“The FULL PEI experience!!!”

Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #37 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
NB
“The FULL PEI experience!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a BnB.
If you need a hostel (ultra cheap) or a Hotel (central, standard, impersonnal, etc.) please click away.
Otherwise: Wow, this was great! Clean beds, clean rooms, attention to details, friendly hosts, breakfast with fruits, eggs, toasts, yogurt, tea, etc. I travelled with both my parents so we had a small guest room for 3 (2 beds)(99$/night for the room) and we shared a bathroom. The beds were excellent quality, the environnement very quiet, and I felt taken care of.
BUT THE REAL KICK though is that the Cousineau's, our hosts, were all about giving us advice about the island, teaching guests how to make, like islanders, jewellery from seaglass (that they advised us to pick in Souris and North Carleton), scrapbooking, really good victorian high tea -with hats to wear and cute decorum-, and a charming garden. I'd say THAT made a difference.
The location is out of town so if you are walking it might be complicated BUT for drivers it is good because 1)You are on Malpeque which is Hwy2 (it changes name in Winsloe) and it makes travelling around the island easy and 2)If you bring your bike you are right on the Island Trail (the transcanadian trail).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RichNB
PEIsland's_Girl, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Tanks Rich for the honest review. I like the way you pointed out the cost and location in an appropriate way. We pride ourselves in offering quality accommodations at affordable prices. We also enjoy giving travel tips to our guests and hearing about their adventures the next morning during breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We did not feel welcome here: the Lady (the owner) seemed to us always very nervous. I don't even want to remember and to write down all the situations that she made feel us so un-wanted. Just arrived and you will be told about a lot of rules to follow. I did not relax a minute here: always thinking about all the rules and fearing about mistakes I could have done, and her admonition, as a child (as others have written!)...and I'm 34!
Her husband, on the other side, was more kind: talked with us and gave some info about places.
You have to wear their "home shoes" everytime you enter the B&B, even if yours are clean, that I felt so uncomfortable. They do not accept credit card.
This place is clean and very very cheap - rooms and bath are what you are paying for. Breakfast is good and the private garden should be beautiful, but we never stayed in due to the owner's attitude.
Anyway I read some very good reviews on Tripadvisor, and some others complaining about the owner rudeness, as mine: maybe she has different behaviour depending on her feeling with the guests...!
As in my opinion, the feeling with the hosts is the most important thing, I would not suggest this place to anyone: we stayed at different B&B/hotels this summer in Canada and this was the worst experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank edna1
PEIsland's_Girl, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I am sorry Edna that you did not have a good visit. It seems you were upset about our rules to wear "house shoes" and keep the doors closed. In Canada we have many flies; when we also have a tea room (restaurant), it is important to keep flies out. Also, Prince Edward Island is known for its RED MUD. The reason the earth is red is because of IRON (Ferro). We ask people to wear house shoes to avoid rust(ruggine) stains.

We operate a bed and breakfast because we love people. We like to talk to our guests during their stay to hear they are having a good holiday and to make suggestions for places to go and things to see.

I can only propose that differences in culture and language may have made you uncomfortable - it was not our intention.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Things got off to the wrong foot from the start. The first issue arose because the check-in times were not advertised accurately on the booking website. (We arrived at 4:15pm, within the advertised 2-9 pm, to a note on the door that stated that check-in times were 2-4 pm and 7-9pm). We had theatre tickets for that evening. We contacted the hosts promptly and explained the situation. It was discussed that we would check-in after the show ended. However, when we arrived, we were received rather abruptly. Breakfast proved to be just as awkward. We were told our breakfast was at 8. When we arrived, it was difficult to discern who were the other guests and who were the hosts. No one acknowledged us or offered introductions and conversation was very strained. We were treated like children. We are all young professionals (in our late 20's and early 30's) in the public sector and found the interactions and offhand comments very unprofessional and agist.
We did not feel very welcome during our stay and got the distinct impression from the hosts that we were imposing. This was in contrast to service that some of the other guests received. This bed and breakfast lacks the Atlantic hospitality we have come to know.

Some advice:
1) Double-check the check-in time with the hosts to avoid confusion and misadventure
2) Consider carefully before booking here if you are younger. This may be a better place for
families and older couples.

We will not be recommending this bed and breakfast anytime soon.

1 Thank LBalakrishnan2007
I am sorry to hear you were upset about the check-in times. We have raised the issue with booking.com. I believe we mentioned we are a new establishment with booking.com and we are finding a few glitches in our listing.

We have also found that some people do not read the entire "listing". You would have seen "no credit card required to make a booking" which is not the same as "we do not accept credit cards". However, the method of payment (cash only) is clearly indicated on the listing in booking.com. There are many bed and Breakfast that operate on cash only. Especially for seasonal businesses, the cost of maintaining a credit card system year round can be prohibitive.

Age has nothing to do with the way we treat our guests. We enjoy talking to all our guests and do our best to ensure everyone has a good time. I specifically recall having conversations with the three people in your party during breakfast, including tips on where to go and directions to your destination.

While I cannot deny the way you feel, I also feel that I did my best to make you feel welcome as we do for all our other guests.
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I would just like to say that the Trailside B&B is by far the best Bed and Breakfast I've visited in a long while. Cindy's Sea Glass jewelry making is something everyone woman and girl should experience!! The owners were so helpful, they know the area well and have lots of wonderful stories and information to share about PEI. I recommend everyone pays them a special visit!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this B&B!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the top floors are quiet and beds are comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks Poppy for taking the time to write a review. The sea glass wrapping is a new activity started late last year. It has been a very popular experience - I made my own piece of jewellery from a piece of sea glass found on Prince Edward Island.

We also like to share our tips on where to go and things to do - even where to find sea glass.

I hope we have the opportunity to meet again.
Antigonish, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I, and four good friends, stopped in at Grandma's Tea Room this past weekend. We had the full experience--hats, tea sniffing, scones, sandwiches, and sweets. They were able to accommodate both my vegetarianism and my friend's Celiac Disease--no small feat! I am not a tea drinker, and my friends dragged me there in hopes of changing that. They just might have succeeded! After our lovely and relaxed lunch, we stopped by the gift shop and I purchased a beautiful little vase. Our hosts were hospitable with good senses of humour and a genuine eagerness to please. Highly recommended--even for my fellow coffee fanatics!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
It was a pleasure to greet your group in the tea room. Although we also serve coffee, we encourage even the coffee drinkers to experiment with our tea varieties - the tea sniffing bar is a great way to explore new flavours and pick the perfect tea.

I have also done my own experimenting to come up with a good gluten free scone and GF sweets to accompany the tea experience. We have good resources here at the "Bulk Barn" that has an abundant selection of GF ingredients and recipes.

At Grandma's Tearoom, we do our best to accommodate all our guests' needs.
Ladysmith, BC
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We booked our reservation long before our arrival and several emails about helpful information was above average. I knew before we arrived it would be a wonderful stay. Once we arrived it was a up lifting experience for both of us. The hosts were as good as it gets in every respect. Once we were greeted and shown around, we were already in heaven. We got up the first morning ( what wonderful beds to sleep on) to find the best breakfast and all so fresh and home made. There is no restaurant that would ever come close to this quality of food. We spent a bit of time chatting and got so much help about the Island, where to go and what to do. Over the three days we watched as Cindy and Guy helped all the guest and some of them a lot more than any hotel/motel would. If I return to the Island for any reason, this is where I will always stay. Not only is the price excellant but the service was way above average. Thank you so much for all you did for us.
Did I mention that that the food was awsome!! And that is coming from a Chef!!
If you want the best place to stay and eat thebest homemade food, stay here please.

Room Tip: I do not think it will matter what room you stay in, it is a home of quality.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks Paul for the high praise (from a chef no doubt). We pride ourselves on provident a comfortable night's sleep (our beds are our business) and a good breakfast.

It is also a pleasure to help people staying a few days with suggestions on places to go and to recap their previous day's adventures
Reviewed August 13, 2012

What can I say about Cindy and Her Sea Glass Jewelry but WOW so BEAUTIFUL....we had a fantastic time visiting her Gift Shop. She teaches you how to make the jewelry or you can purchase some beautiful pieces that she has already made.. I did both, I could not resist purchasing some that she made, they are so beautiful and it was so hard to chose which one I loved the best so I bought 4. My thirteen year old daughters and I, also made some of our own, if you find Sea Glass you can bring it with you or Cindy has a treasure chest full of glass to chose from. She sits with you and shows you what to do to make a beautiful piece of your own, it takes about 20 minutes or so. We loved every minute of our time there and would definitely go back again. Thank you so much for the lovely memories and our new cherished necklaces....your work is beyond words absolutely Beautiful....A MUST DO place to visit for Sea glass and the owners are fantastic....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family