“OK, but not that spicy”

India Palace Sweet Restaurant
Ranked #442 of 811 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Walkerville
Neighborhood: Walkerville
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Food was not very dynamic; needs: garlic, onion, butter, green cardamom seed pods, ginger, fresh chilies, fresh cilantro. Not a large selection of pickles. No after dinner mixed seeds for breath freshner. Music would make the place a bit more alive (we were there during the week so may be more happening on the weekend) Friendly staff and prices OK but just not 'WOW" food.

Reviewed February 2, 2010

Best Indian food in the city, hands down ...nothing else needs to be said

Reviewed July 14, 2008

The food at this restaurant is delightful. The service is pleasant and informative. We have asked for ratings as to spiciness of dishes and been given honest, accurate information. The server is very knowledgable in terms of ingredients in dishes. Service is fast, food is hot and delicious and I wish I was there now!

1  Thank lovespicefood
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I hadn't expected to find a cure for my Indian Cuisine dining doldrums in Windsor’s Ottawa Village. We were desperately waiting for the last meal of the day after spending a joyful day at the Casino Windsor followed by walking at the riverfront to make up for the fresh air deficiency, which we were feeling guilty to expos our bodies to the inside closed atmosphere of the Casino. Although hunger was striking high and overriding all priorities walking at riverfront was an excellent idea. Being person of Indian Origin of course Indian food was the 1st desire and high on our restaurant priority list. Though, I visited Windsor many times and always visited Little Italy for dining, never thought of an Indian Restaurant in Windsor due to bad experience shared by a friend. India Palace was recommend by a cab driver, though I was skeptical about the cab drivers recommendation thought he was trying to increase his taxi fare for a longer ride but my wife's desire for an Indian was no-brainer decision. For a moment thought to drive my own car parked free at the Casino Parking Garage, but my wife recommended taxi due to previous failed driving attempts to find restaurants in unknown cities, but it was a less than 5 minutes ride from the Casino, location was not difficult to find.

A few bites into our entrees at India Palace my wife, friends and I fell silent with surprise and enjoyment -- for maybe 2 minutes -- before we all began commenting excitedly about how great the food and flavors were. The impressive thing was that all the dishes that night were very different, but all were delicious. Kingfisher Indian beer was an excellent choice to add more to enjoyment. The food spice and fresh flavors were complex and distinctive, even ordered mix of medium and hot spices. From the tasty vegetable pakoras to the memorable biryani, my meals here were a welcome wake-up call for the palate.

The proud owner and server a young and smiling fellow served the food with passion. He explained that his family took over the restaurant from previous owner in 2006, and did major overhaul to make this place look nice and expanded space next door to make it 80 seats, including a separate space for a groups of up to 40. Nice seating arrangement and great interior color combination, which provides nice dining atmosphere, India Palace feels upscale and polished. I’ll definitely visit this place again, excellent choice from large menu, I recommend this restaurant.

3  Thank Review_by_desi