Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Canada
“Cozy”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

After a long day and a late check in we entered this Jacuzzi tub suite and liked it immediately. Nice little kitchenette area, elegant furniture and very cozy feeling room had us feeling like at home. The staff was welcoming and helpful. The front desk receptionist even gave our child couple of apple juices to go. Thanks! :-)
Recommend to everybody visiting and staying at PEI.

Room Tip: Choose room with a jacuzzi tub- much nicer than their regular room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelllers2
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Travelllers 2,
It is great to hear that you were able to relax in our Jacuzzi Suite after a long day of traveling. The next time you visit I would suggest you try one of our themed family suites. These suites offer either a beach theme or our big city theme and the youngsters love them. We appreciate your choosing the Holiday Inn and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Island.

Thierry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was probably my third time staying at this hotel. This stay was with my daughter's ball team on June 22 with a "team rate" of $129 per night. As soon as I walked in the room I could tell the A/C was not working (this was approx 2:30pm in the afternoon). It was 28 degrees outside and hotter than that in the room. I informed the front desk immediately and was told they would get someone in right away to fix it. We left for the ball field and returned after a long day in the sun, at approx 9pm that night. Our room was still extremely hot and it was obvious the A/C was still not working. The first thing I did was check around the room for a note from the front desk to update me. There was no note and no message left on the phone. Another team parent informed me that 3-4 of our groups rooms had no A/C and they were told the whole unit had to be replaced. As well the hotel was full to capacity so we could not be moved to another room. There were 4 of us in our room who had spent a long hot day on the ball field so this was unacceptable. I went to the front desk and asked for a fan to at least circulate air in the room. She said she would try and find some and took my room #. Once again, I never heard a thing back from the front desk. We suffered through a long, hot night with no fan and no A/C. We could open our window a small amount, but underneath our room were smokers until about 2am. The smoke automatically drifted in our window along with the hot air from outside. As well we had to leave the curtains open to get any sort of breeze so our room was well lit all night due to the light outside our window. After a restless night, we got up at 6:30am as we could not sleep anyway due to the conditions in our room. We quickly decided we needed to get out of the room to some air conditioning that the free breakfast area would surely offer us. However to our dismay, there was no A/C in the breakfast area either and it was hotter than our room.

I have to say we were never so happy to leave this hotel on Sunday morning. Upon checkout the front desk did not mention the A/C to me at all. I had to bring it up and his answer was "oh you were one of those rooms". He then gave me $25 off my rate. So basically I still ended up paying $122.11 (incl tax) to stay in a sweltering hot room. This rate reduction was no where near enough for the uncomfortable stay we had. If the hotel had of supplied us with at least a fan in our room, then perhaps this would have been okay. I had stayed at the Super 8 down the road the night before for $100 a night that also had free breakfast, a pool AND air conditioning. I only switched hotels so my daughter could be with the rest of her team who were all staying at the Holiday Inn on Saturday night.

Just to also mention - during one of my stays at this same hotel a few years ago with my daughter's hockey team. During that stay, my room room did not receive maid service during a 2 night stay. I returned back to the hotel after being on the road all day to no toilet paper, no towels, overflowing garbage can, etc.

It is a shame, as this hotel is very nice and is in a great location, especially for teams. The rooms are clean and updated. The beds are comfy.

My biggest complaint about the whole situation (as I know on a Saturday night the Air Conditioning Unit was not going to get replaced): I would have thought as soon as they knew rooms were going to have to be without air conditioning on a very hot night that someone from the hotel would have purchased some fans for the rooms. As well, there was no communication to me at all from the front desk to update me on the situation.

I am usually travelling to PEI with sports teams 2-3 times a year. I will not recommend this for any of my kids sports teams again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has working A/C
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kristen P
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. I would like to apologize on behalf of my entire team for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay. I would like to assure you that your feedback has allowed me to take some necessary steps to ensure we do not find ourselves in the same situation during the next spell of unseasonably high temperatures. I have purchased three portable A/C units and multiple fans to ensure that should we find some of or A/C units break on a Saturday we do not have to leave our guests in discomfort while we try to contact a refrigeration repair company. I apologize for not having these items on hand during your recent stay and assure you they will be readily available for your next stay.

Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 19, 2013

average kind of hotel, room was ok, breakfast was good (but plastic and paper dishes, I hate it!!), the afternoon shift at the reception was "robotic", not friendly; the morning shift was ok, the location is quite far from the city center

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cojotent
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear you found our reception staff robotic. We pride ourselves on having great team members who continually go above and beyond to please our guests and ensure our guests feel like they are home when away from home. As a branded Holiday Inn property we do have very specific brand standards (steps and processes) that our front desk team has to follow while checking guests in and out of the hotel. I would like to assure you that we do not encourage our team to be robotic however we do stress the importance of following these branded procedures for every guest and perhaps that is why you found them to seem rehearsed while helping you. With respect to the cutlery and plates used at breakfast, once again we follow brand standards to the letter and the plates and cutlery we use are mandated by the brand. As I am sure you can understand, in a select service hotel offering complimentary breakfast to over 200 guests daily we simply can not keep up with the demand of washing china and cutlery. As I am sure you are aware, full service Holiday Inn hotels demand much higher nightly rates than do the Express Hotels and there is a cost for their breakfast. The additional room rate and the cost for breakfast allow full service hotels to have higher staffing levels which allow for real china, cutlery, and servers who take your order and serve your food. By eliminating these supplies and having a self serve breakfast we are able to offer much lower rates to our guests who understand the trade off.

Thierry Surette, General Manager - Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottetown
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 16, 2013

It's obvious that lots of money has been spent remodeling and updating the lobby and common areas of this older property. Those areas are beautifully done and quite appealing.The staff are super-friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is what you'll find at this brand everywhere. But the details make or break a property long-term, and someone isn't paying attention here. In my experience, "doors" were the common problem area. The outside entry to my lower-level room would not deadbolt because the bolt doesn't align. By lifting up on the entire door frame I could force the deadbolt into the slot for security. The door to the bathroom wouldn't close because the latch assembly was not set properly into the door, It was all protruding enough to prevent the door from fitting into the jamb. These are things that should be obvious to the housekeeping and maintenance crews during regular room activity, but have not been corrected. Finally, the main front entry door to this property are outdated and cumbersome when attempting to enter with luggage. They should be replaced with either automatic doors (wider) or with doors that are easier to open. Guests struggle constantly to negotiate the entry into this property with luggage, and it seems this would have been taken care of when the major lobby renovation was done. Competing Brands in this class do not have these kinds of problems, so I gave an average rating to this overall. The location on the north side of Charlottetown is fine, and I will reiterate my commendation of the courtesy and friendliness shown by the staff. You're almost there, Please go all the way to make this property worth the price paid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavidLou
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at the holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottetown. I do understand your concerns and assure you that our maintenance team is working diligently to repair the deficiencies you have pointed out. We have also secured quotes to have our entrance way upgraded to include automatic doors and a heated enclosure. I do appologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay and hope you are able to stay with us again in the future to experience the great changes that are taking place.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for three nights and we can truthfully say it was a very enjoyable experience. The staff are very friendly and helpful, there is plenty of safe parking, great TV channels (incl. all the major US TV networks). The hotel is very well maintained and clean, plus i is very quiet at night. it's a very short drive to downtown from here. We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our newly upgraded HD channel selections. I hope you had an opportunity to take advantage of some of the complimentary movie channels while you were here? If not, perhaps you will have an opportunity on your next vist. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn and we hope to see you soon.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Spacious room and bathroom. Liked the citrus shampoo! Very clean. Desk staff very knowledgeable and helpful. Cookies at check-in. Friendly. Hot Breakfast was well stocked and kept clean. Spacious dining area for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013
Great to hear that you enjoyed you home baked cookies. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our employees and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn. We hope to see you back soon!

Lexington, MA
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel the week of April 15th, 2013 while attending the funeral of my brother-in-law.
I am from Boston & travel a great deal throughout the States & the Maritimes. While all the staff,each & everyone were just wonderful, one employee, Lisa Forrestall stood out. I have never
met any service person as professional, warm, caring & just a delight to be around . My husband
& I were so very impressed with her. I am sure you realize how important she is to your hotel.
What a Lovely representative to have on board. Next time, I go to the Island, I would only stay at your hotel. All of your staff was lovely but Lisa was Exceptional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Once again we would like to express our sympathies for your loss. You are correct when you mention that we do appreciate everything Lisa does for our guests and her team. Lisa is a very intrigal part of the guest service experience at the Holiday Inn and we hope to have her leading the team for a very long time.