“very nice place to stay”

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Windsor
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed April 26, 2012

big clean room
internet access on the 4th floor is wired only, but I prefer that
went to the pool area and there was plenty of clean towels
breakfast was good
lots of parking available
plenty of places to eat
every time I called downstairs staff picked up quickly and professionally

the only thing I wanted to mention is that I know the hotel is near the US border, but the temperature was only in Fahrenheit, no Canadian national newspapers, but USA Today was there and the TV was always tuned to a Station.

i can appreciate the attempt to make our US visitors feel at home, but how about a National Post and posting temps in US and Canadian formats.

Room Tip: Wifi only available on the first floor
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 17, 2012

We've just returned from another stay at the Hampton, which has become our preferred hotel on frequent trips to family/friends in Windsor. Have probably spent 30+ nights there since the hotel opened. Have also stayed at the Radisson, Hilton, Holiday Inn Select and Residence at St. Clair College, but Hampton has become our preferred spot when we are travelling "en famille" and want some privacy instead of staying with my sister.

There are 3 adults in our party, and like the king bed with sofabed "suite" which includes a microwave and half-size frig, desk with free wired internet, upholstered lounge chair w. ottoman and sofa. Large flat-screen TV with lots of channels and video-game controller. Our son is 21 and tall, but still finds the sofabed comfy, much nicer than in most hotels.

We love the fact that all bedding is fresh; white duvets are spotless, beds very comfy, even the blanket for the sofabed was freshly washed and still wrapped. (I hate those hotels with the used, soiled bedspreads.) Lots of good-quality pillows (choose type you like) and thick white towels provided. Iron and board in every closet, full-length mirror. Free self-parking close to door.

Bathroom is spotless, has modern granite counter, clean grout, no mildew. Toiletries and typical hairdryer, very good lighting in bathroom and throughout room.

Excellent breakfast, including omellettes, bacon, cereals, oatmeal, all sorts of pastries, toast, bagels, waffle iron, good coffee varieties, juices. Something for everyone. Can be very busy on weekend mornings or when tournament/convention in town, so go early if pressed for time. Serves from 6 AM to 10 AM and food refreshed whole time, waitress/cook present.

This trip was last minute due to my mother's illness and we appreciated the fact that we could bring our small dog for a $20 refundable deposit.

Clean saltwater pool and hot tub, reasonable gym has 2-3 treadmills, ellipticals, bikes. No change room however, just a washroom.

If you are very sensitive to noise, ask for a room at the back of the hotel, Huron Church trucks are noisy, although this will be better after the new road for trucks is completed and truck traffic does lessen at night. Non-smoking floors available. Only negative for us is 24 hour advance cancellation required. It has caused us to book elsewhere if we may have to cancel due to a bad snowstorm or sickness of people we're visiting. Check-in and out (via TV) is always simple and fast.

Front desk staff are always great. Small "pantry" selling snacks and meals in lobby are reasonably priced, although Swiss Chalet, Pizza Hut, Tim Horton's, Rexall Drugs are all walking distance on the next couple of blocks. A new Applebee's is a bit further away across Huron Church Road towards E.C.Row.

Good location near E.C. Row Expressway, bridge to Detroit, University, St. Clair College, hospitals. You can get anywhere in Windsor in 10 minutes. Hampton doesn't have a view like the Hilton Riverside, but is located in a very safe residential area. Safe for walkers/joggers, even early or late, and we never worry about security for our car.

It is worth it to build Hilton Honours points, which we then redeem at international locations. If you are a gold member, for example, you can get free parking and free room upgrades in otherwise expensive hotels without spending a point. I'm always getting special promotions as well for double points, so they do add up. Great for business or pleasure travel!

Room Tip: Back of hotel, 6th floor non-smoking floor, away from elevator for quietest spot.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

You're not mistaking by going there. Breakfast is lovely, rooms are quiet and very comfy, pool is clean. Its 5 minutes away from the bridge to the US and 5 minutes from the boardwalk to see a view of Detroit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My Husband and I had to stay here on the way down to florida as well as on the way back. On the way down we got a King room that short changed us on towels..We didnt call down to get more as it was 1 am and we were dog tired. The room was $125 on a Thursday. On the way back I went in to get a room. I was quite shocked at the room rate for a Tuesday. It was over $150 for one night. I told him the problem we had on our last visit and he said "You should have called down to get some" I explained that it was very late and we just went to sleep. I was thinking why would I have to call down anyway. There should have been the right amount in the first place. He didnt even appologise. I have been in many Hampton Inns and Suites and this one though clean was not up to the standard of customer service that I have always been treated with. I was told by the rep at the desk that if I didnt like the rates I could try Comfort Inn up the road as they offer $100 rooms. I asked if he could do a wee bit better on that rate and said that was all he could do..Fine no problem. I just didnt appreciate the way he said it. I did stay there as Hampton is clean and again we were tired. I was asked if I had a laptop I said No and he pointed me to a Tall Unit off to the side of the place where you get breakfast. Inside the unit was a computer..In the middle of the hotel it was not private or comfortable. All the other Hamptons have a private business room with more than one computer. I just feel that being business oriented as the rep said, there should have a better business area and I felt that his people skills could have been better as well. There was a lady there working with him and she was fantastic..I wish I could have dealt with her..

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shaesgrammi
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Your typical nice Hampton with furnishings that are slightly sub-par (for a Hampton). Beer store next door, which is nice, except the hotel inexplicably does not have bottle openers. I stay here often. 7/10

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bensagle
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Check in was a nightmare. One person on duty to deal with people checking in and answering the telephone. There was a problem with my reservation (their fault completely, not mine) and due to the person's inexperience it took me longer than it's ever taken me to check into a hotel - we were exhausted and didn't want to stand there forever while the front desk person sorted it out.

I was handed a welcome letter from the hotel manager - I told the front desk person to please let the manager know I wasn't happy about my check in experience - I never heard a word of apology from the hotel management. I filled out an on-line survey that Hampton Inn sent me after my stay letting them know about my difficulties, and again no apology.

Breakfast was okay. The first morning the breakfast items were not refilled in a timely manner, therefore many of the items were missing when we were attempting to eat our breakfast. Not a lot of choice in the hot items - they have hot trays for 4 items but they just fill up the trays with the same foods.

Coffee available all the time in the lobby which is nice, but unfortunately they don't offer cream or milk, just a sugary liquid cream substitute which was really horrible (and I'm not really fussy about coffee). We ended up buying our own milk.

The room itself was clean and quiet - we were on a high floor at the back of the hotel. It was a room with 2 beds, and really had no where to sit and visit which was awkward. There was a desk chair and one other chair pushed to the side of the desk. Other than that we were sitting on the beds. I did see into a couple of the king rooms and they were much larger with a very nice looking sitting area.

The room itself smelled very strongly of something - we never figured it out for sure but think it was likely either new carpeting or the carpet had recently been cleaned. The smell was offensive enough that we had planned to visit with someone one evening in our room but ended up going out because they couldn't stand the smell in the room.

The beds were extremely firm - too hard for me but of course that is a personal preference - others may like a hard bed. I didn't sleep well on it though. The elevator was the slowest ever - pretty much everyone who was waiting or on an elevator with us commented on the incredibly slow elevators.

There was a large group in the hotel the same time as us - some sort of kids sports team I believe. Other than there not being anyplace to sit and visit in the lobby because it was so busy, the teams were never a bother thankfully.

Free internet (ethernet) was nice, but it would be nice to have wifi available in the rooms as well.

Overall I was sorry that I chose this hotel for our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the back to avoid the truck noises from the main road.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ktowntravllr
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We love our Hampton Inns. We had a great stay with some Internet lag in the afternoon evenings and the worlds slowest elevator! We felt at home there with friendly staff and good amenities.

• Stayed: December 2011