“Good food, very traditional taste” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Danube Restaurant

Blue Danube Restaurant
Ranked #100 of 768 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian, International
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Walkerville
Windsor, Canada
“Good food, very traditional taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

We liked the restaurant, and go 2-3 times/year when we get in a mood for Hungarian food. The portion sizes are good, the food is fresh, and tastes very home made. Presentation is simple and homestyle... nothing crazy fancy here, just a good meal and a good portion size.
I find the soups are very tasty, and although I am not a big soup eater, I have to say try the soup of the day. I would recommend their Transylvanian Platter for Two, it is a good variety of common favourites, and fun to share with a friend.
You will be pleased you went, simple, relaxed place, with good food, and good portion size. They have been there for years and years.. for a reason.

• Visited February 2012

Windsor, Canada
“One of many visits!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

The Blue Danube is fantastic! The food is delicious and the people are so very friendly! I will be back again and again!

• Visited December 2011
Detroit, Michigan
“Better than excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

We were heading to Caesars Windsor for the night. While the dining at the casino is good, we were looking for something better; something with a different flair. I Googled Windsor restaurants and found hungarian food served at the Blue Danube. We had lunch there on Saturday. It was better than excellent; better than fabulous. I had the Budapest chicken and my husband the goulash. Dessert was black forest cake and apple strudel. Both desserts were over the top but the vanilla ice cream on the strudel was phenomial. I've never had that kind of ice cream in Michigan. Canada knows what they're doing when it comes to the ice cream. Lunch for the two of us ran $53 CAD with dessert and a 20% tip; no alcohol although next time I might try the Hungarian wine.

If you ever find yourself in Windsor and you are hungry, head to the Blue Danube. It's a 7 minute drive from the casino in the Ottawa Mall District - which we were not familiar with. Monday thru Saturday you have to pay to park and the meters only take coins. Fortunately the meter accepted US quarters. The parking ran $1.50.

The inside of the restaurant was very quaint and homey feeling. They had Christmas decorations up. Next time you're in the neighborhood or looking for someplace different, have dinner at the Blue Danube then head to the casino for a show. Now I can't wait to go back!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Del H
Shag Harbour, Canada
“The Best Hungarian EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

My wife, who is Hungarian, and I search out new hungarian restaurants wherever we travel. You simply cannot go with this restaurant. We showed up somewhat late for dinner, no reservations. The atmosphere is very warm, a little dark , and old school. I believe this restaurant has been here 30+ yrs.

We started off splitting some perogies as an appetizer. They were wonderful. Not all slimy like a lot of restaurants serve.

Next was a typical green salad, included with the entree.

For the main entrees, Our style is to order different items on the menu , and sample each others. I opted for the Goulash, and she had the wiener schnitzel, after the waitress suggested it over the pork. After she sampled mine, my wife said it was 'better than my Grandma's". She has never said that before. Her schnitzel was fabulous. the requisite dumplings as sides were great.

For Dessert , we wanted the crepes, but the waitress explained that they were out for the evening. This shows how everything is done freshly here. She suggested the streusel, and it came out perfectly, slighty crispy, and hot inside. Next time, and there will be a next time, we hope to try the crepes.

We left stuffed, total bill was $60 before tip. Service was outstanding.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great food and great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

Great food and great atmosphere!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook