“Very Nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Glendenning Hall
Waterloo, Canada
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We recently stayed at Holland College for a one night stopover in Charlottetown. We have stayed in many college/university residences and this one is one of the better ones. It is clean and comfortable. We had a 2 bedroom unit each with double bed, air conditioner and TV. My daughter and I walked to the downtown area in about 10 minutes or so. There is a nice little playground right beside it. Parking is close, just across the street. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would recommend Holland College- Glendinning Hall and I would stay again if in Charlottetown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank WoodYukon
Traceycfrompei, General Manager at Glendenning Hall, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Than you so much for your kind words! We appreciate the positive feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed for a night - for Charlottetown; compared to hotels, this place is reasonable for a night's stay with free parking just opposite the premises. Friendly staff, rooms are with A/C and bathroom is clean and beds are OK, but linen was not. There is only wired internet and no WiFi. Though we stayed in a 4 guests unit, it had only a small table in the kitchen with two chairs. Breakfast is bare minimum, not that good. But for the price, it's fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bobans
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We certainly appreciate your feedback and we hope to have you stay with us again in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights and found it really comfortable, in a great location and very helpful staff. So affordable I will recommend it to anyone wanting a budget yet excellent stay in Charlottetown. There is also breakfast included every morning between 7-930!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Stethescope
Traceycfrompei, General Manager at Glendenning Hall, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words and your recommendation are very much appreciated! We hope to see you again soon.
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is inexpensive lodging apartment-style, good value for your money. They offer 2 and 3 bedroom apartments with one bathroom and a small kitchen.The table in the kitchen is more like a counter top with high chairs. Not a lot of room in there, and in the 3 bedroom apartment, there were 3 kitchen chairs. Each bedroom has a tv. The bathroom includes a sink in a separate alcove, a bathtub in a separate tiny room, and a toilet in another separate room. This maximises the number of people able to simultaneously do bathroom business.
The apartment was clean. No carpet,just hardwood floors. There was a laundry room on our floor.
The continental breakfast consisted of toast, bagels with butter or cream cheese, packaged bran muffins, juice, coffee, tea. That's it.
It's an easy walk to Confederation Centre. No need to drag your car around. Parking for this hotel is in a lot across the street. You get a pass from the front desk.
Economically, this is worth it. The place was full the night we were there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank deweybelle
Traceycfrompei, General Manager at Glendenning Hall, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for submitting a review. We really appreciate your kind words and we look forward to having you stay with us again sometime soon!
Oakville, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

One night was enough! Accommodation is extremely basic - we stayed in a two bedroom unit on the ground floor -117 - it was dark, depressing, so noisy (next to the elevator room (that hissed and clanked every time anyone road the elevator). And between 7 and 8 am on Saturday morning that noise repeated 16 times because I counted!. Then there was the noise from the people in the unit above on Friday night until that family settled down around midnight. Beds were hard and low to the ground. No bedside lamps. Good tV's in both bedrooms. No Wifi in the units.

Even if it had been the quietest unit in the building I would still never chose to stay there again. I have never stayed in a prison environment in my life - but I would think these rooms are similar to what "open" prison quarters are like. A small kitchen in the unit with fridge, stove and microwave - but completely empty kitchen cupboards - no cutlery, plates, cups, cooking utensils etc- completely empty apart from two small plastic glasses on the counter. No tissues in the bathroom - just one roll of toilet paper, four towels and two face clothes, miniature soap and shampoo. A lounge where light breakfast is served is where the you can hook onto wifi.

So depressing we couldn't wait to leave - not good accommodation regardless of the cost. Should list themselves as a hostel, because the description they give to would be visitors is extremely misleading.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pauline4083
Traceycfrompei, General Manager at Glendenning Hall, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are a 2.5 star student residence and however, we pride ourselves in providing simple, clean, affordable rooms in downtown Charlottetown, with friendly and helpful staff. We do have kitchen supplies to lend out, as the person who checked you in should have told you and I apologize that they did not. We also make note of that in our welcome letter that is left in the kitchen of each unit.
You are correct, we do not offer wifi in the individual rooms, but we do have it in the six lounges in the building. I also apologize that you found your room noisy, I have not been told that before by summer guests or students, but I will look into that in case there is something that needs to be adjusted with the elevator.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I happened to stay at this place during the weekend of the Cavendish Beach Festival. I had booked a 2 bedroom apartment. For the price, the place is decent. The interiors are just okay, but there is not AC in the kitchen/living area. The common area which has a Foosball and Air Hockey table doesn't have an AC too which isn't good.The beds are smaller if plan to share it.

There is no wireless internet in the apartments, but I was able to catch the one from the common area. They serve Continental breakfast which is a good thing.

The waterfront and other Downtown areas are minutes away which is a good thing.

They charge you $15 if you lose you room access key, which is not the case in bigger hotels. Parking is free but across the street.

I would recommend this place if you don't have deep pockets and can overlook the few glitches mentioned here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Traceycfrompei, General Manager at Glendenning Hall, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review – we appreciate your feedback!
We have taken your advice, and we have installed an air conditioner in the Foosball and Air Hockey common room. We do charge $10 for lost keys, simply because that is what we pay for them and as you can imagine, it gets quite expensive to replace them frequently. Perhaps larger hotels factor that cost in their rates but we try to keep our nightly rates as low as possible.
I hope that you will stay with us again when you return to Charlottetown.
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I just retd. from 3 days at the Glenndenning and we might try it again.The location is a 12-15 min. walk to the downtown tourist area,which is awesome.It is reasonable($99. per night for a 2 bdrm apt) It is spotless and super clean.Also,continental breakfast is free and included-average continental bkft.
However,I was a little underwhelmed when I went inside the apt,as it has no living room. If you look on the website,it shows a beautiful livingroom with leather chairs and a wall mounted TV...I "assumed" it was in the room...never assume. That picture is actually of the lounge at the end of the hall,for all guests to share.It was WAY too hot to enjoy that room,as it has no air conditioning. It is the room with the only WIFI. The rooms have internet ,but only if you plug into the modem(can't do that with our cell phones) So, in the evening,the only place to sit and relax was at the small kitchen table or on the bed where the TV is,in the bedrooms.
The other area of concern is that it advertises a "full kitchen with appliances" Again,never assume that would include a coffee maker and a toaster! Or dishes,cutlery,pots and pans,etc. When I went downstairs to ask why,was told she could give me a "kitchen box" that has the basics. Supplies are limited,so if there was none left,not sure what we would have done??? There was no spatulas,etc. in the box. There was no dish towell,oven mit etc.-had to make a run to the Dollar Store for those items.If I had known,I could have brought these items from home,as we were driving.
Next issue is the double beds. Yes,this is advertised in the ad. I guess I didn't remember how small a double bed is for 2 middle aged adults(of normal size) Made for an uncomfortable sleep.
If they are renting these rooms out to tourists,perhaps they can consider swapping these beds out for the summer and putting queen beds in.Also,stocking the kitchens appropriately. If you don't have a child who has lived in a college dorm,you have no way of knowing what they look like.
The air conditioner knocks at times,and is noisy.
Again I would probably try this place again,due to the price, location and cleanliness. But,I will know ahead of time what to bring.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Landrys05
Traceycfrompei, General Manager at Glendenning Hall, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review. I appreciate your positive comments about our location, cleanliness, and rate!
I am sorry that you thought the picture of our commons rooms, was a picture of our hotel rooms, our students would love to have leather couches and big screen TVs in each room as well I am sure. Our rooms are like the traditional standard hotel rooms in that there is no living room area. The picture was not intended to be misleading and I apologize for that. The wifi is only in our 6 commons rooms (two on each floor) and while you were with us, only 3 of those had air conditioners, but that has since been rectified and all six now have air conditioners in them.
We do offer a full kitchen (fridge, stove, microwave) in all of our rooms, but you are right, we do have a limited supply of kitchen essentials. We find that as general rule, a lot of our guests do not want to cook during their vacation, but unfortunately sometimes we do run out of our “kitchen boxes” and try to offer guests whatever we have on hand. They do normally include: place setting for four, 2 pots, frying pan, baking sheet, spatula, can opener, 2 large serving spoons, dish towel, dish cloth, dish soap and salt and pepper. We do not normally include toasters or coffee makers because we offer a continental breakfast from 7 – 10 am. I apologize that we were unable to provide you with a full kitchen box during your stay and that what we were able to provide you was inadequate. I will certainly recommend that more “kitchen boxes” be purchased for our guests.
I would also like to apologize for your noisy air conditioner, we do not have central air conditioning so we use the window units, and they are not as quiet.
I am glad that for the most part, you did enjoy your stay with us and I certainly hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Tracey