“They are going to end up w/ a lawsuit when someone gets scalded from fluctuating water temperatures!”
Review of Dundee Arms Inn

Dundee Arms Inn
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We had a room in the annex which was fine, although we thought overpriced. The room is a bit dark and the bathroom light does glow through the sliding storage area which is a problem for someone trying to sleep. The real issue is the fluctuating water temperature and pressure in the shower. I know they must be aware of this problem since I have seen comments in previous reviews. This is not a minor problem, but a severe problem which could be very dangerous. I hope they will give it the proper attention. I would not stay there again until this is remedied.

We did not eat the restaurant.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wimberleydlc
DundeeArmsInn, General Manager at Dundee Arms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding our property.

I do understand what you are saying and I agree with you. As posted earlier in a response to another guest I had installed check valves in all 22 of our rooms. I thought I had the problem solved until a guest commented on the water pressure and the temperature change the following day. I called in the plumber again to investigate why the water pressure was up and down and why the water temperature kept changing. He traced the water back to the company who controls our water which is P.E.I Energy systems. I now have installed an 80 gallon tank in the basement to solve this problem . I am making a point of asking our guests on check out how their shower was. I hope I have the problem fixed as P.E.I Energy Corporation assured me the problems will no longer exist

Please accept my apologies for your unpleasant experience and I hope you enjoy the remainder of your vacation..

Reviewed August 27, 2011

It's not cheap and breakfast is not included during the summer.
We were allowed to check in early but the room we were given had a leaking air conditioner, was dark and on the car park level so I was informed it was not safe to keep the window open. We moved up 3 flights and now overlooked the noisy kitchen vent. We had one tiny window, fake Japanese decor, dark environment but a fridge and microwave ( if you wanted them).
On the positive side, the bathroom was large with counter space. fluffy robes ( a bit incongruous) and the patio setting was pleasant. The staff were friendly

Room Tip: Maybe the original Inn rooms are better ?
2  Thank Baltzan
DundeeArmsInn, Manager at Dundee Arms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2011

I am sorry to hear that you were not completly satisfied with your visit.

I am not sure what you mean by a depressing fake Japanese motel. Our annex is newly refurbished in a modern chic and the Inn is newly refurbished in the Victorian Era. I do not see anything in our annex rooms that made you feel this way.

I have never received a complaint previuosly from any guest about the kitchen fan.I will certainly test the annex room out myself to see if the kitchen fan is keeping people awake.

I wish you had brought it to our attention about the leak in the air conditioner and we would have
had it fixed immediately for you.

My staff advised you of the annex windows for your safety. We have not had any problems on site regarding theft, however, we just wanted you to know for your own security.. I am sorry if we made you feel uncomfortable.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding the staff, patio and bathrooms.

Enjoy the remainder of your trip and thank you for staying with us.

Manager

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We booked this based on reviews and it's location, it looked charming and quaint on the internet. This was to be the highlight stay for our week on Prince Edward Island and based on the internet photos we thought this would top off our "Anne of Green Gables" vacation. When we arrived, we were not in the main house, we were put into a Super 8 looking annex. The room was spacious but short on electrical plugins, they had a huge refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, desk lamp, and lighted phone on 1 power strip (I had to unplug the coffee maker to plug-in a laptop). I am not sure the fire marshal would like this? The worst part was the shower, there is not real shower head, only a shower wand that is mounted so high above the shower that the water goes over your head, but that is not the worst part of showering, the water runs very HOT and then runs very COLD, you can never get it adjusted. The water leaks from around the door and fills the bathroom with water while you attempt to shower. There is no elevator so everyone has to take the stairs (3 flights) and the noise level is high. Because it is downtown, parking is slim, there is simply not enough parking with the restaurant located inside, if you leave to go out, you may have keep driving around and coming back until a parking spot opens. The one shiny spot is the location of this hotel, you are right in the historic district and only a short walk from tons of great places.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Devilstowerwy
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The property lists itself as an Inn with some rooms being listed as "Annex". The main building is very attractive from the outside, the foyer and reception areas are small but charming. The Annex, however, not really visible from the road, is a 3 storey, grey stone building which at first glance you think is a motel next door. The rooms have been upgraded - good beds and bedding, adequate cupboard space and spacious bathroom with just enough shelf space and quality towels & robes. The strange sliding door system around the clothes closet/fridge area, however, with it's "windows" means that any time the bathroom is used at night the light glows through into the bedroom affecting the sleep of others.
The air conditioning was very noisy and we couldn't sleep with it on, the only window to the outside was clear glass, so for privacy the curtain needed to be closed making the room even hotter and stuffier. We were glad we only had one night there!

2  Thank CateP42
DundeeArmsInn, General Manager at Dundee Arms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate hearing about your experience at the Dundee Arms Inn. The comments from guests allow us to make changes to better suit our guest needs.Your comments are very important to us.

I have been in touch with a lady that is giving me some ideas on how I can fix the situation with the main windows of the rooms so that guest will be able to open their windows and still have privacy and fresh air.

I am also looking at getting some window coverings for the bathroom window so other guests occupying the room will not be disturbed by the lighting from the bathroom.

I have been in touch with my refrigerant person who will check out the air conditioner. I was unaware that the air conditioner was loud.

Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Innkeeper/GM

Mrs Pat Sands

Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Inn provided a lovely updated room with a flat screen TV and fridge. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were clean and tastefully decorated. The shower had waves of extremely hot water come and go throughout my shower which resulted in the water temperature being adjusted regularly - which was inconvenient.

The service at the Inn was very good -- very friendly front desk and serving staff. The food was second to none -- amazing and I would highly recommend the Eggs Benedict with Salmon and Lobster Roll. Salads were fresh and had a lovely house dressing.

Pat Sands (Owner) was always around ensuring guests were satisfied!

I would definitely stay at the Dundee Arms in Charlottetown - and if the rooms are full - stop by for a great meal!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Annex - the rooms were updated.
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Stayed for one night in a suite that featured a fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Was a beautiful room and hotel.

Room Tip: Use the internet and splurge on a suite
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Very clean. Room was small, but okay for one night. Carrying luggage up to third floor wasn't the greatest. Staff welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple