“Better Late than Never”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed here last summer for the Atlantic Canada International Airshow. I realized I had never posted a review so here goes. Upon our arrival, the manager was at the door, helping us unload our car. He quickly assigned a bellman to help us out. The location is convenient to Charlottetown and a bit of a drive to Sommerville, where the airshow was located. The hotel is a bit oddly laid out but after a short time, we found our way around. Turns out we were on the lower level, which was very convenient to the entrances other than the main lobby. My main impression was the attentiveness of the lobby staff and the manager. I understood he was new to the location and I sincerely hope his enthusiasm has not waned. Sorry for the late posting.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Exit 105,
You are absolutely correct; better late than never! It is always great to hear feedback and comments like yours definately help to motivate the team. Although I am no longer the new guy in town, the enthusiasm is still here and our team is more focused and stronger than ever. We hope you have an opportunity to visit again this summer and appreciate your kind words.

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed there 6th & 7th May, site of hotel great for touring all of the island. All staff very helpful and efficient. Rooms excellent. Breakfast varied and very sufficient for ones needs. Had a problem with our vehicle and housekeeping sorted our dilemma within five minutes. Staff above and beyond what you would expect - be nice to them.

Room Tip: if you want the window open ask for rooms at the back, if you like watching the traffic get room 319
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our team. It is great to hear that you found your room comfortable and relaxing. We hope you have an opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This appeared to be one of the better hotels in the area. I was there on business and liked it very much. Wifi was strong, lots of outlets. housekeeping forgot coffee, but they brought some up instantly. The breakfast was better than average. Staff was very friendly. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Charlottetown. I do appoligize for missing your coffee refresh and assure you that is not a regular occurance. I did discuss the matter with my executive housekeeper and have determined that during the change over to our new coffee machines we missed your room. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Charlottetown and we will ensure there is plenty of coffee in your room.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked two nights in April to visit with family. The room was good. It was clean, with two queen beds that were a good fit for my family. Free hot breakfast was good enough for us; I'm up early, was able to go down and bring some coffee and snacks back to our room while we all woke up. I wished we had a fridge in our room, and that there was more than one ice machine, but we did fine with our cooler.

On the negative side, we did not know there were some hockey tournaments going on and many teams were booked here. Just as one review said, kids were out later and security wasn't doing anything. These teams seemingly own the place. By 9:30 my seven year old was crabby because he was unable to sleep, as the kids raced up and down the halls like a herd of elephants, calling out to each other on the way to the pool. The 'chaperones' were sometimes as bad as the kids, spending time conferring in the hallway with kids about what to put on their pizzas the next day. Walls and doors between rooms and halls are very thin, you can hear every word (particularly when the speakers are making no effort to be quiet). One kid in a swimsuit knocked on our door fairly late, apparently confused about where he was supposed to be.

I will say that once we went to the front desk to complain, they were very apologetic and the noise stopped for a bit. I called again later, and again something was done, the noisy people were quieted for the night (with one parent admonishing the kids saying, "You're not supposed to play hockey in the halls!"). I commented on it again the next morning, and the staff, while somewhat sympathetic, agreed that the sports teams are indeed noisy, but that these teams are how they make their money in the off season.

Maybe it's better in the summer, but I doubt we'll come back to find out.

Room Tip: If you're with a kid who wants to be in the pool, a room near the back is good. Park back there...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HalifaxKD

Please let me begin by appologizing for your uncomfortable stay. Myself and my team at the Holiday Inn make every effort to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing stay in our hotel. I do understand your concerns and although we do make every effort to ensure that our guests are not disturbed by large groups in house sometimes the noise prevails. We do ask that all of our sport teams sign an agreement stating quiet time begins at 10pm and we do hire security to patrol our hallways to try and ensure that other guests are not disturbed. Once again I appologize for not meeting your expectations and do hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Charlottetown.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

What a great hotel! There's a lot of hotels around, but this is truly a place where they know what "hospitality" is all about. Excellent location and amenities, but mostly, I'd like to talk about the service. If you have the pleasure of meeting the General Manager, you'll see why the staff are so happy and helpful. The staff are all perfectly at ease and able to give EXCELLENT service because they are treated kindly, trained well, and especially well-selected. I travel a lot, and whether I'm on business or traveling with the whole family, this is a great place to stay. Breakfast is extensive, and the kids love the pool and the Family Suites, but it's truly the SERVICE that makes us come back again and again.

Room Tip: The family suites are fantastic for kids and parents alike.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for providing great feedback regarding your stay. We truely value our employees and I am happy to hear you do as welll. They consistently do a great job taking care of our guests and they enjoy doing so. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business trip for 3 nights. I booked the King Jacuzzi suite for my stay. The rooms are beautifully renovated. My only feedback for improvement would be:
-Curtains to be placed over the blinds in the room so the light does not come in as much
-Plugs to be placed in easier to access areas
-Instructions should be provided for the jacuzzi tub
-Fabric Softener needs to be used on the towels as they are very rough
Apart from that the rates were extremely reasonable and the room very comfortable, would definitely recommend and stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CoolCanuckChick
Thierry_Surette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for providing us with this excellent feedback regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn. It is great to experience our property from a guest perspective and it is great to have feedback with which to try and improve our offerings. We look forward to hearing any other suggestions you might have and hope you visit again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel really feels like Charlottetown. Inviting, friendly, homey. Its not particularly a new building, but the rooms are spacious (enough) and clean (enough). Its your standard Holiday Inn experience, really. Free parking is a bonus. I had a good night's sleep all 3 nights I was there, and it was quiet too. I like that my room had a fridge and microwave, which meant I didnt have to cram my lunches into a mini-bar fridge. The staff is very friendly. They have cookies at the front desk for a midnight snack, which is a nice touch.
The standard Holiday Inn breakfast is lack-lustre. Powdered eggs, sausages from a box, pancakes from a machine....but it did the trick.
It was just what I needed for my business in Charlottetown and I would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that the extra amenities we offer helped to make your stay more comfortable.

Kind Regards,