“Good value compared to other neighborhood restaurants”

Water Prince Corner Shop and Lobster Pound
Ranked #10 of 255 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This quaint and busy restaurant was recommended by our hotel steward as the place locals go for lobster, although I later heard its for "cruise ship folk" so I checked it out and was pleased. Compared to other restaurants offering a lobster dinner at $45-$60 I received a 1 lb lobster, chowder, slaw and roll - simple nothing fancy but I was really there to eat lobster.

With grocery stores selling lobster and prepared to cook it for you at $8.95/lb though, next time I'd be inclined to simply pick one up there and head down to the wharf to enjoy it.

I requested 1.25 lbs but it wasn't over 1 lb I'm sure, and while chowder was fantastic, the slaw and bun were unremarkable. Also, they serve the lobster already cut for you, not my preference, so it would be good if they actually asked the customer if they want to have utensils to cut themselves or have it done for them. It arrived at the table only slightly warmed...but certainly was cooked to perfection and not overdone as many restaurants do.

It satisfied the craving for lobster that evening but I am not sure I'd return if alternatives at the same or cheaper prices were available.

There are newer reviews for Water Prince Corner Shop and Lobster Pound

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I tried this place the evening I arrived in Charlottetown. It is just in the corner of Water and Prince street, and hence the name. Genius me!

Anyways I just walked by the place and saw that the place was bustling with food patrons. I had to wait for 5 minutes to get a table. I looked around and could see people digging into heaps of Blue Mussels and Lobsters. I was tempted, but decided to settle with something simple. I ordered Deep fried Clams and fries along with a local beverage. The food was yummy; another reason being that I was famished!

The service is decent and the restaurant is not very big. They do have seating on the outside. I guess the owners are Irish and have nicely designed the interior to give it an Irish feel.

I recommend this place if Sea-food is your thing and you happen to be in that area of the town.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were sent here by a local shop owner who highly recommended it! It was amazing! Simple, delicious seafood, fresh from the sea and cooked exactly right. We sat outside which was really nice - and the service was great - attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. We had mussels for an appetizer and then a 2# lobster for me and Salmon for my husband. It was DELICIOUS! The Salmon was poached and served with a yummy dill sauce. Just so fresh! This little gem is a short walk from the main street but well worth the 3 block walk. Don't miss it!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Took a cruise out of Boston roundtrip to Quebec. Stopped in several ports going and coming. The BEST food by far was at the Water/Prince Corner Shop. Ate here twice and both times outstanding. My wife was blown away by the halibut fish and chips. I had oysters(the best ever) mussels, chowder and lobster. Service was very friendly and the owner Shane is a great guy. Again DO NOT MISS

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Your taste buds will thank you for stopping here to eat ! I had the scallop sandwich which came with such a tasty potatoe salad and coleslaw on the side. The scallops were lightly breaded and sat on the bun ... all 8 of them !!! My husband had the fish and chips which he thoroughly enjoyed ! My mom-in-law had the chowder which was so good she wanted to lick the bowl ! I would recommend this cosy eating establishment to anyone wanting a taste of the Maritimes !