only locations available last minute in July for PEI. July a busy time for PEI tourism!! We paid $310 for 2 nights taxes included. At the time I thought this was a decent deal, but now I have come to see how pricy it was, given that it's normally only about $80 per night. But you have to expect a jacked up price that time of the year, they do it becuase people like me end up paying it. It wasn't a great deal, but it was to be expected.

The room: The room was basic. Queen size bed, cable TV, dresser, mini fridge, coffee maker, tables with 2 seats, air-conditioner and bathroom with tub. The decor was dated, but not too worn. The air conditioning was nice and cold, adjustable to the temperature you preferred. The fridge worked well, as did the coffee maker. The bathroom, as with the room, was very clean. I inspected the place to see if there were any hairs left hanging around, but I couldn't find one!The tray under the coffee maker had stained rings on it, not sure why they couldn't just change it out for another one, would have looked much nicer and cleaner. I was impressed with the cleaniness and satisfied with the room overall. It wasn't fancy, but it was comfortable and large enough for the two of us.

Breakfast: You were entitled to a continential breakfast each morning. It was not great. There were fruits, toast & jams, bagels, yogurt, coffee, milk, juice, and a waffle maker. It was often very busy in the small breakfast area. Hard to find a place to sit, some people were standing. A larger room is needed for the summer months, though I don't believe they have the space. Often things ran out and were hard to get. The juice went down quickly, as well as, the milk, and the mixed waffle batter. There was always a line to get some breakfast and it was disapppointing to wait in line only to find out all the things you wanted were empty. I am not a complainer, I was happy to be there regardless.

Staff: Staff always cleaned the room & made the beds to an acceptable standard. The front desk clerks were not very friendly and didn't seem as though they cared you were there. When we arrived they were having computer problems, so I had to sign a paper with my Visa number for accidentials. It was informal, but there wasn't much else they could do, given they were having problems with the computers. Upon checkout I wasn't asked how the stay was or what I thought. They simply swiped my card and handed me the reciept. It was the same man working both when I check-in and out. He didn't smile and didn't seem friendly at all. Could have at least thanked me, since I did over pay for what I recieved no doubt. My boyfriend said it seemed as if the staff were, "all depressed." Can't say they were NOT helpful, since I never asked for anything.

Pool: They had a nice medium sized outdoor pool. We only swam in it once, but it was clean and refreshing. They also had a hot tub, but it was broken during our stay. While we were swimming, someone was attempting to fix the hot tub, so it wasn't going unnoticed.

Overall, our stay was good!! We didn't spend much time in your room anyway, it was just a place to shower and sleep. I left thinking I would return, but since then I have been to a Holiday Inn Express and enjoyed my stay there much better. Their staff was much friendlier and they served a hot breakfast which was nice. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone travelling in the off season and looking for a place to stay for a decent price, during the summer it is probably not your best choice.

E-mail me if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to answer them for you! :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela321xo
CN437, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Angela,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased to hear about the quality of our housekeeping staff, and will make sure they see this review also.

We have since implemented a dedicated staff member to the breakfast area in the mornings to facilitate in re-stocking and efficient cleaning of tables to ensure an efficient and comfortable breakfast.

I would like to take the time now to say Thank You! I was disappointed to hear of your experience while checking out, but thank you for your business and your feedback to help us improve in the future.