“May give it another chance.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mi Casita

Mi Casita
Ranked #154 of 768 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Southwestern, Spanish, South American, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: City Centre
Woodslee, Canada
“May give it another chance.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

After reading about this restaurant in a local magazine we decided to give it a try. I have to say I was disappointed. It started out well - the restaurant was clean and the server very pleasant. The nachos and fresh salsa we started out with were good. We ordered the queso flamedo and while it was edible, it was not exceptionally tasty. My friend and I both ordered chile rellenos with cheese(which in hindsight was probably not a good plan) which was served with beans and rice. I was not fond of the taste of anything, I found it bland and it had a bitter aftertaste. My friend was somewhat satisfied with hers. The server did make suggestions of other menu items we may enjoy, so we'll give it another chance somewhere down the road.

• Visited March 2013

“In my glory!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Finally decided to try this place out tonight, of course, not wanting to go out, we had it delivered. Beef tacos, enchiladas and flaming cheese (which they don't suggest for takeout) but working in a restaurant all my life, I knew I would have to reheat it. They delivered it all the way across town to us and the food was STILL AMAZING! The beef tacos where where the best I've had. I just wish they would try some fresh fish tacos, maybe even for a special!

“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

First we ordered margaritas the bartender took everything in the back to make the drinks, very odd. Took about 15-20 minutes just for the drinks and the place was practically empty so no excuse that they were too busy. Table salt was used for the rim rather than a coarse salt and it tasted like he literally poured salt into the drink. There was what appeared to be salt settled in the bottom of the glass. At least I hope it was just salt.

There were 6 of us and we ordered:

Chicken Quesadia was very soggy there was this disgusting minced meat, not even sure it was chicken. That is all that was in it, a gross pastey meat mixture no cheese, no nothing. There was however feta cheese on top of the quesadilla, I have never had feta on a quesadilla it was not good. Don't get me wrong I love feta it just does not go, google images for quesadilla and you will probably not find one with Feta.

Beef and chicken enchilada's were also soggy and contained the same pastey chicken. I have to admit that the beef was not too bad but it was far from great. Asked for some enchilada hot sauce and got this thick paste.

Taco's with yet again the same soggy gross shells. Nothing but beef inside it, no cheese, no lettuce, nothing but a pastey ground beef mixture.

I can't remember the name of the last dish ordered but it was again made with those same disgusting soggy shells.

For a table of 6 we were given a small bowl of chips and salsa (which was the best thing we had all night) between 6 of us this was obviously gone fast and we had to track the waitress down for more which we did not get in a hurry. When there's a table of 6 try putting out 2 bowls.

Ready to go and it's wait wait wait for the bill finally the waitress comes out of the back ask for the bill and we gave to go up and pay they do not bring the bill to the table.

I will never go back this was by far the worse food I ever ate out (if you want to call a few sample bites eating). A failed attempt at Mexican cuisine.

I should have taken photos of the food it looks nothing like the ones the restaurant posts.

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent and Fresh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I ordered the Chile relleno, a papusa, and a tamale - more than I needed for a lunch but I wanted to try these things. I can get a taco or burrito or enchilada, but never do you see these things on a Windsor Ontario menu!

They start with chips and salsa, nice crisp chips - not greasy at all - that taste home made and a fresh salsa. You could really taste the cilantro, and just the right hint of (I assume from the flavour) serrano pepper. Perfectly salt level in the sauce as well. Definitely not from a jar!

The tamale was a different style than I have ever had. Rather than your typical masa mix with fillings, this seemed like a fresher, doughier masa and it was unfilled. It was slightly sweet, with a dense, moist, yet not overly heavy texture. It was like the best corn bread I have ever had, but no grit of corn meal. I believe the menu said it was served with sour cream, but it was more likely crema - a thinner, tangy and even maybe salted cultured cream. Delectable, and will definitely be a regular order from now on. I think it was technically on the breakfast menu.

The chile relleno was piping hot and filled with a creamy white cheese. The sauce had a nice flavour and viscosity, and the pepper a bit of heat. The rice was hot, soft, but not overcooked with a delicate flavour. The beans were a soupier style, made from a darker bean than typical restaurant frijoles, but the complexity was out of this world. You could really taste a slow cooked meaty essence in them. Each item was a perfect compliment to the rest of the plate. I would order it again, and try the pork filled choice next time.

The papusa. Oh, the papusa! Something I had never tried and only read about. Was it everything I dreamed of? Yes. It. Was. And more! A smooth and springy masa pancake filled with an ethereal mixture of meat and cheese and beans. Delicately browned on both sides. The curtido was the perfect flavour and texture, like the best cole slaw you have ever tasted. Cabbage. Salt. Acid (did I detect lime juice?). Herb (if I had to guess, oregano). The tomato sauce was just that - a fresh sauce made from tomato. No spice, not ketchup, not salsa. Perfect compliment to the cabbage and the papusa. I can see a perfect lunch in my future, two or three papusas, and maybe a tamale.

The prices are right, the location is convenient to where I work, the food is fresh and the staff very friendly and helpful. I will definitely be back!

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Krysta G
windsor
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a simply delicious NEW flavor in town .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

The food here is full of flavor! This place is authentic and a true family restaurant.I went to Mi Casita this last week and found the dishes me and my wife ordered up to par with those found in neighboring Mexican town in Michigan. I would definitely recommend this place.
I would recommend trying:
the tacos,nachos,and the pupusas.

• Visited July 2012