“The Perfect Location from which to enjoy Downtown Charlottetown”
Review of Rodd Charlottetown

Rodd Charlottetown
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Halifax, NS
“The Perfect Location from which to enjoy Downtown Charlottetown”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My husband and I and our 21 month old daughter stayed at this hotel for one night during the Jack Frost Festival. We found the location to be ideal as we were able to park and then hop a shuttle to the waterfront area where the outdoor portion of the festival was taking place. The Confederation Mall was also just a couple of blocks down the street. Since it was Valentine's day, we thought better of taking our toddler out to possibly ruin a romantic evening for some of the other patrons. We were able to order some great take-out from a place just down the street and my husband had a short and pleasant walk to go and get it when it was ready. The location is definitely one of the top reasons to stay at this hotel. It's also a very charming hotel which is no surprise given it's history. We appreciated many of the charming touches like the grand lobby, the glass door knobs, the wood burning fireplace in the lobby, etc. A lot of other reviews complained about the size of the rooms and the bathroom but honestly, how much room do you need in a hotel? There was more than enough space for a family of three anyway. I can see what some may have meant about the bathrooms being small but again, who cares? The main thing was that the place was clean and we were well looked after. Of course, there were a few little things that irked us - the elevators are very small and very slow. When they finally arrived at our floor, it didn't take long to fill them, especially at check in and check out times when there was so much luggage. We ended up waiting for long periods of time and we took the stairs on many occasions when we didn't have a lot of luggage to carry. And the reviews are true about the food... I don't know about dinner since we only had the breakfast buffet but it wasn't the greatest. There was a lot of selection but a lot of it was very bland. On the other hand, the service was very friendly and we were greeted and offered coffee only a moment after arriving. I wouldn't rush back for breakfast but if you're pressed for time and you don't mind paying hotel breakfast prices, it won't kill you to eat here. (The coffee was decent and there was plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt and cereal anyway!) Going back to the nice stuff, the hotel also has a great rooftop from where we were able to watch the fireworks down on the waterfront which were part of the festival. The beds were also extremely comfortable and I had a great night's sleep, maybe thanks also to all of the fresh air we enjoyed earlier that day. Since it was an early night for us with a little one in tow, it would have been nice to have the option to watch some in-room movies. I was a little surprised this wasn't offered. Oh well, all in all, it was a great stay. We really appreciated the charm - and the convenience of the Rodd Charlottletown and would definitely say it's a great spot for families visiting the city. In the summer, great shopping, theatre (Confederation Centre of the Arts) and restaurants are all, quite literally, at your doorstep.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Somerset UK
Reviewed October 1, 2008

First impressions were of one of the old Canadian Pacific Railroad hotels similar to the Banff Springs with a spacious welcoming lobby.
Room was OK but the bathroom was too small. Handily placed for the city centre but a bit of a wait for an early breakfast.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008
dublin
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We stayed here in Sept 2008. The hotel has seen its day. Although a beautiful historic property built in the 30's , a major renovation was done about 15 years ago and its not a terribly good job. Anyone with an interest ion conservation will find it quiet depressing. Whilst the lobby is ok, pvc has been used in the windows and the decor is twee and not appropriate to the era the hotel was built. Overall the hotel is ok. Its grubby in parts and seriously needs investment in terms of painting of common areas and new soft furnishings and carpets for the bedrooms and lobby areas. The beds were comfy and although there have been a lot of complaints about the bathrooms I thought they were quaint and this is the one area where some original features such as cast iron baths and old tiles have been retained. The pool was grotty and again needs refurbishment. Staff were friendly, didnt try the food. Place seems popular with tour groups. Overall not worth 150 dollars a night.

To the owners I suggest you employ a decent conservation architect, splash some cash and start over with some renovation works.

Stayed September 2008
Newfoundland
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Stayed here for business conference for three nights. Like other reviews, I was impressed upon arrival at the hotel with the entrance and lobby and the staff were polite and helpful. The room was a complete disappointment. two small beds which the hotel insists were doubles, torn carpeting, small rooms, dingy and old bed covers (how about feather duvets?), small bathroom with no where to lay anything. I had breakfasts and lunches at the hotel which were average. Poor value for money at over $200 per night. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
New Brunswick
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Stayed their for one night with my wife while she was in Charlottetown on business. Room was booked by her company. $180 corporate rate.

Room was very small but bathroom was huge and nice? We felt a bit closterphobic. Very old hotel that has been renovated. No ventilation it seemed (very stuffy). Walls were very thin. Our room was next to the stair well with the head of the bed on that wall. I sleep light and was awake for most of night. Good times.

Staff are very friendly and hotel is clean. Had dinner and breakfast at hotel. Both were good but dinner was pricey.

Bottom line; Stuffy room, walls were closing in and no sleep = Glad I wasn't paying.

• Disliked — Old Hotel and extremely overpriced
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed at the Charlottetown for two nights with two friends of mine during July 2008. This was easily the favorite hotel of our trip through Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

Our room charmed us the minute we walked in. It was lovely and quite tastefully appointed. On the walls, instead of prints of saccharine paintings, hung hand-colored historical photographs, and there was an old-fashioned secretary desk with a folding top. (Plus there was a refrigerator in our room! Woo hoo!)

The tub was DEEP. I'm a short person, but when I sit down, my head still comes up well above the rim of most modern bathtubs. WIth this one, though, i could actually stretch out some and still remain almost totally within the bathtub. Each of us made sure to take a bath in it as we were all afraid that we would never encounter its like again.

The location is superb. The hotel is next to a little park and close to Charlottetown's major shopping areas along Queen Street and Victoria Row. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the waterfront.

The Charlottetown's beautiful historic building was a sight for sore eyes, especially considering that we had just come from the hideous box that is the Citadel Hotel in Halifax.

We had some good food served to us at the bar (I didn't partake of my friends' lasagna, but I liked the cake) and our bartender was very attentive and friendly.

Our room felt a little cramped, but the decor more than made up for it. I figure that older hotels are going to have smaller rooms than newer ones, anyway. The beds seemed a little small too, but it didn't matter to me since I had a bed to myself. (My friends probably would have liked a bigger bed, though, as they had to share one.)

Some of the fixtures in the bathroom showed a little wear and tear, but I was willing to overlook that in favor of the glorious bathtub and the attractive decor.

It isn't everyday that I get to stay in a room with character in a hotel exuding the classic elegance of the past. I would definitely come back here if I visit PEI again.

• Liked — Great location; classic architecture; delightful interior decor; refrigerator in our room; BIG bathtub
  • Disliked — Small size of room and beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2008

The Good:

Upon arrival, I was impressed with the building. It looked exactly like the pictures online ... a historic gem. The lobby was very elegant, in a classically Victorian kind of way. It was obvious that the lobby had been lovingly restored.

The front desk staff was very polite and did their best to accomodate my early check-in. I was pleasantly suprised at their friendliness and tourism knowledge. The customer service I received was probably one of the highlights of my stay there.

The location was also a plus. It's within walking distance of the wharf, and other main streets, but far away enough from heavy traffic that it's very quiet.

The menu in the dining room had a variety of items and was very reasonably priced. I tried the baked haddock for dinner, and it was quite good, although on the small side (the veggies make up most of the plate).

The Bad:

Despite the great first impression, the rest of the hotel was quite a disappointment. The elevators were tiny, and when I got off on my floor, the air smelt really musty and stale, like an attic that hasn't been cleaned in years.

The room was also a letdown. Size wise, it was average .. no complaints there. It was decorated in a traditional style, and that was fine. However, it smelt a little musty and the carpet felt like it needed a good steam clean. I ended up wearing my shoes the entire time, even going from the bed to the bathroom.

The bathroom was really small ... with nowhere to put toiletries, hang clothes etc.The toilet was right up against the wall and door, and the bowl was badly scratched. Also, the toilets are really loud ... everytime someone in the neighbouring room used the bathroom, you could hear the flushing noise (kind of like what you'd hear on an airplane bathroom).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank CherryPinkPeony