“We found him again!!”
Review of Mauro's on Erie - CLOSED

Mauro's on Erie
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mauro's On Erie is a restaurant on Windsor's Via Italia that serves creative Italian cuisine in a cozy space with alluring contemporary vibes.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We knew Mauro from a previous restaurant in our home town and were sad to find that he had left. That restaurant had gone down from the time that Mauro was there. We enquired as to where he had gone and were told "back to Windsor". I said to my husband "I bet he has opened his own restaurant" and sure enough!!
We googled his name and when we saw his listing we immediately booked for four of us for a birthday treat for friends. When we got to the restaurant Mauro recognized us immediately and there were big hugs all around. We were so delighted that he had finally got what he is good at which is being a restauranteur. Its not just about the food which was delicious by the way (my husband is delighted he does not have to drive back to Digby NS for good scallops), its about the ambience, the warmth of the staff, the wonderful sense of humour but most of all being treated like family. Mauro does all of this very well with the assistance of his better half, Cheryl and one of his waitresses Julia who served us and was sooo funny we just laughed and laughed. I don't think I have ever been for a 3 hour dinner before with only two courses (our choice). We just did not want to leave. But we will be back, again and again. This is our new favourite restaurant and although it is not as close to home it is well worth the drive.
Much success Mauro in you new venture. We are so glad we found you again.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went to lunch with my staff. Waitress was friendly and accommodating. After all the reviews we were expecting something special which unfortunately we were disappointed. We were five persons, were bread and some dips were brought out, were we thought it was for two persons but turned out was for all of us. Noodles were not cooked through, pizza dry, short ribs greasy.... Not worth going there again. Was very disappointed after reading all the reviews. We had lunch at 1:00pm and the place was empty. Now I know why.

1  Thank Pete4you
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My boyfriend heard about this place from a friend so we decided to give it a try. We're from the states so we made the trek over the bridge and boy were we happy we did. Our experience at Mauro's was incredibly romantic. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. We felt like we were family. We arrived to the restaurant late (around 9), when we asked when they closed we were told whenever we wanted to leave. We ordered a bottle of wine and began with the Artisan plate. It was delicious, especially the pearl onions. I ordered the braised short ribs and my bf ordered the Orecchiette San Marzano pasta. Both were very delicious. We tried the Tiramisu for dessert and it was one of the best I've ever had. After our meal we had the privilege to meet with the chefs, both were very friendly and informative. We can't wait to go back for another romantic evening!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We discovered this restaurant during a trip to Windsor based on a strong recommendation from a family member. I was without my wife on the first trip, but me and a buddy were keen to check it out, so we swung by later in the evening to grab a couple of drinks and some appetizers. (We'd already had dinner earlier at a family reunion.)

Our server (Tammy) was awesome. She walked us through the menu, and recommended a couple of appetizers. We had the beef carpaccio, the scallops and the charcuterie plate. Awesome. The carpaccio was perfectly seasoned, with just the right amount of parmesan and arugula sprinkled over it. Too many places try to go crazy with flavouring the beef past the point of recognition, but the chef at Mauro's showed a nice light touch that let the quality of the beef shine through.

The scallops were perfectly cooked (and how many times have you ordered scallops only to have them arrive rubbery), so hats off again. And the charcuterie plate was a great balance of salty meats and incredible cheese.

And I'd be remiss not to mention the wine list and the tap selection for draft. Any restaurant that has J. Lohr by the glass is alright in my books, and the brew selection is quite surprising for an Italian eatery. They even had the Sam Adams seasonal (Summer the first time I ate there, Oktoberfest the second). Plus Walkerville (a local Windsor more) and a few others. It convinced us to stay for a second round and order a pizza. I won't give the secret away here, out of respect for the chef, but there's a bonus item on the crust that is both surprising and well worth emulating.

I was so impressed with the place that my wife and I made plans to come down from Toronto to visit friends ... I wouldn't say it was just an excuse to go back to Mauro's, but... well, it kind of was.

We weren't disappointed. Started off the evening with a pint of Oktoberfest for me, and a glass of J. Lohr for the wife. Then we moved on to appetizers -- crab cakes and beef carpaccio (again). Trust me, it's that good.

For the mains, we stuck with pasta this time -- I had the ragu, and it had that unmistakable flavour that can only come from a lot of love (and a long time simmering on the stovetop.) My wife had a pasta dish -- can't recall it's name, but it had sausage in it. Huge portion, and it was delicious.

And dessert. On the menu that night was cheddar cheese gelato. You read that right. I have no idea if it's a regular item, but it was a revelation. I had to order it for the novelty factor, and it was really good. No clue how the chef pulled off getting cheddar cheese into a gelato, but... very different and awesome.

(And, as other reviewers mentioned, the chef came out to visit. That's always a classy touch.)

I could go on, but... I'll leave it at this. Mauro's is right up there with some of the better restaurants we've been to here in Toronto. It's well worth checking it out. Not surprised to see it listed #1 in Windsor. I just hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to get a table when we go back next time we're in town!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was expecting an extraordinary experience after reading all of the reviews on this site, but found it to be pretty ordinary after all. We ordered four different entrees and although the food was good, it was not remarkable in any way. Yes, the menu is atypical but not necessarily in the best way. For example, traditional Italian dishes such as Veal Saltimbocca, or con Funghi served with fingerling potatoes instead of pasta just seems incongruous, not inspired. One of our party wanted to order the evening's special, a salmon and pasta dish, but at 7:30 at night it was already sold out with only half a dozen other parties in the restaurant. Bread was skimpy and not replenished. We ordered coffee at the end of our meal which was old, but a new pot was brewed once requested. Still, our cups were scooted away after the first cup without an offer to refill as we were hoping.

Yes. Mauro is personal and friendly as is the wait staff. However, one waiter and Mauro himself were so loud while laughing and high-fiving a customer at the bar who was waiting for a pizza that it was distracting to the point of annoying. The waitress was personable but mentioned at least six times that Mauro was her Dad. She was friendly and polite, but obviously not professionally trained - i.e. the wine service; food was delivered one at a time and at different times to each of our party; chattering about how she poured the water with ice or without, etc. We often had to halt our own conversation in order to acknowledge her commentary. A nearby table of ladies who were discussing a television show were interrupted because the waitress wheeled about to insert "...and tonight's the season finale!" unexpectedly into their conversation. Later in the evening, the chef came out to introduce himself to the few remaining tables and ask how everyone's meals were. This was a well-intended gesture also, but somehow just was not pulled off well, and seemed like one more unnecessary intrusion.

Overall, it is fine as a Mom and Pop kind of place for a Sunday evening, but I would not entertain business associates at this restaurant. The food is not bad, but also not outstanding, and the lack of restaurant industry professionalism is obvious.