“Good food at decent prices.”

Top of the Park Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 254 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Interested in one-of-a-kind dining? Enjoy a dining experience that can only be found at the TOP OF THE PARK Restaurant, overlooking the Charlottetown Driving Park. Our three-tiered dining room offers a spectacular view from any table. Dining Experience Manager Sean Furlong and his culinary team always bring a positive, upbeat attitude, and an eagerness to promote local and fresh cuisine! The Red Shores culinary team has been presented with such awards as best Dessert & Local dish at Food & Wine Savor, Taste our Island Award, & best PEI Ribs, to name a few.
Charlottetown, PE
“Good food at decent prices.”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

It always hot and good. Even better if you want to watch the races. We always enjoy coming here, and it has handicap access and seating which is great.

Stoneham, Massachusetts
“Best buffet we have ever been too”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husbands loves buffets, but I do not. I usually have a hard time finding something that I like well enough to waste by calories on. We both prefer to have our main meal at night. That being said, we went to the lunch buffet (11:30 - 1:30) at Top of the Park Restaurant 7 times during our recent 4 week stay in PEI. It would have been 8 but we didn't discover it until the end of our first week there. It would have been more times, but they only serve the lunch buffet on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. We went every Wednesday and Friday the last three weeks we were there.

Not a huge meat eater, it can be a problem for me to find something I like on a menu. While I love sandwiches my husband would prefer not to have a sandwich as his main meal. We prefer not to spend more than $50.00 on a meal since we are away at least 75 nights a year. So we often have a difficult time finding a satisfactory restaurant. We were delighted when we found this incredible buffet for only $13.95.

I was amazed at the quality of the food. I have never had such consistently good food at a buffet.
I usually end up having lots of salad at a buffet but not at this one. I had the salad only once and it was excellent, with a bowl of fresh greens and LOTs of other bowls with a wide variety of things to put on your salad. Instead of the salad, I had lots of vegetables. Every day there was a medley of fresh vegetables. It always had broccoli and cauliflower, beets, carrots, some type of beans. A couple of times it had pieces of ears of corn which were very tasty. Every day there was also a different second vegetable such as roasted root vegetables, fried zucchini, a mixture of pumpkin, sweet potato, and squash baked with maple syrup--they were all good but this was my favorite.

Every day there were mashed potatoes, some type of rice, and some type of homemade potato chips.

Every day there was one carved meat. On the days we were there it was either beef, ham, or pork. They served a variety of condiments with the meats. There were then several hot dishes. There was always either salmon or haddock which were always served in a different sauce. I like salmon and some days had more that $13.95 worth of just the salmon alone. They usually had either chicken wings or legs in some type of sauce. A couple of times they had pork ribs which my husbands says were the best he has ever eaten. I felt the same way about a beef dish they served. It was like a pot roast and I, the rare beef eater, thought it was scrumptious.

There were always a couple of delicious looking casseroles. The first day we were there I did try one and it was delicious but unfortunately full of calories, which is why I try to avoid casseroles and can not give more details on them.

Every day there was soup which I can not comment on because I am not a soup eater.

And there were roles -- as many as I wanted! After being in restaurants in Newfoundland for almost four weeks and being in PEI restaurants for one week, it was a wonderful sight to see all those rolls. The restaurants in Newfoundland thought I was nuts when I asked for a roll or a piece of bread to have with my salad. If the restaurants had rolls, we had to pay extra for them. At least in PEI if you ask, you can usually get at least a piece of bread. We have also had pay for rolls in PEI restaurants. The rolls at the Top of the Park were not the best I have ever had but they were quite acceptable.

Finally there were the desserts. I find that the desserts at most restaurants are not good. Not so at the Top of the Park. They all seemed to be homemake and delicious. And they did not have the same desserts every day. The homemake cookies were outstanding. My favorite were the huge chocolate chip ones. My husband thought the chocolate ones among the best he has had. There were always 3 kinds of pies, two bread pudding or apple crisp type desserts, bars, fudge, no sugar desserts, and gluten free desserts.

Another thing that made this very special for us was our waitress, MIki. We asked for her very time because she gave us exceptional service and was very friendly and helpful.

We have been coming to PEI since 1998. We heard of this restaurant a few years ago, but hesitated to try it because it is located at a race trace and because it is a lunch buffet. First of all it is a gorgeous setting. The huge room is three-tiered with all windows to see the race track. As we were eating we could see the jockeys exercising their horses on the track. We loved the location. Secondly, we ate so much at the buffet that we did not need another meal later on.

We will be back twice a week next year.

I forgot to mention that a beverage comes with this Incredible buffet -- coffee, tea, soda. You could have as many refills as you wanted. There is also a buffet on Thursday night for $18.95 and one on Fridays and Saturdays for $24.95.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank bcnett
Charlottetown, Canada
“Great Place”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nice place to go for a fancy buffet! Prices are better for lunch than for dinner and the food is delicious!

Visited May 2013
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Amazing dining experience. We enjoyed the vast selections in the buffet. Delicious desserts to sample, perfect experience bar none

• Visited June 2012
Charlottetown, Canada
“Great Variety”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The buffet has a great variety and everything is cooked to perfection as well if you go on raceday top notch entertainment i will be back it was great

Visited November 2012