“What charm in the heart of the city.”
Review of The Great George

The Great George
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Canada
“What charm in the heart of the city.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at thus unique Inn which is a complex of old homes restored as an Inn. We stayed in the 2 storey suite 643. Loved it. Down stairs had the king bed and seating area in front of the fireplace. The upstairs loft had a wonderful jacuzzi tub overlooking Great George Street and the basilica. The main lobby is very charming. Continental breakfast is served every morning. They have yummy fresh baked cookies from 3- midnight! This property is in the heart of Charlottetown and within 5 minute walk of most restaurants and bars. We did hear the bar patrons return to their homes at 2 am when we left the windows open. But this was not a deal breaker. Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank tbwc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was recently in Charlottetown on business but brought my husband with me. We stayed at this hotel and I have to say that it is simply charming and welcoming. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Loved the happy hour! It is also located near the waterfront where you can shop and eat. I simply loved this place and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sillybug
Ottawa
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had stayed here before when it was called The Inns on Great George and loved the historic location between the waterfront and Province House (the 1864 Charlottetown Conference birthplace of Canada) plus nearby shops and restaurants. St. Dunstan’s basilica/cathedral (it is referred to as both) classical stone architecture with modern 20th century stained glass windows is across the street. This time we had Pavilion Traditional Room 201 with a close-up view of the rear parking lot. The room, decorated with antique furnishings, was dark with only one floor lamp and two table lamps for illumination but did have a wonderful pillow-top mattress, duvet and modern bright bathroom. However, soundproofing is a problem. The first night we were wakened by loud voices from the parking lot at 4:00 AM before a vehicle drove off rapidly. The second night we listened to thumping footsteps from the room above us followed by the sound of multiple showers at 3:00 AM and the hum of whirlpool water jets. The third night was quiet but during our morning showers we were serenaded by high pitched ‘screaming’ noises from the shower head (faucet valve problem?). There is a nightly turn-down service with chocolate mints and ice bucket top-up. Also, Aveda toiletries were provided, a Keurig coffee maker with pods and a 5-kilometre (3-mile) walking/jogging map around historic Charlottetown. A buffet breakfast is provided between 7-10 AM in the lobby as are happy hour wine /beer refreshments between 5-6 PM. Breakfast included mini quiches, boiled eggs, sweet pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, a toaster for bread/English muffins plus juices, tea and coffee. You carry your choices to a sofa or chair in the lobby and enjoy a good beginning to the day. When I asked for driving directions to Brackley Beach reception staff were uncertain about the route but did pull out a provincial map and we jointly figured out the best way from the hotel. However when I asked to have a copy of the book Landscapes of Confederation which was in our room with a notation that new copies could be purchased at Reception for $25 I was first told I could have a copy immediately and the cost would be added to my bill. Fine, I said, but I will pick it up when I return to the hotel in the afternoon. Mistake. When I did so I was told no copies were available but I could buy the used copy in my room for the full charge. I declined. At checkout I again asked about the book and was told they were no longer available and the hotel would not be getting any more. Whatever the story, screw it. Back home I located a copy at a museum and had it shipped to me. Would I return? Maybe. Perhaps a room on the top (4th.) floor would avoid noise-from-above issues. Soundproofing and staff training would help, too.

Room Tip: Get top floor room so there is no noise from the room above you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank xygb7dklt
GG58GGS, Director of Sales at The Great George, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your review of our property and for your many kind remarks regarding the amenities, location and the many value added features we provide our Guests! Feedback is very important to us, and we do appreciate taking time to post your review. I'm sorry to learn you experienced some noise, I most certainly will have maintenance look into it. If we have the opportunity to host you again please call our reservations department anytime with any special requests that will make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you again for your comments.

Michelle
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Wonderful, beautiful room with all the desired amenities. Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable staff. Convenient location, an easy walk to the waterfront. Do be prepared to park a little ways away and to carry your luggage up a few front steps to the elegant lobby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Barbara O
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been using Trip Advisor for a long time for planning my vacation. I usually just read the comments and recommendations but I just feel that The Great George Hotel deserves a review from me.

Prior to our trip, I saw the reviews in here and I just feel this is great place to stay in Charlottetown. However, when I tried to book the hotel online for a double-bed room, it asked me to contact hotel directly. I sent an email regarding the booking and availability. It was replied promptly and booking was completed within a day.

We arrived town in the middle of the day and it was raining quite heavy. It was a little bit hard to find parking as the parking lot was full in the beginning. I pull over and went in to ask the front desk for parking location. Apparently, there is another parking lot down the road. During check-in, they offered an upgrade to us. We got a 4-bedroom apartment! It is located across the road and the lady from the front desk actually took us across the road and show us the apartment. It is a detached house and we thought we probably staying in one of the floors. We opened the door and to our surprise, we are staying in the 4-bedroom HOUSE by ourselves (i.e. not sharing this with anyone!). It has everything you need and it also has a washer and dryer (perfect for our mid-trip laundry!) We were too excited about this upgrade!

The hotel offers fresh baked cookie in the lobby during afternoon. it also has happy hours from 5-6pm, which they serve local beer and wine!

Since it was a rainy day, we tried to figure out where to eat. Maria from the front desk recommended us to "Water Prince Corner Shop" for seafood. She even went a step and beyond to make a reservation for us so that we can have a walk around the town prior to our dinner. (It was great restaurant! It will be in a separate review.)

The bed was very comfy and the breakfast the next morning was very good! We had a very nice stay and enjoyed every minute of our time in the hotel. I highly recommended this place to everyone planning a stay in Charlottetown. I would definitely stay here again if I am in Charlottetown!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank edc26
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here when we were in town for a conference. It came recommended from a friend who lives in Charlottetown and therefore we had high expectations. Despite the high expectations everything at the Great George was amazing. The rooms are spacious and updated but maintain that vintage charm. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you're happy and comfortable. They even gave us the recipe to their wonderful chocolate chip cookies! The breakfast is great and if you're in a rush they have 'to go' breakfast packages. Will not stay anywhere else besides the Great George when we go back to Charlottetown.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank JPP566
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our two night stay had us in a corner room right above the lobby/living-room. We were never bothered by any noise from the comings and going of the rest of the house. The staff was over the top friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was adequate, the happy hour was very generous and had local brews as well as wine available. We absolutely loved the little touches like the fresh (omg) cookies, bowls of candy everywhere, breakfast to go, plus juice and water available through out our stay. We will stay here again during our next visit to Charlottetown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple