“good location, but unpleasant atmosphere, you feel unwelcome”

Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #38 of 44 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was so excited for this B & B, having viewed photos and e-mailed with the owner. When we arrived, the place was so pretty and nicely done. Shortly thereafter, I got the distinct feeling that the woman who runs it was annoyed with us, she just seemed to dislike us and wish us gone. Had I done something to offend her? I watched at breakfast as she interacted with the other guests, and felt that she just disliked all people. She complained about our failing to switch off a hall light (we couldn't find the switch) she complained within ear shot that guests ate too much breakfast, she snapped at me something awful when I asked her if she knew when shops might open on Sunday morning and so on. She was just hostile and combative with everyone. It was extremely unpleasant and unwelcoming. Also, she tried multiple times to sell her tea room, her jewelry class and her scrapbooking services. I felt like I was being pushed at all times to buy things from her. This was also very unpleasant. PEI has many other places, and I'd highly recommend choosing another place. I expect a hostile response to this posting, which fits the attitude I encountered while at this B & B.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room upstairs with a nautical theme. It was nice and had a big closet, but it was rig...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank familytraveler068
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

I find it difficult to respond to reviews from people who hide behind pseudonyms; you can attempt to destroy an establishment's reputation with anonymity. However, let me address some of the issues you raised.

We operate a Bed and Breakfast because we like people. You feel we did something to make you feel unwelcome and wished us gone. Quite to the contrary, we wish our guests would stay longer so we can discuss with them previous day's adventures and make suggestions for more interesting things to do.

I cannot imagine snapping something awful about Sunday shopping. We are well aware of Sunday shopping rules in PEI and we inform our guests who ask that mots larger stores will not open until noon.

We would not operate a bed and breakfast in order to be "hostile and combative with everyone."

As for the tearoom, we mention it as we tour the house to make it clear to our guest that the tea room is in one area and the breakfast is served in another area. We only offer additional information to those who inquire and we do not try to "sell" the tearoom. I have no idea how you could have gotten that impression.

The same goes for the scrapbooking and seaglass. Yes we mention we have a gift shop like any business owner should. But we only offer additional information to those who demonstrate interest by asking additional questions.

I have no intention of being hostile in this review, as you suggest. I simply point out what we do and why we do it. Our objective is always to ensure a good customer experience.

Guy Cousineau, Owner

Reviewed August 12, 2013

When we first arrived no one answered the door. We rang again and Guy reluctantly arrived and opened the door, didn't greet us just led us inside to checkin. When he asked us what time we wanted breakfast it seemed to be the biggest inconvenience to him to provide us breakfast at 7AM, we had a ferry out at 9AM so we had to leave early. Later we talked to Cindy and said we would provide our own breakfast if it was going to be such an inconvenience but she demanded it wasn't and made up for Guy's reluctance. The house was charming and our rooms were comfortable. It would have been nice if we'd been given better directions about leaving our personal items in the bathroom and perhaps given a printout about the code on the door. Guy went over the codes so quickly it was hard to remember it, especially when you're traveling with two seniors. Overall it seemed to be a comfortable yet unfriendly, awkward stay. I'm giving this one star based on the hosts making us feel unwelcome.

Room Tip: You will probably share a bathroom with other travelers.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Hhruhling
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

I regret hearing your stay was not to your satisfaction. It seems you got off to a bad start expecting a quick answer to the doorbell. As you probably noticed after entering, we have a bg house and it sometimes takes a while to make our way to the front door.

As for the front door combination, many people make not of it on their phone or tablet upon entry. I usually ask if I need to write it down but it seems I forgot to ask you about it.

There must have been some misunderstanding about early breakfast. We often have guest requesting breakfast around 7 am either for a flight or to meet the Ferry Schedule. I can assure you that is not a problem and you might have misinterpreted my answer.

As for personal items in the bathroom, I always make ti a point to say "shared bathroom" when I show our guests around. Perhaps I incorrectly assumed that this is understood by our guests. Regardless, if guests leave personal items in the bathroom, we remind them discretely later or simply remove the items and place them int heir room.

I feel we did our best to ensure you had a good stay. It is unfortunate you feel differently.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I get there I was impressed! The breakfast was wonderful!! The rooms were clean and Cindy and Guy are incredibly kind and caring people. Always go out of the way to make you feel welcome and make your P.E.I experience amazing!! Thank you for the wonderful stay! If I am ever back, this is where you will find me!!!

• Stayed: August 2013

We always enjoy hearing that our guests had a wonderful stay. We keep guest books in each room and occasionally review the comments. Your encouraging words energize us and help us continually strive for excellence.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This B&B had spacious, quiet, and pretty rooms. The breakfast was really good; every day was something different. Guests were allowed to use a mini fridge, which was really useful. The door is locked with a combination key pad, so guests could come and go whenever they wanted to without disturbing anyone. We thought it felt more like a hostel than a B&B (which is certainly not a bad thing!). Sometimes the showers were cold, so shower early in the morning or in the evening! Our hosts were very accommodating; we had to leave very early in the morning and they still got up to make a full breakfast. They were eager to give us recommendations for places to see and to eat. They gave us updates about weather and always asked how our day went when we arrived back. We were sad that we didn't get a chance to use the tearoom, but there just wasn't time! It looked beautiful, though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We try to make our home as welcoming as possible with a few extra amenities and ambiance. I just wish you had mentioned about the hot water situation. While we have a high capacity water heater, sometimes we still need to remind our guests to consider others and conserve our natural resources.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have started this review several times and I end up going on and on. Suffice it to say there isn't enough space for me to say all the good things I'd like to about Cindy and Guy, their friendliness, their excellent service and their hospitality. My family returned from PEI one week ago and, already, I can't wait to go back. Although we stayed in Cavendish, we were at Cindy's shop more than once because of it's convenient location. Only minutes from the airport, Island made Gifts and Souvenirs was our first stop upon arriving in Charlottetown. I had seen Cindy's website and couldn't wait to get my hands on some of the beautiful PEI themed embellishments (including Green Gables, Cavendish, PEI sand, etc) she has created. Impressed with Cindy and Guy's warmth and kindness, we returned later in the week for what ended up being the highlight of my trip - an afternoon of tea, wire-wrapping sea glass and scrapbooking. Wearing hats from Cindy's impressive collection (great photo op), my father-in-law, my daughter and I made the difficult decision of selecting tea from the tea-sniffing bar (fun!). We were seated at a beautifully set table and served our delicious teas. Guy was quick to refill our individual teapots as needed. From blueberry scones (generous and mouth-watering) served with butter, home made jam and delectable clotted cream to the overflowing 3-tiered stand of fruit, desserts and finger sandwiches, every morsel was delicious. Cindy is a wonder in the kitchen! I enjoyed tea immensely and would have been happy if our afternoon had ended there, but it didn't. We moved on to a work area in Cindy's shop where she taught my daughter and I how to wire-wrap sea glass. With her help, we made 5 beautiful pendants - 3 as gifts and one each for ourselves. We've gotten so many compliments, I wish we had made several more (next time...). To top off the afternoon, my father-in-law, my daughter and I chose from a large selection of island photos Cindy and Guy have available (tough decision) and, using those great embellishments of Cindy's, we sat again at the work area and each scrapbooked a page with Cindy's guidance. We left Cindy and Guy's with yummy leftovers, beautiful jewellery and a page of PEI memories already scrapbooked. I also left with another bag of scrapbooking goodies - I couldn't resist - and hugs from Cindy. I felt more like a friend than a customer. Finally, Cindy and Guy went out of their way to be home the day my family left PEI. I had contacted Cindy to tell her I forgot to pick something up when I had been at the shop. Not a problem, she insisted. I told her what time we'd be heading to the airport and Cindy and Guy let me know they'd be home. I popped by to make my last purchase. My father-in-law informed me today that he would like to return to PEI next summer. I can't wait to visit Cindy and Guy again, to have tea, taste Cindy's scones, wrap sea glass and pick up any new embellishments she might have by then. Only 51 weeks to go... (Imagine, this is shorter than what I originally wrote.)

• Stayed: July 2013

Cindy and I are glad you enjoyed your tea and wire wrapping experience. Sometimes, taking a break and doing something fun and relaxing can be very fulfilling. It is also rewarding to bring home a homemade souvenir you made yourself.

While we cannot promise to have many new scrapbooking embellishments next year, we also look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Trailside B&B for 14 days/nights last May, and truly loved it there. Guy and Cindy both know a lot about the Island and we had many nice conversations during those days. Some evenings I had a talk with Cindy about living on the Island, I loved her honesty about that!

The room was clean, the bed slept wonderful and breakfast was jummie with fresh fruits and fresh wafels! Oh and the bread was homemade and very delicious!

The garden was beautiful to sit in, and the B&B was close to Charlottetown and all the nice roads for roadtrips. Got some great tips from them about places to see.

On my next trip to PEI I will defenitly stay at their B&B again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks for your kind words Tamara.

We particularly enjoy our guests who stay for several days. We can go over their previous day's experiences and add to our "best picks" for other guests. We also enjoy making suggestions on places to go and things to do.

We hope to see you back in PEI very soon.

Guy and CIndy

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Honestly, I wish I could give this B&B a good review but I never had a chance to even stay here.

The house itself was beautiful, with a gorgeous garden and lovely tea room, and it was located very close to Charlottetown which is convenient. (although on a busy road which detracts from its beauty because your view is a bunch of big box stores and gas stations)

Unfortunately, the customer service was terrible. I have no doubt that other people have had great experiences, but I feel that the hosts are unable to handle problems, conflict or criticism very well (For example, I am sure the hosts will come on here with a defensive reply to this review, like all the others,, which is fine, but it just makes you look petty)

Basically, there was a mixup with the reservations which was neither our fault NOR the hosts, but due to a thirdparty site priceline.com. We were a party of three, who (attempted/thought) we booked a room for three, but the room booked was for two. When this was discovered, instead of being accommodating, the hosts were extremely defensive and blamed our party even though we repeatedly told them we did NOT think it was not their fault. They were really condescending and rude, and did not make any effort to.understand our position as we simply just wanted to ensure we had a place to sleep as we had travelled from Halifax that morning.

Worst of all, Cindy blatantly lied to us in an effort to get rid of us. She originally told us she had a room upstairs available that had a single bed that wasn't currently available online for booking, so she could accommodate us by having two sleep in one room, the third in the other, and for a discounted price. Great. However, she then came back to us two minutes later and told us the room was booked. They also tried to get us to pay a cancellation fee of 50$ a night (we were supposed to stay for two), when the booking agency's policy is a thirty-dollar flat rate.

All in all, almost ruined our PEI experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank bhersc

I am sorry you had a bad start to your PEI holiday but I feel you are unfair in posting two negative reviews under two different names and blaming us for your mistakes.

You said " your view is a bunch of big box stores and gas stations". There are no big box stores for 3 kilometres. We also have a 1 acre lot covered in trees and gardens. From our back yard, there is nothing but nature. Yes the roadway in front is busy at times, but it is a city street with a reduced speed limit and pedestrian crosswalk directly in front of our house.

"Basically, there was a mixup with the reservations which was neither our fault NOR the hosts, but due to a thirdparty site priceline.com. We were a party of three, who (attempted/thought) we booked a room for three, but the room booked was for two." I am glad to hear you say now the mixup was not our fault. However, that was not your attitude when you were at the door. I checked the Priceline.com website and no where does the site ask for # of people in a party. In addition, you showed me your phone confirmation (same confirmation I received) confirming a reservation for two people. We had no idea you were a party of 3. We went on the defensive, as you say, because you insisted it was our fault.

"we simply just wanted to ensure we had a place to sleep" We understood that from the beginning. We took the time to help you find accommodations that would suite your party of 3 people and went looking for and printed a list of accommodations that had vacancy for 3 that evening. We also checked with a customer service agent at Booking.com to see what they had on inventory.

"Worst of all, Cindy blatantly lied to us in an effort to get rid of us." That is not true, we checked our availability and we offered you two rooms for the price of one. You said you had to think about it. After 20 minutes, we got a text message indicating the room had been booked on line.

"They also tried to get us to pay a cancellation fee of 50$ a night (we were supposed to stay for two), when the booking agency's policy is a thirty-dollar flat rate. " That was a mixup on our part. Our standard cancellation policy is $50 or one night stay. However, we made a special deal with booking.com for $30. That is not AGENCY policy, it is ours. That mistake was corrected immediately.

"They also do not accept credit cards and seem to.be unaware of their own online presence because they didn't even know the B&B was listed on priceline.com or that it was listed as accepting credit cards and this is an extremely popular website."

We do not accept credit cards. The on-line vacancy system has you book by using a credit card to confirm, it is part of their booking system on booking.com. The confirmation you received states under the heading of IMPORTANT INFORMATION that payment is in cash only. If you did not read your confirmation, you have only yourself to blame for being uninformed.

As far as where we are listed, there are hundreds of re-sellers and websites that offer inventories of vacation accommodations. It is impossible to know everywhere one is listed since most of these are unsolicited. Our listing contract is with booking.com. We know that they have several affiliates. We now know that one of them is priceline. We investigated the way that priceline functions and we do not find it user friendly: the main point being that it does not ask you for the number of people in your party (therefore presents you with rooms that do not fit your numbers). Furthermore it ALWAYS issues a confirmation for two people, again, not very client friendly.

We have made our observations to booking.com in the hopes they can exercise influence with their partners to provide a more client friendly interface for reservations.

I am happy you were able to find accommodations elsewhere with our help.

Guy