“Gross slop”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Everyone asks: "What kind of name is Bubi's(R)?" (Pronounced Buh-Bees...Not Boobies, as many may think!!) "Where does it come from?" Ours goes a little like this... Once upon a time, within the walls around you, close to where you sit now, a very young boy began to call for his Baba or grandmother..."Buh-Bee, B-u-h-B-e-e, B-U-H-B-E-E"...He cried ! Bubi began as a cute, affectionate nickname the boy created,for his Slavic grandmother or Baba. The boy, her grandson Buddy Miloyevich is the proud owner and founder of Bubi's Awesome Eats for the last 30 years. Bubi's Awesome Eats(R) declares unabashedly, without shame that we are "Garlic Friendly!" Our trademarked slogans are "Garlicky Good(R)", "All Garlicked Up(R)" and "The House of Garlic and Pleasure(R)". We Love Garlic, and Bubi's is NOT afraid to use it. We are a Real Food Restaurant for Real Food People - like you! Garlic is the new Foodie Cologne Isn't it about time, you feel the burn of Garlic?! Watch You-Tube Video / You Gotta Eat Here Bubi's & Bubi's Facebook Page
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gross slop”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is for fat people who don't care about food quality, or taste. I wouldn't spend another dime on this slop, I'm shocked this place hasn't closed it's doors yet. Bad food, worst staff.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank SteveKnowsFood
Bubis-Response-Team, Owner at Bubi's Awesome Eats, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Well Steve, Who Knows Food, The Beauty of living in the “Free World” is “Freedom of Speech” with everyone being entitled to their own opinion, God Bless us all. I just have to wonder though; Bubi’s Awesome Eats has been an Institution in the Windsor, Essex County, & Detroit Region for 30 years. We have been reviewed locally countless times by the press in all regions mentioned. We were the 1st Restaurant in Windsor to be Featured Nationally on The Food Networks Smash Hit “You Gotta Eat Here”. As a Statistic there are over 81,000 restaurants across this Great Nation. Bubi’s Awesome Eats has been the most Innovative and Copied Restaurant in the Windsor Area with So Many Novel Food Ideas and First’s For this region. Now as I did say everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we appreciate your honesty, but really, Steve, are you sure you ate at Bubi’s Awesome Eats? I guess any readers will have to decide for themselves. So come on down and try some of our “Gross Slop” It’s worked for about 2,000,000 plus customers to date. Thanks Steve

London, Canada
“Great gyros...great service... not "obnoxious".”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I don't know why this charming little place advertises "30 years of obnoxious service and great food". If that had been the first I heard of Bubi's, our family of four would never have tried it. I always rank service over food, and believe that a decent meal with great service is preferable to above average food with terrible service. In any case, this is misleading advertising on their part, because every server we have had at Bubi's has taken good care of us, and if you are lucky enough to get Nakia, you will definitely understand why on our February visit, when we were only in town for 3 days, we returned every day for lunch. The "old house" atmosphere, and especially our server Nakia, made us feel very much at home.
As for the food, what we have tried has ranged from outstanding to average, but we have never walked away with anything other than a smile. In particular we found that the "Chicago-style" gyros are far better than those served at most Greek specialty restaurants we have been to. Maybe it's that incredible garlicky sauce they use in lieu of the traditional tzatziki. The burgers are also especially tasty and are served in a special bun that itself has real flavour ...and of course that garlic sauce again! The only item we have had that the sauce could not improve was "Ahmed's Spicy Beef Injected Burrito". While decent, anyone expecting much Mexican spice (i.e. chipotle or cumin), or even mildly piquante, will be disappointed. However, for those who prefer their food a bit bland, then I guess this is a good wrap.
The entire menu is varied, but not to the point of being overwhelmed by so many different items that the only way the kitchen could possibly produce it all would be to rely solely on the freezer and the microwave. Everything we had tasted fresh, and even the fries are hand cut with the skins on (and you can get more of that garlicky sauce to dip them in).
The small bar also has an interesting assortment of craft brews. I recommend the Hobgoblin Ale (on tap) as a refreshing yet not over-hopped pale ale. Lager lovers will find plenty for their palates as well. As for wines, they are there, but don't expect to be wowed.
All in all, we have sampled several of the Sammies and Wraps for lunch, and I am especially looking forward to our next "Swim Meet" trip to Windsor so I can get to Bubi's for dinner and sample the ribs. I hope someone at our table will also order the Veggie Lasagna because I have seen it served and really want to get a bite of that as well.
All in all, this is a unique place with a great story (Google it yourself), and inviting food and friendly service. My only worry is that their location so close to the new Aquatic Centre may mean a rapid increase in business, and I hope we do not need to stand in line for our next visit.

• Visited February 2014
Uxbridge
“Not really getting all the hype”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Was really looking forward to having dinner here, after reading all the reviews. My husband and I decided to split our meals, so we ordered the Best of the Breast and the Captain Fantastic burger. While the chicken fingers were ok, they weren't any different from chicken fingers anywhere else, and the ends were actually kind of tough. The burger was really good, but we both thought on the small side for the price. We both ordered "Dillon" fries. They were really good but REALLY rich and neither of us could even come close to finishing. We loved the Bubi sauce, but wow, did we reek the next day! If you're going to eat this, do it when you don't have to go out the next day!

So while the meal was ok, I don't know that we'd go back.

• Visited January 2014
Windsor, Canada
“No such thing as too much garlic :)”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Bubi's garlic sauce has got to be THE most addictive substance. I've been to Bubi's many times and it never disappoints. The sweet potato fries are my personal favourite - but the burgers are to die for. Nice place to go with the family or friends (It is also fun just to read the menu).

• Visited December 2013
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

“Awesome Eats!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Great food, lacking in customer service from our server. Could have just been the one we had that night.

Visited January 2014