“Great neighbourhood bar/resaturant”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Riverside
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I hadn't been to Menard's for many years so my wife and I went for dinner on a Friday evening last fall (2012).

The most recent renovations are very nice and the menu is more upscale and diversified than it was before. Not surprisingly, given the name, the fish is still as good as ever: local perch + traditional fish and chips + something new: Barramundi, which they serve as the "house specialty" and bill as "The Healthiest Fish in the World".

My wife had the Barramundi and really enjoyed it. There are better fish & chips in Windsor (Heather Bell; Pat & Hanks) but Menard's was not bad. I prefer their perch & chips. I have not yet tried the burgers but they look and smell very good.

1  Thank elqrijghpiqerhvgier

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I took our family to Menard's for dinner and everything was great. I had the perch and it tasted like they just caught it, it was so fresh and delicious! The prime rib was so tender. Their coleslaw was the best I've ever tried anywhere. We ended our night with their famous Keylime Pie. Out of 11 people there wasn't one complaint. This is our new home away from home. Thanks to the great staff we had a great anniversary!!! Diane Bido Tecumseh,on

1  Thank 505Bido
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We decided to try the newly opened and renovated Menard's Fish Shack. We both had the Classic Perch Dinner (16.95) One of us got 3 pieces and the other 2 pieces, one got a good portion of fries (frozen) and the other got the crispy ends and a very small portion. When we took a bite of the coleslaw, we both started to cough. It was like someone stuck a straw in a bottle of vinegar. We were very dissatisfied with our meal and will not be going back anytime soon!

3  Thank Fallcolours
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Well, Menards is a Windsor legend, but fell on hard times for the past few years. The lstest owner(s) have spent a bunch of money on making it a nice place - paved the parking lot, all new furniture and booths, new lighting, etc.
They reopened recently and we decided to try it. They have a fairly extensive menu - so much so that it gets a little confusing - but since Menard's used to be known citywide for it's seafood we decided to try fish entrees.
There is a house specialty - Barramundi, ($15.)which I tried and was quite nice, although I could not figure out why they put cold coleslaw over a hot fish on a hot bed of rice. But the fish, the slaw, and the rice were all delicious.
My companion had the Cod fish and chips, ($10.) which were just OK, with the fish being just a bit underdone.
We had a bottle of wine with dinner, and here is my biggest fault with this place; a bottle of wine that cost just $7.95 at the liquor store is marked up to $28.00!!!! Give me a break! They have a selection of 8 different red wines, all about or under $10 at the liquor store, all priced at $28.
That same bottle of wine, at the restaurant about 6 blocks away, is $14.
We won't be back until the prices are adjusted.

2  Thank WindsorTraveller