WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Parrsboro, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Charlene”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

The staff was not the friendliest but they did allow our hockey team to cancel room stays after the deadline because we stay here every year for this hockey tournament and will stay again. Wish there was more variety in the breakfast room and HOT coffee would be nice.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
CN437, Manager at Queens Arms Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Hello Charlene,

Thank you for your comments. We are excited to hear that you are coming back next year and we will ensure we take this opportunity to make your stay right. We have listened to comments regarding our breakfast and have rolled out new items and also a dedicated staff to ensure efficient and comfortable service for all our valued guests. Looking forward to hosting you in Feb.

Kindest Regards,

Brody Lambe
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed at the Econo Lodge for 2 nights last July with my boyfriend. I had never been to PEI before and we were planning on camping, but the weather was forcasting some rain and it was the only weekend we able to go, so we decided to look for a hotel/motel to stay in. I had never stayed at an Econo Lodge before, but it was one of the only locations available last minute in July for PEI. July a busy time for PEI tourism!! We paid $310 for 2 nights taxes included. At the time I thought this was a decent deal, but now I have come to see how pricy it was, given that it's normally only about $80 per night. But you have to expect a jacked up price that time of the year, they do it becuase people like me end up paying it. It wasn't a great deal, but it was to be expected.

The room: The room was basic. Queen size bed, cable TV, dresser, mini fridge, coffee maker, tables with 2 seats, air-conditioner and bathroom with tub. The decor was dated, but not too worn. The air conditioning was nice and cold, adjustable to the temperature you preferred. The fridge worked well, as did the coffee maker. The bathroom, as with the room, was very clean. I inspected the place to see if there were any hairs left hanging around, but I couldn't find one!The tray under the coffee maker had stained rings on it, not sure why they couldn't just change it out for another one, would have looked much nicer and cleaner. I was impressed with the cleaniness and satisfied with the room overall. It wasn't fancy, but it was comfortable and large enough for the two of us.

Breakfast: You were entitled to a continential breakfast each morning. It was not great. There were fruits, toast & jams, bagels, yogurt, coffee, milk, juice, and a waffle maker. It was often very busy in the small breakfast area. Hard to find a place to sit, some people were standing. A larger room is needed for the summer months, though I don't believe they have the space. Often things ran out and were hard to get. The juice went down quickly, as well as, the milk, and the mixed waffle batter. There was always a line to get some breakfast and it was disapppointing to wait in line only to find out all the things you wanted were empty. I am not a complainer, I was happy to be there regardless.

Staff: Staff always cleaned the room & made the beds to an acceptable standard. The front desk clerks were not very friendly and didn't seem as though they cared you were there. When we arrived they were having computer problems, so I had to sign a paper with my Visa number for accidentials. It was informal, but there wasn't much else they could do, given they were having problems with the computers. Upon checkout I wasn't asked how the stay was or what I thought. They simply swiped my card and handed me the reciept. It was the same man working both when I check-in and out. He didn't smile and didn't seem friendly at all. Could have at least thanked me, since I did over pay for what I recieved no doubt. My boyfriend said it seemed as if the staff were, "all depressed." Can't say they were NOT helpful, since I never asked for anything.

Pool: They had a nice medium sized outdoor pool. We only swam in it once, but it was clean and refreshing. They also had a hot tub, but it was broken during our stay. While we were swimming, someone was attempting to fix the hot tub, so it wasn't going unnoticed.

Overall, our stay was good!! We didn't spend much time in your room anyway, it was just a place to shower and sleep. I left thinking I would return, but since then I have been to a Holiday Inn Express and enjoyed my stay there much better. Their staff was much friendlier and they served a hot breakfast which was nice. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone travelling in the off season and looking for a place to stay for a decent price, during the summer it is probably not your best choice.

E-mail me if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to answer them for you! :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Angela321xo
CN437, Manager at Queens Arms Inn, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Angela,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased to hear about the quality of our housekeeping staff, and will make sure they see this review also.

We have since implemented a dedicated staff member to the breakfast area in the mornings to facilitate in re-stocking and efficient cleaning of tables to ensure an efficient and comfortable breakfast.

I would like to take the time now to say Thank You! I was disappointed to hear of your experience while checking out, but thank you for your business and your feedback to help us improve in the future.

Kindest regards,

Brody Lambe
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

NOT IMPRESSES-WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL IN ANY WAY!! Rented this hotel for 1 month (which was paid in full up front) & asked to extend the stay for 2 more days to attend a graduation and asked if it was OK to have breakfast because we didn't have a lot of food in for our last 2 days. Desk clerk gave a price which was promptly paid and said we could come for breakfast. We went out & came to our room to find the key did not work. Manager said we had to pay more to stay there because the desk clerk was not authorized to give us the price he did. We were told that we had breakfast & weren't allowed to (advertised as breakfast included) & they could charge us $10 each. The owner (I think) saw us at breakfast & didn't say anything about breakfast then. How are we responsible to know what the desk clerk can & cannot offer? Not our fault..if the employees in an establishment are dishonest the company should suck it up. The manager would not give us a receipt for our payment as he said "I won't give a receipt for money that I didn't collect". They would not give back a cheque for $1000 (payable to the owner personally) that was put down for a damage deposit. Called the owner, who yelled at me and threatened to evict me. She said I should know that breakfast isn't included in monthly rentals (how would I know this, by osmosis? Plus we asked-it was the first time we had breakfast). She hung up on me too. My guess is that they are cash strapped…since we were all paid up in a hotel that advertises "free breakfast" who would make such a big deal about the breakfast? Really? This is off season in PEI and the hotel had very few customers in it. There's more, but it would take pages to explain. Since both the Manager & Owner yelled at me when I did not raise my voice and neither one would let me get a word in edgewise or listen to me, I could not recommend this hotel in any way. It ruined our stay in PEI and was the last memory of PEI. MANAGEMENT NEEDS CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING AND LISTENING SKILLS!

Room Tip: A room got robbed of a TV while we were there. Hotel owner demanded to know why we didn't call...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
5 Thank Jo-Ann L

Travelers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

Toronto, ON Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

The wireless internet signal cannot reach my room at the basement, but the connection is ok at the lobby / breakfast area. The staff knows about this but shows no interest in getting it fixed. The building is old (though not that terribly old), and the maintenance is apparently very stretched. The odour at the corridor and the room is quite unpleasant, but is still tolerable. But this motel offers a few rooms with 3 double beds - at the price same as regular rooms! The Breakfast area has quite a few tables - plus a patio, but the variety and quality is quite limited.

1 Thank Snowbird888
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Nice Personal.
We spent there 7 days in this hotel and it was great vacation in PEI! We will come back!

Regards Zinchuk Family
Thanks Mike and to George with Georgina!

halifax, ns
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

My family and I stayed in 2 rooms at the Econo Lodge in Charlottetown PEI on Aug 18 , 2011 and all I can say is DON'T STAY HERE! It was impossible to get any sleep in either room because of how thin the walls are, you can even hear other people flush their toilets!! The pipes are so loud, and people on the floor above us were not partying but talking at normal room voice and I could make out most of their conversation from our room. Its ridiculous how un-soundproofed this hotel is. I have sent several emails to the hotel directly and to the head office with no response from anyone, not even a sorry for your inconvenience. If you are travelling with your family and looking for a hotel to sleep in, this is not the one for you.

1 Thank NancyfromNS
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

We wound up at the Econo Lodge after our vehicle broke down. The staff were beyond helpful. The first room we had was similar to what is described --older but Super CLEAN. In their defence it was the last room they had --they rent out the more updated ones first--SO BOOK EARLY . The second room which they moved us to as soon as they had one was great. Updated.. REALLY CLEAN. Great matresses... now onto the important part. The staff couldn't have been better. Everyone smiled, checked in with us... helped us with every small need... they WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND for us! If you want to understand what PEI is about and what Island hospitality is GIVE THEM A TRY. They took a stranded family under their wing and made us feel like we were home. The folks on the desk were helpful, obliging and helped us figure out a rental car on a Sunday when everything was closed. The cleaning staff found my daughters IPOD touch and made sure she got it back. The pool guys fixed were friendly, personable and kept the pool perfectly balanced, krystal clear and CLEAN. The outdoor HEATED pool is heated and during our stay was 90 degrees.. no kidding .. it was bathtub hot. They are pet friendly! It was such a relaxed atmosphere I felt like I was staying at a friends cottage. They are not the newest most uptodate but they are definately VALUE for the price. The folks who put out the breakfast in the morning were attentive and hovered to make sure nothing ran out and folks were getting what they needed! When was the last time you went somewhere where the people seemed to all care about you... all of them. CUSTOMER SERVICE is important! Newer might be nice but Customer Service goes a long way. Give them a try. Book early.. stay in the main lodge. :)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottetown
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Cornwall
Brackley Beach North Winds
Brackley Beach North Winds
#1 of 2 in Brackley Beach

Been to Queens Arms Inn? Share your experiences!