“Worst room I ever stayed in”

Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The room was old, bed boards had chipped off paint, the washroom ceiling had mold, the tv looked like its about 30 years old, same as other appliances. The towels had stains on them. The only nice thing was the breakfast with make your own waffles. Summary - the price is low, but for the same pice I stayed in a motel in PEI, that was like 5 star hotel compared to this place. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone, and will never go myself again. They might have other renovated rooms that are in better shape, but the one we stayed in- I would be ashamed to rent to anyone a room like that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

I am sorry your room was not up to your standards. It has been a major ongoing task for our owners updating the rooms since they took over. They are still in process of changes and unfortunately some of updates were put on hold due to the demands of our summer season. I have spoken to our housekeeping and maintenance departments thou as clean linen and marks on walls or ceiling is a top piroity with us. I spoke with all staff and daily inspections are now done on all rooms to ensure this does not happen again.

There are newer reviews for Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The first problem we saw was the door step wood rotted out. The interior wall was plastered and not painted,a screw missing from night latch on door. When looking at the 2 double beds only one had a headboard. The frig was old and had to lift door to close it. When entering the bathroom you could see mould on the lower tiles at floor level. Outside there was only 1 chair for each room also one chair in the room. To sum it up including the t.v. everything was ancient. When I complained at the front desk the answer was you got what you paid for .

Room Tip: I heard the renovated rooms were better but when making reservations I was not told this.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I am sorry your stay with us was not a pleasant experience for you. I do note all your issues and have sent our maintenance department to take care of them. We are also having the department check all rooms to see if there is maintenance issue and to have them fixed as soon as possible. I do hope if you make it back to PEI, you will look us up too see our deluxe Queen Rooms or maybe even one of our Jacuzzi Suites would be a nice treat. All these rooms have their own personal patio with table and chairs. Again, Thank you for bringing to our attention so we can have fixed.
Nancy Leslie manager

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here two nights along with other family members who also rented a room for two nights. Our first night was perfect but our second night was horrible with us only getting a couple of hours of sleep due to a dog in the room next to us. The dog started barking non-stop at around 5pm and didn't stop until about 2-3am in the morning. We called the front desk at midnight to complain. The clerk said they would call the room next to us. The dog did not stop so at about 1:30am in the morning, we called the front desk again and they said nobody answered the phone. When we checked out, we again expressed our dissatisfaction, but the clerk just responded with, "I'm sorry, there is nothing we could do." I don't feel we should have had to pay full price for a second night. I feel, the guest with the non-stop barking dog should have been held accountable for our second night bill. We enjoy travelling to Charlottetown, but for future stays, we will look elsewhere for accomodations. Very poor customer service!

5  Thank ace218

I am sorry your 2nd night with us was not as enjoyable as your first night. Unfortunately our hands are tied when it comes to entering an occupied room . The clerk tried to reach the guest by phone and going there but no response. The day clerk did not bring it to my attention at all as she thought she had resloved it upon checkout and was really surprised to read comment here. I have implemented a new policy where I will hear about any concerns and can contact the guest myself to see if all has been resolved to satisfaction. I do hope you will give us another chance on your next visit to PEI. We will ensure your neighbors are pet free so this does not happen again.

Nancy Leslie Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were amazed with this motel. We have stayed at many motels and have paid alot more money for rooms that were not as good. "Dont let the low price fool you". The check in was very easy and fast. The gentleman on the front desk was great to deal with and was very good at giving us all the info we needed about the motel and the area. He recomended that we visit the Jug down stairs and we can say that the service there was great! The chef needs to be commended as the Steak was second to none. And you cant beat the new PEI baked potatoes. The breakfast which is included in the room rate is well stocked and the fresh walfles is a real bonus. The room we stayed in was in the second building across from the outdoor pool. The room was a good size and had two double beds that would be rated 8 / 10 for comfort but 10 / 10 for being clean . The room was well equiped with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was very clean and the housekeeping staff done a very great job cleaning our room and restocking with fresh towels. The third night our AC stopped working and after a qick call to the front desk within 5 mins the gentleman arrived to fix it for us. We could not beleive how quick he got there as it was after 8:00 pm and to our surprise we found out not only are they covered 24 hrs a day the had a spare AC on the shelf. The new AC was installed and mess cleaned up before we knew it. The same repair man made a point to come back the next day to make sure we were comfortable in our room. The grounds and the pool are well kept 10 / 10 and is the only place we have ever stayed and seen a person going around picking up the cigarettes butts off the grounds We decided that we would like to stay an extra night and the lady on the front desk arranged it for us with a smile. On our last night our children were in the pool and when it came time to close we were told that because it was our last night the pool could stay open for an extra 30 mins. The check out was really quick and the gal on the front desk thanked us for staying with them. The staff are well trained and made us feel right at home. Thank you and we will stay at your motel during our next visit to PEI.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to put your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us and also I am very pleased to hear your comments about the staff. I try to stress the importance of guest satisfaction and cleaniness. I am also glad our Pub is getting good review as sometimes it is overlooked. I thank you again for your review and I will be sure to pass onto staff on
on job well done.
I hope to see you back in our area soon.
Nancy Leslie

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here on a priceline deal for $65/night before taxes and fees. Everything in PEI is pretty expensive so for this price i didnt expect too much. The room was decent and pretty clean. The bathroom was clean but needed a little updating. The room came with a hair dryer, microwave and fridge which was a nice surprise although the fridge looked a little worn. The location was pretty good because we wanted to be near charlottetown and cavendish so this was kinda in the middle and the airport is about a 10 min drive away. The A/C unit was cold and i was worried that when we closed the blinds it would cover the unit but it was fine in the end. They have an outdoor pool with pool towels (we took some of these to the beach). There is also free breakfast (cereals, toast, bagels, waffle maker, muffins) which was nice. The front staff were very helpful and recommended areas for us to see and gave us directions to where we needed to go. Its walking distance to a walmart and some other stores near by. Overall the rooms need an updating but it was clean and cheap and had things like hairdryers and microwaves that were a nice surprise. I recommend it to a budget traveller but next time i will probably pay a little more and find another place to stay.

Room Tip: we stayed in the detached rooms near the back and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank giddygal19
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for adding your comments on your recent stay with us. Our rooms in the Garden Centre Have gotton updates since being taken over by new owners 2 years agao but not to the extend as our rooms in our Queen Section. Should you be back in our area, look us up and I will show you the changes made where more spacious, own personal patio, and new furniture. We have gotton quite a few excellent reviews as to our location and value/service. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope you will giver our other rooms a try for your next visit. Maybe you can even treat yourselves in one our Jacuzzi Suites with a King Bed.

Nancy Leslie
Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I would not have chosen this hotel but for the good reviews I read here. While we had an OK experience, there were several areas worth mentioning. The training seems to be lacking and management philosophy seems not to be customer oriented. Most everybody we met in PEI was friendly and welcoming, but the woman at the front desk of this hotel was 1) unable to do more than one task at a time, 2) slow, 3) rude and argumentative, and 4) unapologetic for it. While checking out she answered the phone and stopped checking me out. (I have noticed that essentially all other hospitality people can do both simultaneously). She informed the person on the phone that they had no vacancy, but stayed on the line talking to them for over 2 minutes repeating that she had no rooms available. When she got off, I told her that I have been waiting a long time. Her response: “NO YOU HAVEN’T”. Not the response of a service oriented person I expected. What is ironic is that if she had continued to process my checkout, since I was leaving a day early (7 versus 8 nights), she would have had the vacancy needed for the other customer on the phone!

On two occasions housekeeping failed to replenish shampoos, coffee, or facial tissues. Going to the office and requesting these items got a response from her more as if she was doing a special request for us rather than making up for inadequate housekeeping services. There was no recognition of the imposition to which I was subjected. All she had to do was walk 10 steps and then hand the items to me. Instead I had to wait 10 minutes for her to check the next person in line, even though I was there first.

Breakfast was a continental breakfast of breads, waffles, & cereals and fell short of items offered at Comfort Inns, for example. There was no protein and no yogurt. Most days had fruit, but not always. But what I found inexcusable were the small coffee pots which emptied after only a few minutes. This happened most days. This reflects another example of the management not putting the customer first, again.

In the “renovated” rooms, there was only 1 foot of space at the foot of one bed leading to the bathroom. It was difficult to negotiate your way through it in the middle of the night and a suitcase certainly could not be rolled through that small space. The adjustable shower head did not adjust, so the water stream was too forceful and too directed. The toilet leaked on the floor. The TVs were new flat screens, but we couldn’t get reception on the low numbered channels every single evening until about 9. This might have been a Cable issue and not the hotel’s, but it was aggravating nonetheless. I would not recommend this hotel to any friend of mine and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald K
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

I am sorry your experience with us was not as pleasant as you hoped. Customer Service is
very important to us and I have addressed alot of your concerns with the proper departments. . I spoke to the clerk in question to advise that customers at the counter do have to be acknowledged right away and always in a positive manner. I now have a daily meeting with my head housekeeper as to any issues from the previous day, one being customers having to come to the desk for supplies. We also now have daily checks on rooms to ensure they are cleaned and stocked the proper way.We have also looked at the breakfast area and I do realize that it can be quite hectic especially if we get a group that comes in at once and drains alot of our supplies. We now have a girl come in earlier to deal with this issue. We are also looking at in the fall to maybe have a better layout in a couple of our rooms so it will give the cusomer more space. Our queen rooms usually get alot of compliments. Again I am very sorry your experience was not a positive one but I do appreciate you took the time to notify us so we can implement changes to better ourselves with our customers. I do hope if you are in our area again you will give us a second chance. Nancy Leslie Manager

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were a little apprehensive as this was the only place we could book last minute at a reasonable rate. The staff were very friendly and welcoming on arrival and the process was smooth. The room was ok - it was clean but very dated. The beds are very hard and not comfortable. Thankfully we were only staying there the one night so it was ok. It is fairly convenient to the downtown area however you definitely need to drive to get there. They were obviously understaffed in the morning as the supplies for the "free" breakfast were not replenished very well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn W
Nancy L, Manager at Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thank you for your adding your comments for your recent stay with us. On your next visit you will have to try one of our Classic Guestrooms as they have new beautyrest mattresses and we do get quite a few comments on what a good night's sleep they have had. The are also more spacious and do have own personal patio to enjoy warm summer evenings. Our Breakfast area can at times be quite busy and staffing can be a issue as when we bring in extra, our guests seem to spread themselves out to eat or if we are short seems all arrive at once.
We are trying new ways to improve the flow and keeping all up to date.
Again, I thank you for your comments and hope on your next visit to PEI, you will look us up.

Nancy L.