“They welcomed me like a long lost cousin!”
Review of Dundee Arms Inn

Dundee Arms Inn
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed March 18, 2014

If you are travelling to Charlottetown, there is no better place to stay than the Dundee Arms.
As I was stepping out of my taxi, the night manager opened the front door to welcome me. Throughout my stay, every one of the staff treated me like family - and they couldn't do enough for me. I had a spacious room with a king-sized bed, huge shower, and all the other pieces. The pub served amazing food at reasonable prices. I was surprised to find a complimentary breakfast with fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, cereal, and eggs and a lady begging to refill your coffee and juice. Close to the business area, close to the heart of the city - I know where I'm staying the next time!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob T

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed in an upstairs Annex room for 3 nights. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet but rather dark. Breakfast was very good and we found the location excellent for walking to restaurants and sightseeing. The staff was friendly and the price reasonable.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GreyBay
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed in Annex Room 41 on NYE. 3rd floor up external stairway with no offer to help with luggage. Walkways were not poorly cleared of ice and there was little to no parking, nor suggestions for parking options when we asked at check-in. The door to the room you had to slam your body into to open. The toilet had not been cleaned, the grout in the shower was dirty in areas. The cleaning service that they sent up to clean the toilet stated that the door 'was always like that'. The service was friendly but that is the norm for any business in Charlottetown, islanders are a friendly people. The free continental breakfast was disappointing with not much selection and very poorly executed. We really wanted to like this hotel as the prices are reasonable and it's in a great location. However, after our NYE stay I would not stay again nor recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bish001
Dundee I, General Manager at Dundee Arms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you for your review of our property. I wish I had of been informed on check out regarding the problems you encountered while staying with us. I understand from this review that you had a few problems.. The preauthorization on your credit card is a standard Hotel policy which I have encountered many times during my travels. The hotel has to guarantee payment should a guest wish to make long distance house calls, charge food or beverages etc.... to their hotel room.

The continental breakfast is a deluxe continental breakfast. All of our guests are pleasantly surprised when they see that it is much more than a muffin and coffee or tea. Your breakfast consisted of : eggs, toast, fresh fruit salad, yogurt, mini quiche, bagels, muffins, coffee/tea, assorted juice , cereals, granola, jams, pancakes, scones and more. I am sorry if this was not sufficient .

The temperature on New Years Eve was -minus 19 without the wind chill. The walkways were cleared and putting down salt will not melt the ice with this temperature. The doors to the rooms are steel doors and when the temperature goes down this far and the moisture from the door will freeze making it difficult to open. This is highly unusual and only happens when the doors are opened and closed many times. The parking on New Year's Eve was not at its best. with the amount of snow down and the streets and parking places were still not up to the usual it caused a lot of people to park in our Parking lot that are designated for guest parking only. I am sorry that I did not have the time to monitor which cars were actually our guests and which cards did not belong in our lot.

I have set very high standards with my housekeeping staff and hearing that your toilet did not meet my standards is something I will talk to my housekeeping staff about. I inspected the grouting in your room and yes, I do agree that there is a small spot that needs the grouting replaced, however the grouting is not dirty. I receive accolades on the cleanliness of our establishment from locals and visitors. I am sure my comments on Trip advisor will confirm this.

I pay a lot of attention to my guests needs and guest satisfaction is extremely high on my priority list as a Manager Innkeeper. I am sorry we disappointed you and I hope you have received my letter I have sent to you via email. Had I known on checkout that you had experienced the problems as mentioned above I would have been more than happy to compensate you. Please always let your hotel Manager know if you have any problems during your stay at any establishment.

Have a great day and a Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The room was very comfortable and quiet. I was travelling alone on business and ate in the Tavern twice during my stay. the food and service was excellent. I was impressed by the complimentary breakfast which had anything one would wish. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Patrick W
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Nice Inn, great location, nice room, comfortable bed, friendly professional staff, and excellent breakfast. We had a very enjoyable stay and will definitely stay at the Dundee Arms Inn again when we are in Charlottetown.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We looked at pics on line but rooms are even better in person. Standard Queen room- quite roomy. Spacious bathroom, complete with robes for after shower! nice antiques too and very clean. Dining room was excellent. We ate supper and breakfast there (breakfast included in stay) The service was fast, food high quality ingredients and cooked to perfection. We were looking for a night away from the kids at a decent price but this really felt like a higher end night away. Honestly we've done the same thing and gone to a 5 star hotel, this was just as good. Would recommend. Superb service makes all the difference. Restaurant staff attentive and Inn staff are welcoming. Great location too, close to parks, boardwalk, downtown.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive, maybe ask for a quieter area.. we could hear the tv from room beside us...