“The highlight of my PEI vacation!”

and 1 more site!
Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #37 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have started this review several times and I end up going on and on. Suffice it to say there isn't enough space for me to say all the good things I'd like to about Cindy and Guy, their friendliness, their excellent service and their hospitality. My family returned from PEI one week ago and, already, I can't wait to go back. Although we stayed in Cavendish, we were at Cindy's shop more than once because of it's convenient location. Only minutes from the airport, Island made Gifts and Souvenirs was our first stop upon arriving in Charlottetown. I had seen Cindy's website and couldn't wait to get my hands on some of the beautiful PEI themed embellishments (including Green Gables, Cavendish, PEI sand, etc) she has created. Impressed with Cindy and Guy's warmth and kindness, we returned later in the week for what ended up being the highlight of my trip - an afternoon of tea, wire-wrapping sea glass and scrapbooking. Wearing hats from Cindy's impressive collection (great photo op), my father-in-law, my daughter and I made the difficult decision of selecting tea from the tea-sniffing bar (fun!). We were seated at a beautifully set table and served our delicious teas. Guy was quick to refill our individual teapots as needed. From blueberry scones (generous and mouth-watering) served with butter, home made jam and delectable clotted cream to the overflowing 3-tiered stand of fruit, desserts and finger sandwiches, every morsel was delicious. Cindy is a wonder in the kitchen! I enjoyed tea immensely and would have been happy if our afternoon had ended there, but it didn't. We moved on to a work area in Cindy's shop where she taught my daughter and I how to wire-wrap sea glass. With her help, we made 5 beautiful pendants - 3 as gifts and one each for ourselves. We've gotten so many compliments, I wish we had made several more (next time...). To top off the afternoon, my father-in-law, my daughter and I chose from a large selection of island photos Cindy and Guy have available (tough decision) and, using those great embellishments of Cindy's, we sat again at the work area and each scrapbooked a page with Cindy's guidance. We left Cindy and Guy's with yummy leftovers, beautiful jewellery and a page of PEI memories already scrapbooked. I also left with another bag of scrapbooking goodies - I couldn't resist - and hugs from Cindy. I felt more like a friend than a customer. Finally, Cindy and Guy went out of their way to be home the day my family left PEI. I had contacted Cindy to tell her I forgot to pick something up when I had been at the shop. Not a problem, she insisted. I told her what time we'd be heading to the airport and Cindy and Guy let me know they'd be home. I popped by to make my last purchase. My father-in-law informed me today that he would like to return to PEI next summer. I can't wait to visit Cindy and Guy again, to have tea, taste Cindy's scones, wrap sea glass and pick up any new embellishments she might have by then. Only 51 weeks to go... (Imagine, this is shorter than what I originally wrote.)

• Stayed: July 2013
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Cindy and I are glad you enjoyed your tea and wire wrapping experience. Sometimes, taking a break and doing something fun and relaxing can be very fulfilling. It is also rewarding to bring home a homemade souvenir you made yourself.

While we cannot promise to have many new scrapbooking embellishments next year, we also look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Trailside B&B for 14 days/nights last May, and truly loved it there. Guy and Cindy both know a lot about the Island and we had many nice conversations during those days. Some evenings I had a talk with Cindy about living on the Island, I loved her honesty about that!

The room was clean, the bed slept wonderful and breakfast was jummie with fresh fruits and fresh wafels! Oh and the bread was homemade and very delicious!

The garden was beautiful to sit in, and the B&B was close to Charlottetown and all the nice roads for roadtrips. Got some great tips from them about places to see.

On my next trip to PEI I will defenitly stay at their B&B again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks for your kind words Tamara.

We particularly enjoy our guests who stay for several days. We can go over their previous day's experiences and add to our "best picks" for other guests. We also enjoy making suggestions on places to go and things to do.

We hope to see you back in PEI very soon.

Guy and CIndy

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Honestly, I wish I could give this B&B a good review but I never had a chance to even stay here.

The house itself was beautiful, with a gorgeous garden and lovely tea room, and it was located very close to Charlottetown which is convenient. (although on a busy road which detracts from its beauty because your view is a bunch of big box stores and gas stations)

Unfortunately, the customer service was terrible. I have no doubt that other people have had great experiences, but I feel that the hosts are unable to handle problems, conflict or criticism very well (For example, I am sure the hosts will come on here with a defensive reply to this review, like all the others,, which is fine, but it just makes you look petty)

Basically, there was a mixup with the reservations which was neither our fault NOR the hosts, but due to a thirdparty site priceline.com. We were a party of three, who (attempted/thought) we booked a room for three, but the room booked was for two. When this was discovered, instead of being accommodating, the hosts were extremely defensive and blamed our party even though we repeatedly told them we did NOT think it was not their fault. They were really condescending and rude, and did not make any effort to.understand our position as we simply just wanted to ensure we had a place to sleep as we had travelled from Halifax that morning.

Worst of all, Cindy blatantly lied to us in an effort to get rid of us. She originally told us she had a room upstairs available that had a single bed that wasn't currently available online for booking, so she could accommodate us by having two sleep in one room, the third in the other, and for a discounted price. Great. However, she then came back to us two minutes later and told us the room was booked. They also tried to get us to pay a cancellation fee of 50$ a night (we were supposed to stay for two), when the booking agency's policy is a thirty-dollar flat rate.

All in all, almost ruined our PEI experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank bhersc

I am sorry you had a bad start to your PEI holiday but I feel you are unfair in posting two negative reviews under two different names and blaming us for your mistakes.

You said " your view is a bunch of big box stores and gas stations". There are no big box stores for 3 kilometres. We also have a 1 acre lot covered in trees and gardens. From our back yard, there is nothing but nature. Yes the roadway in front is busy at times, but it is a city street with a reduced speed limit and pedestrian crosswalk directly in front of our house.

"Basically, there was a mixup with the reservations which was neither our fault NOR the hosts, but due to a thirdparty site priceline.com. We were a party of three, who (attempted/thought) we booked a room for three, but the room booked was for two." I am glad to hear you say now the mixup was not our fault. However, that was not your attitude when you were at the door. I checked the Priceline.com website and no where does the site ask for # of people in a party. In addition, you showed me your phone confirmation (same confirmation I received) confirming a reservation for two people. We had no idea you were a party of 3. We went on the defensive, as you say, because you insisted it was our fault.

"we simply just wanted to ensure we had a place to sleep" We understood that from the beginning. We took the time to help you find accommodations that would suite your party of 3 people and went looking for and printed a list of accommodations that had vacancy for 3 that evening. We also checked with a customer service agent at Booking.com to see what they had on inventory.

"Worst of all, Cindy blatantly lied to us in an effort to get rid of us." That is not true, we checked our availability and we offered you two rooms for the price of one. You said you had to think about it. After 20 minutes, we got a text message indicating the room had been booked on line.

"They also tried to get us to pay a cancellation fee of 50$ a night (we were supposed to stay for two), when the booking agency's policy is a thirty-dollar flat rate. " That was a mixup on our part. Our standard cancellation policy is $50 or one night stay. However, we made a special deal with booking.com for $30. That is not AGENCY policy, it is ours. That mistake was corrected immediately.

"They also do not accept credit cards and seem to.be unaware of their own online presence because they didn't even know the B&B was listed on priceline.com or that it was listed as accepting credit cards and this is an extremely popular website."

We do not accept credit cards. The on-line vacancy system has you book by using a credit card to confirm, it is part of their booking system on booking.com. The confirmation you received states under the heading of IMPORTANT INFORMATION that payment is in cash only. If you did not read your confirmation, you have only yourself to blame for being uninformed.

As far as where we are listed, there are hundreds of re-sellers and websites that offer inventories of vacation accommodations. It is impossible to know everywhere one is listed since most of these are unsolicited. Our listing contract is with booking.com. We know that they have several affiliates. We now know that one of them is priceline. We investigated the way that priceline functions and we do not find it user friendly: the main point being that it does not ask you for the number of people in your party (therefore presents you with rooms that do not fit your numbers). Furthermore it ALWAYS issues a confirmation for two people, again, not very client friendly.

We have made our observations to booking.com in the hopes they can exercise influence with their partners to provide a more client friendly interface for reservations.

I am happy you were able to find accommodations elsewhere with our help.

Guy

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I was in Charlottetown on Saturday and went into Scrap'n and Wire Wrap'n and bought a piece of sea glass for $10 and Cindy sat down with me one on one and showed me how to create a beautiful pendant. When I got up this morning I created 3 more pieces with the stuff i bought. I would recommend the sea glass class on a heart beat. I will continue creating this jewelry with what ever I can find.

• Stayed: July 2013

I am glad you enjoy your seaglass pendant. Now you are creating your own treasures. I hope you are successful in finding seaglass elsewhere to continue your new hobby.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We arrived back on PEI for the summer and on our first trip out went back to visit Cindy and Guy's Grandma's Tea Room & Gifts. It is one of my favorite stops and we always receive a super warm welcome from two wonderful people. Love the choices of tea and the scones are the best I have ever had. We are going to be bringing our company there when they arrive and our island friends as well because I really want them to experience the tea room and gift shop. Everything was perfect. The gift shop has even more than it did before and the sea glass jewelry is fantastic, you need to see her work! I can tell you that I will recommend this place to anyone planning on visiting PEI. Thank you Cindy and Guy for a great start to our summer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

It was good to see you again Cynthia. We always like to make a few additions for our returning guests. This year we are featuring 3 new teas we hope our customers will enjoy as much as we do. Let us know when you want to book a tea party.

Guy

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Cindy &Guy are very friendly and accommodating. It was easy to book, easy to find, and very cozy. It is bike friendly, and there is a lovely trail right next door. The garden is beautiful and they have a nice assortment of island crafts available. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us Erin. Whether for one day or several, we enjoy talking to our guests about their experiences and travel plans. We also enjoy doing a few extras for our cycling guests.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This B&B is nice, well furnished and clean. The breakfast was good. However, the owners are truly rude and abrasive, which is really unpleasant in a setting as intimate as a Bed and Breakfast. From the moment we arrived we felt unwelcome and uncomfortable and this coldness lasted right through checkout. They are easily frustrated and will make it abundantly clear to you when they are.

Its a good place to rest your head for the night, but if you're planning on spending any significant time at your B&B there are plenty of friendly, warm and welcoming B&B owners on the island.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Amanda W
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I'm sorry you were displeased Amanda. You arrived here with a reservation for 2 people made via a booking.com affiliate. You were 3 people and it was impossible to accommodate you in the room you had booked. We did our best to help you find other accommodations. We even offered you two rooms at a discounted price. Still that was not enough. You insisted we had made the mistake even though your email confirmation you had on your phone clearly stated a reservation for two people.

I am happy that you found suitable accommodations elsewhere.