“Salad sandwich anyone?”

Cuisines: European, German, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Was here Jul. 30th. I walked into this very busy restaurant, and after waiting 5 mins. to be seated, sat myself at a stool at a window. I had ordered the HAM & CHEESE sandwich but it was basically just a sandwich with salad fixings! It came piled high with lettuce on it, so that's all I could taste! I opened up my sandwich and saw a thin slice of ham and thin slice of cheese. The owner asked how I liked it, as he was the one serving me, and I truthfully told him there was too much lettuce on it, and he said, "well then take it off"! He said the Island has lots of 'greens' now, so they like to use alot of it (I know he really meant that they use it for filler re. the bit of ham/cheese on it). Didn't I order a ham and cheese? A bit later, after serving a lady beside me, he stated, "next time you come you should order more ham on it"!! What! This was just an excuse, as this isn't a custom order sandwich place; it is a 'set' sandwich! I told him I didn't know there'd only be 1 slice of ham on a ham sandwich, and he stated that's all they put on their ham sandwiches!! My gosh!! It doesn't make sense!! So just to let people know, if you've got a taste for ham, which I did, don't order this sandwich, as you won't taste any ham, nor cheese, and the cost isn't worth it, with the inexpensive lettuce filler! The pic on their website shows more ham. The coffee was excellent; best part of my meal, so this made my rating better, for this meal. This place was busy and popular, as it was during the peak lunch period, and people were trying to find seating, and some people were trying to order at the counter (one family left as their wait was lengthy with people cashing out, and some ordering food, and they couldn't find a seat. Also, one woman left, as they had 'run out of' the Farmer's Market Casserole already, and I guess she just had a taste for that). I noticed all of this, as I kept listening, and turning around. I will probably give this eatery another try sometime, when I'm back visiting the Island, but I will try something else, that they can't skimp-out on!! My husband had been here before, and enjoyed his meal, but he and our kids weren't able to join me today;sailing.

2  Thank Jurora

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went twice while on pei. First foe a coffee and a pastry, then so impressed we went back for lunch.
Excellent surroundings, fantastic food, highly recommended for a coffee or lunch.
Very good value and generous helpings!!

1  Thank Lillywhites
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Pleasant, helpful staff who make great sandwiches. Good location near the main centre of town. Small patio but great for people watching. I intended having one of their sandwiches and a piece of the wonderful looking cakes that were on display. The daily sandwich special was so good and filling I had to miss the cake so I will be back.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stopped for breakfast here on our way out of Charlottetown. It has a great feel and lovely decor. It feels like a cottage, a beach, and a family room all rolled into one. The breakfast were very tasty, and each was served with a salad. Everything was local and homemade. The breakfasts are served with a small side salad of fresh greens, which is a lovely addition, and the omelets are customizable with quite a few options. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place for a nice leisurely breakfast. Oh, and I almost forgot...their coffee was amazing!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Bright, airy cafe. We went after the noon hour rush and were able to relax and enjoy excellent soup and sandwiches. The only white wine on the menu was a perfect choice. The ice coffees were very refreshing. Will return to try the delicious looking desserts.