“Small, basic place to stay, decent for one sleep”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windsor
A Hidden Gem Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Windsor B&B and Inns
Milton, Canada
“Small, basic place to stay, decent for one sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We booked a room as we were attending a concert in Windsor at a local casino. We found the B & B on tripadvisor and when I emailed the owner, the smallest room was the only room left. We booked it for $89, tax included, breakfast included. The home itself is a small, older home with two entrances, one to the main portion of the B & B, with a small living room, dining room, and kitchen, while the second door leads to two of the guest rooms. I would not recommend anyone with mobility issues to stay here, as the stairs that go up to the rooms are very narrow and steep, in addition to a back staircase that leads you to the kitchen for breakfast. I did not notice this, but my husband noted a large spiderweb on the outside door of the suite adjacent to ours. He assumes it was the door to the suite as it was the only other door beside ours.

I was greeted by the husband when we arrived and he was friendly and helpful. We were able to park our car in the driveway that could accommodate about 4 cars. The B & B itself was just a few kilometres away from where we needed to be, which was handy.

Our room was very small, as expected/advertised. It contained a queen bed that provided a very comfortable sleep. There was a night table with a lamp, and a small desk. One door leads to the bedroom, but another door leads you out of the bedroom to a shared hallway and that is how you access the bathroom. The bathroom and bedroom are exactly as pictured on tripadvisor, small, retro like your grandmother's house, and very basic. There was no storage in the bedroom, but a small bench that we rested our bags on. I would not stay here if I were in Windsor for more than one night as it was too small for a longer stay. It suited our needs for one night as we were just here to sleep.

This is an average, basic place to stay if you need a place to rest your head for one night. There are no frills here. I did manage to see the other, very large suite beside our tiny room. It was comprised of 3 rooms and a bathroom. It was quite nice. If you enjoy hanging out in B & B's in-between your sightseeing, I am not sure that this is the place for you as the common area to do so is very small and not really set up as we have seen other B & B's.

Breakfast comprised of fruit salad, coffee, tea, orange juice, english muffins, frittata, and cereal and milk for me, as I do not eat eggs. There were also some good chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Pretty standard breakfast, nothing fancy. My husband commented that his frittata was "excellent".

I would be tempted to explore other options, if returning to Windsor. I think next time we would stay on the riverside to be closer to the casino.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the smallest room. Choose the suite as it is only a few dollars more.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrWagnerMilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have stayed at Kirk's more times than I can count, always in the Green Suite, which is ridiculously comfortable. I love being able to spread out and relax, the bed is comfortable - we've never had a bad time! Barbe and Jim are outstanding hosts, and Jim is always ready with directions to the nearest arena for us hockey nuts. Breakfast is always great, and they're always willing to fix a tea tray on a chilly day. Planning a return visit in Feb. 2013, and I know it won't be the last!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed in Green Room Suite which is spacious, has lots of light and is comfortable. Establishment met my expectations based on previous Tripadvisor reviews. Hosts are very friendly. Sharing experiences with guests at the breakfast table added a nice touch for me as a single traveler. The TV in the suite ideally should be upgraded to a flat screen.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having stayed at many B&B establishments Kirk's stands out. The owners, Jim and Barb have created a friendly and welcoming home-style B&B. Rooms are upstairs and include an elegant suite with porch as well as a simple room with a bed.

Location is within sight of the river and a 20 minute walk to the downtown area. If you take the direct route you can stroll through a comfortable neighbourhood that in other cities would have become gentrified and exclusive. Take a slight detour and you will see restaurants and outlets from a half dozen countries.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank klimazz
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

My fiance and I stayed in the Earth room, and we were both very pleased with this B&B. The bedroom and bathroom were clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable with fluffy pillows (my favourite!). The owners were friendly and easy speak to, and they provided us with some great tips on what to do during our stay. Overall, I would come back to this B&B!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

Hubby and I stayed at Kirks for a last minute getaway over the long weekend. The location was perfect as it was very close to the casino and not far from the tunnel with handy parking. We stayed in the Earth room which was small but very comfortable and met our needs nicely. The bed had a comfortable mattress and the sheets were soft and luxurious, great for curling up for a cozy nights sleep. The bath was a 50's pink retro chic that reminded me of Gramma's house. Breakfast consisted of friendly conversation, fresh fruit, eggs, ham and english muffins with a bottomless cup of coffee. The price was very reasonable for the location and amenities making it a spot we will surely visit again. Next time we may try the Loft or Green Suite for variety.

Room Tip: Earth room was great for a quick sleep. Green Suite is perfect if you want to spread out.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Planned a surprise getaway for my wife at this B&B and the Kirk's helped make this one of our most favorite vacations. Not only are the rooms well appointed, but the Kirk's provide just the right balance between friendliness and privacy. If and when you want to engage them, they are available to help and full of delightful stories about Windsor. If you want to be left alone, they are invisible; perfect for a romantic break.

The breakfasts were a delight to the eyes as well as the palate. The parking is convenient and the location is well situated, facilitating store browsing by foot or car.

We will definitely be returning to the Kirk's in the near future!

Room Tip: The rooms really are a great value. If you can afford it, go for the loft...you won't regret it...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple