“Making a reservation was impossible; they told me to take my business elsewhere”

Ye Olde Walkerville Bed & Breakfast
Ye Olde Walkerville Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Windsor B&B and Inns
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I live in the area. My wife and I attended high-school next door and she has always been curious about staying there. I wanted to surprise her for our wedding anniversary and reserve a room.

Because I live close by, I first showed up in person to make a reservation but there was no one present. Later that day I used their web-site to reserve a room. I received no reply at all.

Two or three days after using their web-site I sent a follow-up e-mail and was finally given a reply telling me that the night I requested was unavailable. This would be the beginning of many back and forth e-mails with much frustration on my part.

I explained that the specific night was flexible as long as it was around the date of our anniversary and to their credit they offered me their suite at a discounted rate. I asked if I could confirm my reservation in person as I don't like to give my credit card information over the phone. This is when things began to get very frustrating. I was told that the father was on vacation and would be returning on October 8th and that I could come and meet with him then. It was explained that I could see the room and go over details etc. I responded, explaining that all I wanted was to confirm the reservation ASAP, as I do not like to leave things up in the air, but they persisted.

So I waited almost two weeks before I could go in person, and when I arrived on the 8th there was no one present once again.

Upon returning home I sent another e-mail politely expressing my frustration at the difficultly involved in the process of confirming a reservation, and explained that such difficultly could lead one to feel concern over the quality of service that could be expected in person, and I requested an appointment to meet with someone.

They took offence to my customer feedback and told me to take my business elsewhere. They told me that it was unfair of me to "jump to conclusions" over the quality of their service because I did not want to confirm over the phone (which was a gross misstatement of events).

From my point of view, reserving a room and corresponding with customers is all a part of their service. Given the customer service I received, including their response to my feedback, I must say their service was extremely poor. Never in my life have I been told that my business is not wanted.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Garett S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Larry, Joyce and their son are the epitome of hospitality. They are infant-friendly which was a relief to us as new parents attempting our first trip with our five-month old son. Joyce acted as surrogate grandma to our baby while we enjoyed the delicious breakfast she had prepared. Our room was clean with all the comforts of home: wifi, television and a mini-fridge. It is truly the details like offering us a bottle of water when we first arrived, kindly coming to find us at the bus station and making homemade blueberry muffins for their guests that make this place top notch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank unanovafamiglia
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed one night at this bed & breakfast and it couldn't have been better. Larry and Joyce were perfect hosts. We got a little mixed up in directions and I had to call the B&B. Larry was very patient in providing directions. Larry and Joyce both spent some time with us upon our arrival to chat. They are both so friendly. The breakfast in the morning was unbelievable. We stayed in the third floor suite. The room was large, comfortable and we had a great sleep. We would highly recommend this B&B. Be sure to take a stroll around the area. We were fortunate as the Arts in the Park Festival was on the same weekend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donald F
White Lake, Michigan
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed one night in Corrina's Chamber while in town for a family party. Our host was extremely welcoming when we arrived with recommendations for an Italian dinner and walking directions. He then prepared a delicious three-course breakfast before our departure in the morning. The room was quiet and comfortable. We recommend walking to the Walker Mansion and park during your stay to explore the historic neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer W
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed on our way to Niagara Falls for the weekend. Had the third floor suite. The jacuzzi was great, the fireplace was nice and we were seriously tempted to steal the rug in front of it because it felt so nice to walk on. They kindly provided some refreshments when we arrived, and had a fantastic several course breakfast when we woke up.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if they're not busy.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xdeleon
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My fiancee and I stayed in Corrina's Chamber in August for 3 days. Larry & Joyce were amazing hosts, breakfast was a real treat every morning and there were definitely no repeated dishes either. First time trying watermelon soup! They gave us great directions around the city and helped made our stay in Windsor wonderful. The house is really lovely and well taken care of, we loved the charm of our room. Definitely will stay here again next time we're in Canada.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heather p
Toronto
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We were in Windsor for a wedding for two nights, and stayed in the Loft - Samantha's Suite. Ye Olde Walkerville was excellent - the room was huge, spacious with Jacuzzi, and most importantly clean with a very comfortable bed. But two things really made this B&B stand out: (1) Our hosts Larry & Joyce were friendly, concerned with our comfort, and offered very entertaining stories over breakfast; (2) Breakfast - mmm mmmm.... Joyce serves delicious 2 course breakfasts - first something sweet, and then something savory, using fresh local ingredients (and some from her garden). I highly recommend this B&B for stays in Windsor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple