“Perfect Location!”
Review of The Great George

The Great George
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is located in the perfect spot in the happening area of Charlottetown. Lots of boutique style shopping, great outdoor cafes, etc.
The rooms are very spacious and the people and service are outstanding. As for pricing, a little pricey, but you won't find this sort of room for less money. The one night was noisy (we fronted Great George Street...some people were drinking to much and loud out front), the second night was very quiet. I would as for a room not fronting onto Great George Street to avoid any noise.
We were given a nice bottle of wine upon arrival and the rest of the stay was good. Definitely agree with another review...."this is the only place to stay on PEI!"

Room Tip: Pick a room not fronting George Street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Relaxed66

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have been to numerous hotels in my life and I truly rate The Great George as number one There was warm cookies in the afternoon, free beer or wine during week days from 5 to 6 p.m, free hot breakfast in the mornings, a candy dish in the room and more. Treat your loved one to this experience. You will always remember it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the claw tub room with the four post bed. Lovely!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Familybusinessmentor
GG58GGS, Director of Sales at The Great George, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

We are thrilled to be your number one!

Michelle Westaway
Director of Sales

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Ok so I feel like I'm being disloyal to a friend who has tried to help me. But here goes. This is pricey for a B and B. We were expecting a lot judging by the price and reviews. When we arrived the hotel vehicle was parked in the valet parking space and there were no obvious parking spaces. I sort of lurked about in the car while my wife went to find out where we could park. "Anywhere" "leave it on the street" " it will be ok" was the long awaited reply. There are 'no parking' and 'it will be towed' signs all over the place so I was not inclined to just leave it "anywhere". To be fair the reason my wife had taken so long to return was that the very helpful receptionist had personally shown her every possible parking spot on or about the premises.
Really! For the money leave the Valet space free and get somebody to park the car....Simple!
The rooms which are excellent are spread all over the place which is quirky and charming to some like my wife or a pain in the **** to others like me. Any way we had a very pleasant nights sleep.
There is only one public area which is a lounge that is miraculously transformed into a breakfast room.......well actually it isnt! ......It is still a lounge..... where you try and eat breakfast off trays and little folding tables. Again some may find this cute others like me found it awkward. Service was excellent for those who were the clearly the establishments favoured guests. I can only describe the experience as having the distinct feeling of visiting a nursing home and staying for tea!
You could not be better located however and if the young man serving at the managers reception
had not walked past my empty glass to serve the favoured guests I might have been kinder.

5  Thank captaingeb
Rachel V, General Manager at The Great George, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your stay at The Great George in Charlottetown. We are disappointed that your initial impressions were not 100% positive. We do appreciate all feedback and consider this an opportunity for continuous improvement toward our ultimate goal of 100% guest satisfaction. I do apologize if you initially had trouble finding parking but delighted that your wife was personally shown by our team the many free choices available throughout the premises. I love your idea of valet parking and will try to incorporate that into our future business plans. I'm glad you found the rooms to be excellent and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our complimentary guest reception. I do apologize if your empty glass was missed it was certainly an oversight on our part as every guest that comes through our doors is our priority number one. We appreciate your business and hope that in the future we will have an opportunity to provide you with the WOW experience that is our service standard.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Yes the quaint little picturesque town lures you in and it is indeed a lovely place in a serene part of the world.

The GG is a wonderful hotel, it's just that I would have liked to stay in it!!

Maybe I was a little blind at the booking stage but when we drove in to the car park, we discovered that we were not staying in the main building, but one of their many buildings in the local area and we had to lug bags back out the hotel and into the new venue.

The room was really nice, but one could not help but feel that it was in fact, more suited to a young professional getting a cool new first time apartment. Of course, for breakfast, we had to head back over to the hotel proper.

So for that reason, I was a little disappointed and I am sure these kinks would have been ironed out if we were staying in the main building. The service was fine, the place spotless and no problems, but that is not what I thought I was booking!!

The breakfast was help-yourself but as the seating is around the front area, you neither sat at a table nor resting comfortably on big comfy chairs....that is unless you get in early to bag yourself a table.

Room Tip: If you book here, then try and book in the 'hotel' to avoid being billeted in one of their o...
3  Thank LoftusroadW12

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm not sure what avenue you used for your booking but I do apologize if you didn't get the room category you had hoped for. The hotel must have been quite busy otherwise I'm positive our guest services team would have offered you another room. The Great George is indeed a unique collection of 15 heritage buildings and 54 individual rooms and suites, all with their own individual character and story. The property is spread over 1½ blocks and I'm sorry that you were not offered help with your luggage. It is not on par with our service standard that you weren't personally escorted right to your door. I'm happy that you thought your room was nice and you found the property to spotless. If we have the opportunity to host you again please call our reservations department anytime with special requests. Thank you again for your comments.

Michelle Westaway
Director of Sales

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We spent five nights here over the Aug long weekend in a lovely room with queen bed, sitting area and washer/dryer! The lobby is warm and casual. The staff extremely helpful and the breakfast buffet is just perfect - breads, cereal, mini quiche, fruit, eggs and yoghurt. The hotel is spread out over about 14 restored buildings. The room decor, in our room, was contemporary and functional. Nice sized bathroom. The plumbing fixtures seemed in need of replacement but everything fit with the laid back character.
The Great George makes the perfect base for a visit to PEI.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank boundary
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 6 years ago and once again it exceeded all expectations. During this visit, we stayed 3 nights in the main building and had a lovely queen room with a fireplace. The bed was extremely comfortable with superior linens. My only complaint would be the room location on the second floor. Early morning lobby noise could be heard as we were over the side door/kitchenette area. During our previous stay, we also had a second floor room, but there was no issue with noise. The lobby is a warm, inviting space with lots of comfortable places to sit. As an added touch, there were fresh baked cookies and tea or coffee in the afternoon. There was complimentary beer and wine daily around 5:00pm. The morning buffet offered a nice variety of fruits, yogurt, eggs, cereal, toast and various pastries. We enjoyed our breakfasts on the veranda. The staff was always friendly and extremely helpful. The location was perfect; we were within walking distance to the harbour, wonderful restaurants, entertainment and shopping. We highly recommend The Great George; we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Charlottetown.

Room Tip: Avoid the room on the second floor over the side entrance.
1  Thank Barb155003
Reviewed August 5, 2012

What a spectacular hotel. The lobby and adjacent sitting area was a joy. The breakfast was a great start to our days in Charlottetown. The rooms were well maintained and stocked with all amenities. The bed was very comfortable and the staff made every effort to aid us with our many questions.I wish that we had booked for more time with the Great George. Centrally located but far enough away from the main tourist areas that you could enjoy the neighbourhood location. Thank you again for a great start to our holiday!

Room Tip: Book early if you are coming for the summer!