“Big thanks to management for !!!”
Review of Rodd Charlottetown

Rodd Charlottetown
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Winnipeg, Canada
“Big thanks to management for !!!”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

People can read my review of Oct 2011. Still a great historic building in a historic region. Although you are right next door to the firehall, I never heard them once. Lights in bathrooms are different and light up bright right away. They also have new remotes, the sanitizable ones and cleaning staff actually did clean it daily. Bed still mushy but they give you lots of blankets and pillows.
On last day I was here, PEI got hammered with a snowstorm that actually shut down the city and my speaking engagements. With an early evening flight and nothing else to do and checkout at 11 am, I called the front desk and spoke with the manager who was nothing short of awesome. She told me "we'd never throw you out in the cold my dear" and laughed and told me to checkout whenever I want. In all of my traveling, this is only the second time that a hotel has not tried to gouge me for late checkout due to unforeseen circumstances. Cleaning staff knew I was stuck and recommended places to eat and get coffee plus the fastest route as I wasn't dressed for the weather.
Thanks so much Rodd Charlottetown. (Oh nice to know - EVERYONE in town merely refers to this as The Charlottetown Hotel as that is the historical name)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NishTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Toronto Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This is an old hotel, but nicely maintained. Rooms are small, as most stately old hotel rooms are, but really comfortable. Didn't have dinner so can't comment on most food, but breakfast was very good. Nice little bar area. Highly recommend for relaxing on a business trip. Would also stay on my next vacation in the area.

Room Tip: Can't recommend as I only saw mine. Overlooked a parking lot and part of downtown area, but I w...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
PEI, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

I took my four children with me to his hotel as it was the beginning of March Break and I had a meeting at the hotel. I inquired prior to checking in, if they could provide babysitter for the time I would be in the meeting. They told me they don't usually but would call me back, which they did within 10 minutes. One of the staff members were available if I needed them.

We checked in at 6:30 without any delay. The rooms were clean with a turn of the century look to them (made me think that this would be where the affluent would stay in he 1920s) and I liked it. It was the first room we stayed in that you used a key, instead of a card to enter the room.

The room had two double beds, a flat screen tv, a couple of wingback chairs, a secretary desk, a fridge ( which we usually have to pay $10 extra per night at other hotels), and free parking for $98 per night.

We didn't hear any noise from neighbouring rooms during the stay. The staff was friendly throughout our stay.

We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on that. We used the pool often and it was always empty when we went down. There was a hot tub and sauna that we used as well. The view from the rooftop terrace was wonderful.

The bathroom was small, but none of us usually spend much time in there so that didn't matter. The water pressure was strong in the shower and the water temperature was constant.

All in all, I wouldn't hessiate to stay here again. I felt we received good value for our money especially considering we were in downtown Charlottetown and could walk everywhere.

Stayed March 2012
3 Thank TignishTraveller
Kentucky
Reviewed March 20, 2012

It's a beautiful building. The staff is wonderful. The beds are nice. The bathrooms are tiny. And it's dark. And the lights randomly flicker and the TV turns itself off. It was a good place to stay, but my next visit to PEI, I will probably go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BabeinWoods
Nova Scotia
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Rooms are nice and spacious for an older hotel. They screwed up my reservation by forgetting to book my golf at the nearby course but took care of me very pleasantly by upgrading my room to a suite and giving my wife and I green fees to one of the best courses on the island instead of the cheaper one we had booked. What great customer service!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Rodd Charlottetown for one night for business. Walking to our rooms, I got the feel of walking through a convent. Everything is old - but well maintained - and quiet.

Reading through previous reviews, it seems that some people hate this hotel, and others love it. I think it ultimately depends on your personality and your priorities. For me, I have stayed at many hotels where the decor and room layout is interchangeable. It does the job, but there's no character. The Rodd Charlottetown has character galore. Yes, the rooms and the bathrooms are tiny (more European style), but most of the furnishings are original and 100 years old. I do agree, however, that the walls are paper thin. I could literally hear someone putting on their pants in the room next to me.

One thing I know for certain, though, is that the dining room is terrible. It is stuffy, overpriced, and the food is of very poor quality. Considering the downtown location, you are much better off choosing from one of the many restaurants and pubs nearby.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JennXL
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Here we go...another hotel that would rather try to impress people with their history as opposed to providing modern comfort and convenience.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip stayed here 38 years ago and evidently Rodd Hotels and Resorts feel that they never have to upgrade the place again. Why bother, when you can ride the momentum of the Queen's stay, right?

The worst feature of our room was the bathroom. Rodd has done a great job at preserving the 1973 decor but the functionality leaves a lot to be desired. Apparently there haven't been any plumbers allowed in the building since 1973 either. There was very minimal water pressure coming from the shower. It felt like somebody was pouring water on me from a flowerpot. Now imagine that flowerpot dispensing water at varying temperatures changing by the second. If you're a shower person you'll be cranky. The bathroom door wouldn't close properly either. It required around 50 pounds of force to close it at all. I'm sure our neighbours appreciated the noise.

After getting settled in our room, my wife and I squeezed into the elevator (which I suspect is a converted supply closet judging by its small size) to go back to the lobby.

We asked the desk clerk about what tours of the island were available - timings, locations, that sort of thing. She confirmed with us that there were indeed tours....she just didn't know anything about them. The hotel has no concierge so if you want to know anything about the city or what sorts of activities to partake in, you're on your own. Hey, if Queen Elizabeth II didn't need one 38 years ago, you don't need one today.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a great location. Downtown Charlottetown is minutes away and there is a lot of waterfront scenery to take in nearby (if you're into that sort of thing.) Somebody should let the front desk staff know too.

The hotel actually does have free wi-fi and flatscreen TVs (unlike the Lord Elgin in Ottawa, another relic in need of an upgrade to the 21st Century.) The rooms have an ethernet connection too but we didn't use that feature.

I'm giving 2 stars based on the hotel's location, wi-fi, flatscreen TVs, and the perfectly adequate restaurant called Wally's Restaurant & Lounge (that's really what it's called.)

This place needs to release the pause button that they pressed in the early '70s and fast forward to the present if they want to stay competitive in their industry. The Queen won't mind!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple