“Blankets”

Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My sisters and I stayed at this hotel this past Friday . The room itself was nice, but was very disappointed with the blankets on the bed. When it was time to go to bed, I pulled down the bedspread and noticed a few black spots. After looking at them I found out that it was black woollies on the blanket. I thought that since I brought a lint remover roller, that I would remove them , and when I did start to roll it , I looked at the roller sheet and there were big long hairs all over it. Every time I rolled it there was more and more hairs on it . I was totally disgusted. The blanket was so thin that you could just about see through it. It was so old.
If I had one of these blankets at home , it would have gone to the garbage. My sister was going to sleep in the other bed , so I decided to look at her blanket. She had a newer type blanket on her bed , but when I looked at it , it was full of holes. These are rooms that were suppose to be renovated .
I wouldn't dare pull the blanket up over me , just slept with the top sheet.
The bathroom was very small and was in the shape of an L . It was very hard to get in there. Thank God I wasn't a big person. There was a couple of hairs on the tub, and the toilet didn't flush properly. Every time you flushed , you had to take the tank cover off and fix the ball inside. It was quite the experience , let me tell you. One other thing is that it was really cold in there , drafty!!
When we checked out I told the lady at the desk about the blankets and toilet, but she didn't really do any thing for us. I thought she may have reduced the bill or offered us another stay sometime , but in another room. Maybe one that was a little more updated. Don't know what the others are like but I wasn't really impressed . We have stayed at other hotels on the Island , and this one had to be the worst !!!! The only good things are that it had a big kitchen and had a sofa bed in the room. Don't plan on staying there again anytime soon !!!!

Room Tip: Should check the blankets on the bed and the bathroom for hairs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

I am sorry your stay with us was not as enjoyable and up to your standards. I do however want to thank you for bringing this to my attention so I can take the steps to fix this so other guests will have the same complaint. I have instructed my head housekeeper to check all room blankets and have asked maintenance to see about the draft. I have also instructed my front Desk Staff to print of guest folios and set on my desk if there was any issue with the room or service at all.
Again, my apologies on your stay and I do hope that on your next visit to PEI, drop by and I will
personally ensure all is to your satisfaction.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I failed to follow the advice of the last reviewer and ask for a room away from the restraunt and the noisy dumpsters. I was awoke at 5:30 in the morning to the sound of dumpsters being emptied next to the restraunt. I was expecting noise when I saw they were doing construction but the sad part was the noice wasnt from that,clearly no one got the message that this is a hotel and people go there to sleep,if I paid a vender to perform a service they would do it on my terms,guess not here"buyer beware". That being said they do offer a great price and the rooms are nice too bad the problem with the noise cant be resolved. Someone is asleep at the switch but its not the customers at this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Again, I am sorry this has happened and we have now have measures in place to ensure this does not happen again. I regret your experience with us was not good and do hope you will give us a second chance to show that we have taken action and this company will not be picking up till after 10am. I was pleased to see that our location, cleanliness and value was up there.
Again I am sorry on you being disturbed.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The dumpsters for the restaurant are right at you window so when the truck comes to empty them at 4am its like a series of bombs going off for several minutes. We had a lot of driving on very little sleep. This hotel dosent seam to want to do anything to fix the problem. Why not just have the truck come later in the morning,this is supposed to be a hotel with people sleeping right?;

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the dumpsters
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

I am sorry to hear your experience with us was not pleasant due to noise factor. I was unaware of how early they came and I agree with you 100% and am in the process of changing the schedule to a later time. I even contacted the companies behind us to get their schedules so I can do the same there. I hope to have this changed immediately and I thank you for bringing it to our attention as I am sure future guests will be thankful also. I do hope everything else was to your satisfaction and you give us a second chance.
Again my apologies for your night.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel, and although it is rather small, dark and musty smelling in the room, the sheets were clean and the breakfast was good. The price is reasonable for a budget stay on PEI, but would probably most likely book a different location in the future. The price for the taxi from the airport to the hotel was $15.00 for the two of us, and cost $9.00 for taxi back to the airport from downtown Charlottetown.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments on your recent stay with us.
Our double traditional guestrooms are clean but they are smaller than our spacious queen rooms which have their own patio and beautyrest mattresses which get quite a few compliments on what good nights sleep they got. I will have to look into the costs of cab fare but I imagine our spot is within city limits which is why it was cheaper to go right downtown our hotel even thou we are closer to the airport.
Hopefully on your next trip to PEI you will look us up and give our queen rooms a try.
Again, thanks for taking the time to add your comments.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked two rooms about 2 weeks prior to traveling to C'town. One room was ready when we arrived from the ferry around 1 pm and the other about 15 minutes later. All of us were happy with the rooms. The breakfast items were more generous than I expected. There was free wi-fi. The location was convenient for the shows we were attending. I liked the chatty person who checked us in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments on your recent stay with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us from your check in to our rooms to breakfast.
We do try to have all of our arrival rooms ready as soon as possible so we can accommodate you.
Hopefully we will see you again on your next visit to Charlottetown.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

If you're looking for fancy, this is not the place for you. If you're looking for clean and quiet with your basic essentials for a fraction of the price of other Charlottetown hotels, then make your reservation now. I waited too long and almost didn't a room but thanks to a determined "Shelagh", I got a room for 2 nights. I prefer a room along the front of the hotel but I couldn't be fussy so I took a room in the back. The back is nice and quiet but if you have kids who will be swimming in the pool, you can see them from your room if you're in the front. The beds are decent...not the best, nowhere near the worst I've ever slept in either. We didn't hear any sounds from other rooms.....walls aren't thin like some places. Walk out your door and over a small hill and you're at Walmart, Gap, Old Navy, Shoe Company and many other big retail stores....and just a bit further is a Tim Hortons for those who love their coffee.on the other side (5 min walk) Canadian Tire, Superstore......great location!!!! We were just under an hour from Shining Waters and 15 minutes from Rise and Climb.....Breakfast is free and has lots of options....tea coffee, juice, make your own waffle, toast, bagels, cereal, fruit, muffins. The staff here is always friendly and accommodating. This is my first choice when staying in PEI. If you want the negative, you can scan the rooms (mine anyway) and see unpainted, unfinished trim, some caulking had split away from the tub/floor....things that really don't bother me a bit....I have that in my own house!!! lol The front rooms seemed newer to me and they have both a front entrance and a back (the back has a little patio area with a table and chairs. We paid $99/night incld breakfast and parking, wifi, etc. The pool is very clean. They have chairs and loungers around the pool and a large container of towels as well. I'm not sure what the pet/smoking policy is but I didn't smell any smoke and saw no sign of pet hair in my room (I mention that because both would bother me). We left behind a child's golf set ($4.00, very cheap) and they called after check out to let us know.....This is a great little place....give it a shot!! :)

Room Tip: Get a room in the front if you're social or have kids using the pool. Take the back if you want...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BoulevardBiker

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments on your recent stay with us. I am glad your overall experience with us was good and you enjoyed your accommodations as well as breakfast. you are correct in that the front queen rooms are more spacious and have a great view of the pool to keep an eye on things. We are also always touching up rooms and now that fall is here will be concentrating on minor upkeep such as painting, repairs etc that some of our rooms may need.
Our location is a big drawing card as we are right in the shopping area and yes Tim / Robbin lovers...we have a store on each side of us.
Again thank you for your comments and I hope to see you next trip to PEI

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked this hotel two weeks in advance based on both the price and the photos. When we arrived we began to see signs of "old" and not very clean. We read that check-in was 2 o'clock but when we Arrived we the lady at the desk walkie tallied someone to find out if our room was ready...not even close. We were told at 3:45 that it would be another 10 minutes...we drove around back to our room and the cleaners were just going inside...hope clean up usually takes longer than 10 minutes. When we were able to enter my stomach turned...stains on the mattress, floor and a dinginess that turned my stomach...there was no way my family was staying here. We passed in our keys and the lady at the desk didn't even ask why. which lead me to. believe this wasn't the first time this happened. Lesson learned...don't believe what you see in pictures because they can be VERY deceiving. Thankfully a very reputable and clean hotel was available down the road...had to pay more but quality was excellent and very much worth the difference! JD...Cape Breton

Room Tip: Ask someone you know and trust for a good place to stay...never rely on the photos!
Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I am sorry our motel was not what you expected when you arrived. I know it can be very tiring to arrive at your destination to find out you have to wait again. We did have a high turnover in check-outs the last couple of week-ends with 80% departures so I do apologize as the housekeepers were running a little behind on having the rooms 100% completed by 2:00pm . We are actually in process of having the time changed on website so future guests should not have any delays at check-in. We have been getting quite a few compliments on our back rooms with the new comforters and curtains & especially with the walkway added and the lawn at the bottom end. I have advised my staff that if a guest decides they want to go elsewhere and it is still early in the afternoon, I would not hold them to staying here. Usually when we have larger rooms or different styles of room to show you, would offer this, but unfortunately we have been sold out and were not able to offer this to you.
Again, my apologies and we invite you to visit us on your next trip to Charlottetown and have a look at our Queen upgraded rooms.