See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Trailside B&B for 14 days/nights last May, and truly loved it there. Guy and Cindy both know a lot about the Island and we had many nice conversations during those days. Some evenings I had a talk with Cindy about living on the Island, I loved her honesty about that!

The room was clean, the bed slept wonderful and breakfast was jummie with fresh fruits and fresh wafels! Oh and the bread was homemade and very delicious!

The garden was beautiful to sit in, and the B&B was close to Charlottetown and all the nice roads for roadtrips. Got some great tips from them about places to see.

On my next trip to PEI I will defenitly stay at their B&B again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks for your kind words Tamara.

We particularly enjoy our guests who stay for several days. We can go over their previous day's experiences and add to our "best picks" for other guests. We also enjoy making suggestions on places to go and things to do.

We hope to see you back in PEI very soon.

Guy and CIndy

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Honestly, I wish I could give this B&B a good review but I never had a chance to even stay here.

The house itself was beautiful, with a gorgeous garden and lovely tea room, and it was located very close to Charlottetown which is convenient. (although on a busy road which detracts from its beauty because your view is a bunch of big box stores and gas stations)

Unfortunately, the customer service was terrible. I have no doubt that other people have had great experiences, but I feel that the hosts are unable to handle problems, conflict or criticism very well (For example, I am sure the hosts will come on here with a defensive reply to this review, like all the others,, which is fine, but it just makes you look petty)

Basically, there was a mixup with the reservations which was neither our fault NOR the hosts, but due to a thirdparty site priceline.com. We were a party of three, who (attempted/thought) we booked a room for three, but the room booked was for two. When this was discovered, instead of being accommodating, the hosts were extremely defensive and blamed our party even though we repeatedly told them we did NOT think it was not their fault. They were really condescending and rude, and did not make any effort to.understand our position as we simply just wanted to ensure we had a place to sleep as we had travelled from Halifax that morning.

Worst of all, Cindy blatantly lied to us in an effort to get rid of us. She originally told us she had a room upstairs available that had a single bed that wasn't currently available online for booking, so she could accommodate us by having two sleep in one room, the third in the other, and for a discounted price. Great. However, she then came back to us two minutes later and told us the room was booked. They also tried to get us to pay a cancellation fee of 50$ a night (we were supposed to stay for two), when the booking agency's policy is a thirty-dollar flat rate.

All in all, almost ruined our PEI experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank bhersc

I am sorry you had a bad start to your PEI holiday but I feel you are unfair in posting two negative reviews under two different names and blaming us for your mistakes.

You said " your view is a bunch of big box stores and gas stations". There are no big box stores for 3 kilometres. We also have a 1 acre lot covered in trees and gardens. From our back yard, there is nothing but nature. Yes the roadway in front is busy at times, but it is a city street with a reduced speed limit and pedestrian crosswalk directly in front of our house.

"Basically, there was a mixup with the reservations which was neither our fault NOR the hosts, but due to a thirdparty site priceline.com. We were a party of three, who (attempted/thought) we booked a room for three, but the room booked was for two." I am glad to hear you say now the mixup was not our fault. However, that was not your attitude when you were at the door. I checked the Priceline.com website and no where does the site ask for # of people in a party. In addition, you showed me your phone confirmation (same confirmation I received) confirming a reservation for two people. We had no idea you were a party of 3. We went on the defensive, as you say, because you insisted it was our fault.

"we simply just wanted to ensure we had a place to sleep" We understood that from the beginning. We took the time to help you find accommodations that would suite your party of 3 people and went looking for and printed a list of accommodations that had vacancy for 3 that evening. We also checked with a customer service agent at Booking.com to see what they had on inventory.

"Worst of all, Cindy blatantly lied to us in an effort to get rid of us." That is not true, we checked our availability and we offered you two rooms for the price of one. You said you had to think about it. After 20 minutes, we got a text message indicating the room had been booked on line.

"They also tried to get us to pay a cancellation fee of 50$ a night (we were supposed to stay for two), when the booking agency's policy is a thirty-dollar flat rate. " That was a mixup on our part. Our standard cancellation policy is $50 or one night stay. However, we made a special deal with booking.com for $30. That is not AGENCY policy, it is ours. That mistake was corrected immediately.

"They also do not accept credit cards and seem to.be unaware of their own online presence because they didn't even know the B&B was listed on priceline.com or that it was listed as accepting credit cards and this is an extremely popular website."

We do not accept credit cards. The on-line vacancy system has you book by using a credit card to confirm, it is part of their booking system on booking.com. The confirmation you received states under the heading of IMPORTANT INFORMATION that payment is in cash only. If you did not read your confirmation, you have only yourself to blame for being uninformed.

As far as where we are listed, there are hundreds of re-sellers and websites that offer inventories of vacation accommodations. It is impossible to know everywhere one is listed since most of these are unsolicited. Our listing contract is with booking.com. We know that they have several affiliates. We now know that one of them is priceline. We investigated the way that priceline functions and we do not find it user friendly: the main point being that it does not ask you for the number of people in your party (therefore presents you with rooms that do not fit your numbers). Furthermore it ALWAYS issues a confirmation for two people, again, not very client friendly.

We have made our observations to booking.com in the hopes they can exercise influence with their partners to provide a more client friendly interface for reservations.

I am happy you were able to find accommodations elsewhere with our help.

Guy

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I was in Charlottetown on Saturday and went into Scrap'n and Wire Wrap'n and bought a piece of sea glass for $10 and Cindy sat down with me one on one and showed me how to create a beautiful pendant. When I got up this morning I created 3 more pieces with the stuff i bought. I would recommend the sea glass class on a heart beat. I will continue creating this jewelry with what ever I can find.

• Stayed: July 2013

I am glad you enjoy your seaglass pendant. Now you are creating your own treasures. I hope you are successful in finding seaglass elsewhere to continue your new hobby.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We arrived back on PEI for the summer and on our first trip out went back to visit Cindy and Guy's Grandma's Tea Room & Gifts. It is one of my favorite stops and we always receive a super warm welcome from two wonderful people. Love the choices of tea and the scones are the best I have ever had. We are going to be bringing our company there when they arrive and our island friends as well because I really want them to experience the tea room and gift shop. Everything was perfect. The gift shop has even more than it did before and the sea glass jewelry is fantastic, you need to see her work! I can tell you that I will recommend this place to anyone planning on visiting PEI. Thank you Cindy and Guy for a great start to our summer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

It was good to see you again Cynthia. We always like to make a few additions for our returning guests. This year we are featuring 3 new teas we hope our customers will enjoy as much as we do. Let us know when you want to book a tea party.

Guy

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Cindy &Guy are very friendly and accommodating. It was easy to book, easy to find, and very cozy. It is bike friendly, and there is a lovely trail right next door. The garden is beautiful and they have a nice assortment of island crafts available. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us Erin. Whether for one day or several, we enjoy talking to our guests about their experiences and travel plans. We also enjoy doing a few extras for our cycling guests.