“No sincerer love”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Queen Street
Description: THE ISLANDS ONLY YEAR-ROUND OYSTER BAR WITH FRESH LOBSTER TANK.Featuring more than just the best available oysters from PEI, the Claddagh Oyster House is a warm, contemporary dining room located within an historic building in downtown Charlottetown.A Constantly changing menu that features the freshest seafood, premium Island beef, chicken, pasta and more - combined with our extensive wine selections are sure to please.THE CLADDAGH OYSTER HOUSE - MORE THAN JUST GREAT OYSTERS!!
Reviewed June 6, 2013

On my first visit to Charlottetown, my friend recommended we visit the Lobster-On-The-Wharf that one of his friends had recommended even though a quick check on this site revealed nothing exceptional about it. Claddagh Oyster House was listed as #1 and that is how we ended up here on a cool spring evening.

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food” it says on the wall at this restaurant. This is easy to believe with the kind of food that we were served here.

A touch of lemon was all that was needed on my oysters on the shell “taster”. Simple, salty and delicious. My friend had the lobster and crab cakes. I had a taste but did not find them exceptional.

My main course of Galway Bay is described in the menu as “large tiger prawns & scallops sautéed with mushrooms & scallions with a touch of Irish Mist and cream with basmati rice and seasoned vegetables”. The prawns were large as promised and the scallops were done just right. I was asked if I wanted the rice or the mashed potatoes (a reference to lots of butter on the latter was made). I picked the potatoes and did not regret it. This was an exceptional main course.

My friend ordered the Coriander & Pumpkin Seed Crusted Chicken Supremewith a spiced butternut squash puree. He was as pleased with his meal as I was with mine.

For dessert my friend had the warm Chocolate Fudge Brownie served with berries, whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce. It certainly was a favourite with him as he ate it up before I could say Claddagh.

I ordered the Bread Pudding house made and served warm with Irish whiskey brown sugar sauce, this is the first time I have had bread pudding in a restaurant and will not be the last if this one is any indication of how it is supposed to taste.

The service throughout was exceptional. Only two tables were occupied when we showed up at 6:30 pm but by 7:30 the restaurant had filled up.

The restaurant has moved down to #2 on this site in the week since we visited, but we would not hesitate to go back and highly recommend it.

Olde D, Manager at Claddagh Oyster House, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thanks for the kind review. We truly believe in the concept of fresh food and fresh local food. We are glad the you enjoyed your experience with us. We do have the best Bread Pudding around!
Cheers and thanks!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The food is fine but nothing special. Oysters are sold in plates of 5 and 10 rather than the usual half-dozen or dozen, which seems a bit of a cheat. In addition to the oysters I had the caesar salad and it was the smallest $12 salad I've ever had in a restaurant. This was my second visit and while the servers are friendly, the service was slow both times.

1  Thank Tbeverid
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Highly recommend the four course meal! The chef comes out to speak to you to discover likes and dislikes to create an exciting experience for you and you will not be let down! The service was the best we ever had. Lisa was an absolute pleasure and was as amazing as every bite of food that we put in our mouths. You have not experienced Charlottetown until you have eaten here :)

1  Thank Canadianvirgo76
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Do yourself a favor and try the tasting menu. One of the best dining experiences I have ever had. Our first course was a sample of different types of oysters (the raw one was my favorite, a taste of the ocean in one bite!) Our 2nd course consisted of a decadent lobster risotto and pork belly. Our 3rd course was a heaping portion of P.E.I. mussels steamed in white wine and herbs. The last course we had was Halibut with roasted vegetables. We did not have dessert as we wanted to sample the seafood that P.E.I. has to offer. Our waitress recommended to pair our dinner with a local P.E.I. Chardonnay, it was a younger wine which complemented the freshness of our seafood. A must go when in Charlottetown.

1  Thank LosHunters
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I certainly agree with dialit's positive review of the rack of lamb. A great entree, preceded by the roasted oyster appetizer. Not a cheap meal ($32 for the lamb; $12 for the appetizer), but what sets this place apart is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. They know their island, their town, and their menu, with great suggestions in each.

The lamb was perfectly cooked (to a medium rare), with crisp and flavorful vegetables underneath. Portions were good, not overwhelming. Thanks, Liza. A great dinner experience.