“cleaning staff from hell”

BEST WESTERN Charlottetown
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Ottawa
“cleaning staff from hell”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed for 4 days at this hotel. I am of mixed oppinions about my stay. The first 2 days of our stay were among some of the worst hotel experiences of my life. I travel regularly and have a pretty good idea of what the norm should be. However, it just seemed like everything was going wrong during this trip. on the negative: 1) My daughter found an earwig in the bed which made for a most exciting start to the trip 2) the hotel staff gave our room to another person; which meant that at midnight, a couple tried to get us out of their room. The kids and I had been asleep for a few hours so this was a rather unpleasant activity. I talked with the night management and was assured that all had been resolved. 3) We attempted to get a little extra sleep the 2nd day as it took until 2am to get the kids to go back to sleep because of the strangers who walked into our room at midnight. The cleaning staff starts at 7am and knocks on your door even if you have a "do not disturb" card on the door. They were told to go away at 8, than came back and knocked at 10 and came in to the room even when a do not disturb sign was posted (a second time); I spoke with the front staff on the phone and was told that they would deal with this. Even though I recieved this assurance, The cleaning staff knocked and entered our room for a 3rd time at 11:30am. So essentially the day was shot because we couldn't get any sleep and had tired and cranky kids. 4) the floors and walls seemed extremely thin. We constantly heard people moving around. The cleaning staff banged the doors many many times in the morning as they worked on a room. Since they start early, this was even less desirable a feature. We observed them and found that they don't leave the room door open while they are in the room but feel the need to go in and out slamming the door; which leaves them in the room with the door closed for periods of time too. 5) The 2nd day we got locked out of our room and the reservation was no longer set for 3 nights but 1. So we had to get that fixed again. The night manager had assured us that the reservation was in the system properly, the evening before but obviously hadn't.
- the pool has way too much chlorine and was too cold
- the wifi wasn't fast enough to support a skype call

On the plus:
- beds were quite comfortable - pillow tops
- the day manager gave us a discount and passes to local attractions as an apology - but, still, 1 day of our family vacation was ruined and unproductive
- the rooms are nice and well layed out

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
charboneau, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I would like to offer my sincere apologies to this guest for the unwarranted disturbances that they encountered from our housekeeping staff. This will be reviewed in detail with the appropriate persons and hopefully will lead to a more disciplined work ethic. When a guest displays a do not diturb sign, this is to be respected at all times.
We make it a point to review all guest comments with the team and yours will be discussed in detail.
I hope that you next visit to our property will be more peaceful.
Walter van Beek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Sydney, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

What I liked:

-Very close to almost everything
-Great continental breakfast (wide variety)
-Very spacious room and nice size bathroom
-Extremely clean (I even heard the cleaning lady use a vacuum cleaner... Does that even exist anymore?!?)
-Pool was pretty big for a downtown hotel
-Nice blackout curtains (good for small children who go to bed early!)
-Great toiletries (Aqua Mer spa products: conditioning shampoo, body lotion, bath soap and facial soap)
-Free parking and lots available
-Laundry room for guests on second floor so very close and convenient ($1.50 per wash and per dry, if I remember correctly)
-Nice size television

What needs improvement:

-Television volume could not go very low, so it is hard to watch when others are sleeping in the room
-Toilet flush was VERY weak (had to hold the handle for about 30 seconds for a complete flush!)
-Air conditioner leaked from ceiling
-Called reception to ask for both things to be looked at and it wasn't done when we got back that evening (air conditioner might be more complex to fix but the toilet flush was NO excuse, really!)
-Have to use an underground tunnel to go from one part of the hotel to the other because it is on both sides of a street (our room was on one side and the pool and breakfast room was at the other) so a bit of a hassle at times...
-No refrigerator in room or microwave
-Pool had some deposits at bottom (sand or minerals, not sure)

2 Thank GlobetrottingMomma
This guest has taken the time to carefully document their experience at our hotel. I would like to thank you for having taken the time to do so.
All your comments are being discussed and reviewed for possible action and hopefully will make our hotel an even better experience for yor fellow travellers.
Walter van Beel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We spent a family weekend here with our 2 year old. Here's the good points:
1. Great location in Charlottetown. Walk to pretty much anywhere in downtown area.
2. Clean beds and floors in room. I always judge a book by its cover, or in this case, a hotel by its linens and carpets!
3. Friendly staff, good service. I requested a fridge in our room, and when we checked in, there it was! I guess I wasn't expecting it!
4. Nice rooms. We had a large new tv, updated furniture, etc.
5. The pool had good and bad. Fairly clean, needs updating though.

Now for the Needs Improvement Part:
1. Please renovate the bath. The counter/tap was new, but the shower tiles were yucky, and the floor wasn't great either. Our tub had also seen better days, it looked like it had a paint job recently to cover up some dents.
2. Toss the stale breakfast bagels! I swear the one I had was made of sawdust, and I'm not a fussy eater! My hubby had one the next day and it was better. The coffee was hit and miss too. Not a great selection at breakfast, but it's free so who cares. Breads, muffins, fruit, yogurt, juice. Breakfast area was clean and maintained by very friendly staff.
3. Too expensive. The Delta is much nicer and close to the same price; but not in the same class.

Room Tip: Become a Best Western Rewards Member, and book directly with the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
charboneau, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Good Afternoon,
My name is Walter van Beek, I am the General Manager of the hotel.
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to comment on their stay at our hotel.
Your kind observations will be shared with our associates.
The constructive criticism will also be shared with the team and I will do all possible to address your concerns e.g. the freshness of the breakfast.
We have just completed a multi million dollar renovation at this property and we are receiving wonderful comments from our guests. But, we can always do better and I will do all possible to further improve the guest experience at our hotel.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

A group of us, 14 in total, came to Charlottetown for a round of golf and decided to stay at the Best Western for Saturday night. We got 4 rooms. After our round of golf and dinner we all went out to explore the night life and had a few drinks. When we got back late that night the staff ordered us to our rooms stating that they received noise complaints. Fair enough, we went to our rooms and went to sleep. At around 7:30-8:00am we awoke to knocking on our door, it was the hotel manager with two police officers, she said all 14 of us had 10 minutes to gather our things and leave the premises because of the noise complaint the night before. We couldn't believe it!, we got our belongings and walked to the parking lot and there were three police cars parked at the hotel! I have no idea what the hotel manager said to obtain that sort of attention but in my opinion it was a extremely waste of the officers time and attention. Regardless, we will never return.

Room Tip: #1 tip, stay away.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jeffx2003
My name is Walter van Beek and I am the General Manager of the hotel.
When we receive serious complaints from other hotel guests about noise and their inability to sleep, we have an obligation to enforce our quiet policy.
Our policy is very clear: we ask our guests to be quiet after 11.00 pm to respect the needs of others. We give one clear warning to the offending guests and we make it clear that the next noise complaint results in an eviction from the hotel.
We would normally request the presence of the local police force to assist us with the eviction of hotel guests.
I have carefully checked all our logs for this night and it clearly shows that we received noise complaints from your rooms which carried on through night and did not stop after the first warning.
I hope that you can appreciate our side of the event and relate to some degree to the amount of inconvenience that your party may have caused to other paying guests.

Travelers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

First the good:
- Great location, short walk to harbour, museums, etc.
- Very friendly, helpful staff

Now the bad:
- The room was banged up, we got a suite and the wallpaper near the stove was burned, in other places it was damaged. The pictures of the rooms on the web page, looked much nicer.
- It had a pool, but it was very deep (10 ft at one end), not kid friendly at all.
- A bit pricy, we paid $190 per night and that was with a multi-night stay. We paid about the same price in Halifax for a much nicer hotel in a similary attractive location although I'm not sure if this hotel was overpriced or Charlottetown is more expensive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Majorca, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

It was a nice hotel. I would stay again the rooms were basic. The breakfast was very good!! The pool was a bit dirty it needed to be cleaned. Fitness room was very good!!
I was Pleased!!
PEI is beautiful!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank marshmellow123
charboneau, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
My name is Walter van Beek and I am the General Manager of the hotel.
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to comment on their stay in Charlottetown.
We just recently made a substantial investment in state of the art fitness equipment and it is nice to see that you were able to enjoy this new feature.
Our breakfast room has been completely renovated and we are receiving termendous feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to our beautiful island.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stay away from this property during construction, HAZARDOUS!!. I had returned after an initial bad stay to see how the property would have changed.... not much difference. The General Manager after speaking to him when I told him I had a rough stay emailed me to stay away from this property because I complained too much. Had to move rooms 3 times in one evening because their A/C wasnt working, the TV couldnt come on - Absolute let down. Then when I got a write back from Best Western asking in a survey form how was my stay- I was terrified to respond because the GM was very mean- its not worth the trouble.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends