“Loved the George!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Encinitas, California
“Loved the George!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Great George is a wonderful place to stay in Charlottetown. The location is within walking distance of many places with restaurants nearby. The George serves a good continental breakfast and has a lovely "happy hour" with free wine and beer each evening. The atmosphere in the lobby encourages guests to mingle and it is a nice way to meet other travelers. The staff was very friendly and the room was lovely.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Fabulous location in a fabulous historical city. I loved the location; I loved all the fabulous restaurants within walking distance; I loved being so close to the harbour; I loved the antique appointed rooms; I loved the great service; I loved the continental breakfast; I loved the good night's sleep and I loved feeling I was in a different world in a different time. Thank you, Mr. The Great George.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GG58GGS, Director of Sales at The Great George, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
We loved having you stay with us!

Michelle
Newfoundland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights at the end of August. The hotel is located in the historic district of Charlottetown and is an ideal location for touring Charlottetown and the rest of the island. However, the hotel can be difficult to navigate to and from given all the one way streets in the downtown area. The hotel consists of a main building (Inn) and older historic buildings that have been renovated and furnished.

There was a mix up when we arrived and they put us in a different location than I had booked. After some frustration, the hotel said it was their fault and moved us to the location I had booked - The Carriage House. This little house has a private entrance and is a stand alone bungalow with an upstairs and downstairs. There is a bedroom and bathroom upstairs and a kitchen and living area with pullout sofa downstairs. It is decorated with antiques and is charming. Definitely enough space for 2-4 people. Only problem we had was with a few unwelcome visitors. We killed 2 large spiders and 3 small spiders during our stay and also some some black flies that got in through the window screens. Not sure if it's because of the age of the house or because of the time of year, but it was quite gross. Also, in the parking lot there were so many wasps we had to run to our car and quickly get in so they wouldn't get in the car.

Internet speed was fine, but had to keep signing in as connection left when you left the house.

Depending on which property you are in, you can hear street noise very clearly.

They have 2 parking lots which are usually full and they also have a number of spots on the street to park. Beware though that the streets are very narrow in this part of town and not sure I would want to park my vehicle on them.

There was a free breakfast served at the main building each morning and consisted of cereals, yogurt, toast, boiled eggs and fruit. It was adequate, however there are no tables and you just sit wherever to eat. Very awkward. Fresh baked cookies everyday was a nice touch and they were delicious!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. But I would not return. This is an overpriced hotel and the accommodations, while nice, do not reflect the price. These properties are very old so if you do choose to stay here, don't expect new and shiny. Expect old and antique.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sharpay10
Rachel V, General Manager at The Great George, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Please accept our apologies for your experience with us. Rest assured that this type of situation is not common and we take preventative measures to ensure that these issues are not a problem with our guests. We would love a second chance at serving your accommodation needs in the future.
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I would like to start off by thanking the staff at the Great George. One of the most exciting weekends of my life started just after my (now) fiance and I checked into a beautiful Queen Room. We were not there for very long when the proposal happened and we decided to make the most of our special weekend by staying a second night.

With my exciting news in hand, I proceeded to book another room in the hotel with the two lovely girls at the front desk being so excited for me and my husband to be. They helped my book an lovely romantic suite for our second night and were incredibly helpful! The day after our engagement we "checked in" again to our new suite and came upon a bottle of red wine and a card of congratulations from the staff. It was so thoughtful!

We were truly spoiled at every corner this weekend, but not just because it was a special occasion for us. For every guest the hotel is beautiful, the staff friendly and helpful. The touches of a welcome card, phoning us to see if our room was great, delivering our luggage and many other personalized touches are only a few reasons to stay at the Great George.

This is THE hotel to stay in while visiting Charlottetown. The location downtown cannot be matched by any other hotel in the city, the staff is phenomenal and the rooms and suites are beautiful, comfortable and impeccably maintained.

We will be back again! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah B
Congratulations!! We are so happy to be a part of your engagement story and we look forward to you celebrating many more special occasions with us in the future! All the best to you both!
London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is located in the perfect spot in the happening area of Charlottetown. Lots of boutique style shopping, great outdoor cafes, etc.
The rooms are very spacious and the people and service are outstanding. As for pricing, a little pricey, but you won't find this sort of room for less money. The one night was noisy (we fronted Great George Street...some people were drinking to much and loud out front), the second night was very quiet. I would as for a room not fronting onto Great George Street to avoid any noise.
We were given a nice bottle of wine upon arrival and the rest of the stay was good. Definitely agree with another review...."this is the only place to stay on PEI!"

Room Tip: Pick a room not fronting George Street.
1 Thank Relaxed66
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have been to numerous hotels in my life and I truly rate The Great George as number one There was warm cookies in the afternoon, free beer or wine during week days from 5 to 6 p.m, free hot breakfast in the mornings, a candy dish in the room and more. Treat your loved one to this experience. You will always remember it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the claw tub room with the four post bed. Lovely!
1 Thank Familybusinessmentor
GG58GGS, Director of Sales at The Great George, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We are thrilled to be your number one!

Michelle Westaway
Director of Sales
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Ok so I feel like I'm being disloyal to a friend who has tried to help me. But here goes. This is pricey for a B and B. We were expecting a lot judging by the price and reviews. When we arrived the hotel vehicle was parked in the valet parking space and there were no obvious parking spaces. I sort of lurked about in the car while my wife went to find out where we could park. "Anywhere" "leave it on the street" " it will be ok" was the long awaited reply. There are 'no parking' and 'it will be towed' signs all over the place so I was not inclined to just leave it "anywhere". To be fair the reason my wife had taken so long to return was that the very helpful receptionist had personally shown her every possible parking spot on or about the premises.
Really! For the money leave the Valet space free and get somebody to park the car....Simple!
The rooms which are excellent are spread all over the place which is quirky and charming to some like my wife or a pain in the **** to others like me. Any way we had a very pleasant nights sleep.
There is only one public area which is a lounge that is miraculously transformed into a breakfast room.......well actually it isnt! ......It is still a lounge..... where you try and eat breakfast off trays and little folding tables. Again some may find this cute others like me found it awkward. Service was excellent for those who were the clearly the establishments favoured guests. I can only describe the experience as having the distinct feeling of visiting a nursing home and staying for tea!
You could not be better located however and if the young man serving at the managers reception
had not walked past my empty glass to serve the favoured guests I might have been kinder.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank captaingeb
Rachel V, General Manager at The Great George, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your stay at The Great George in Charlottetown. We are disappointed that your initial impressions were not 100% positive. We do appreciate all feedback and consider this an opportunity for continuous improvement toward our ultimate goal of 100% guest satisfaction. I do apologize if you initially had trouble finding parking but delighted that your wife was personally shown by our team the many free choices available throughout the premises. I love your idea of valet parking and will try to incorporate that into our future business plans. I'm glad you found the rooms to be excellent and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our complimentary guest reception. I do apologize if your empty glass was missed it was certainly an oversight on our part as every guest that comes through our doors is our priority number one. We appreciate your business and hope that in the future we will have an opportunity to provide you with the WOW experience that is our service standard.